Aaron A. Rutherford purchased the land in 1860 and built the house soon afterward. He was the owner of the property until after 1914. In 1906 the High St. bridge was constructed which isolated this section of High St. from the rest of the roadway. This is a simple foursquare house and once featured Italianate trim on the doorway with a bracketed hood.
Source: MACRIS, Anne Grady for the Ipswich Historical Commission