The 1832 Ipswich map shows no houses on this side of upper Summer Street. These lots served as the back yard gardens and orchards for the owners of houses on East Street. Ebenezer Russell of East St. sold a rear portion of his East Street lot, forty feet front, to Charles C. Cotton, Feb. 27, 1840 (320: 79). The house and land were conveyed by Cotton one year later to Foster Russell and Daniel P. Nourse, Feb. 1841 (329: 202, 203). Russell and Nourse purchased several properties on Summer Street for development. The wide frieze board under the roof defines the house as Greek Revival.