Tedford’s Lumber got its start in 1946 when James Tedford Sr. and Bill Martin, just back from the Navy, took a portable sawmill into the woods along Linebrook and Topsfield Roads to cut timber. That winter was very tough, and the next year they decided to open a lumber yard on Brown Square, which been in business for almost 70 year, now continuing operations with new owners.
The old Wirthmore Feeds grain elevator at Telford’s Lumber had a long history of use by several businesses for grain storage including Wirthmore Feeds, William G. Horton, C.M. Jewett @ Co., and Chaplain’s Grain Storage. It was moved from its original location near the Town Wharf and the top section was added at the new location at Brown Square. It also survived the Burke Heel Factory fire in June of 1933.