*Physical examination of the houses at #13, 15, and 21 East Street are needed for positive identification of these houses.
Thomas Franklin Waters wrote about the lots with the four small houses along the south side of East Street before County Street.
- “John Annable sold the homestead of his father to Francis Wainwright, a house and two and three-quarters acres, bounded by the highways on three sides, and on the south, the heirs of Richard Dutch, 1702 (16 : 36). The Dutch ownership, as we shall see, comprised the land now owned by Dr. Russell, the heirs of Ignatius Dodge, James N. Webber and John W. Nourse. Wainwright owned the rest of the square, including the lot granted to Rev. John Norton.
- The corner lot on East and County Streets was conveyed by Benjamin Dutch to George Robbins or “Roberds”, mariner. The deed recites that it was the mansion and homestead of his father, John Dutch, with one and a half acres. It was bounded by the Wainwright land and Thomas Dennis, Nov. 8, 1706 (18: 212).
- Robbins or Roberds sold a quarter acre to John Staniford, Jan. 18, 1713 (29: 156). Staniford, or his heirs, acquired more of the original lot.
- Jeremiah Staniford bequeathed it to sons Jeremiah and Ebenezer.
- Ebenezer conveyed his part to Mary Dennis, Feb. 17, 1813 (201: 118)
- The Dennis heirs to Ignatius Dodge, who already owned a portion by inheritance from his mother, it is probable.
- Dodge sold to Joseph Ross, a lot, bounded by Maynard Russell on the northwest and Frederic Willcomb, southeast, May 6, 1863 (651 : 32). It was owned later by Abigail H. Sweet (658: 45) and William Dawson (722: 14) who sold to John S. Glover, which appears to be today’s #15 East St.
- In the 1940 Census, this house was occupied by Caswell and Emma MacGregor.
On the 1856 map there is one building. The #13 is not the street address, but refers to the index on the map where it’s labeled “I. Dodge Shoe Shop.” The location at the curve in the street suggests that this is today’s #13 East Street.
- The 1872 Ipswich map shows this house owned by “Mrs. Goldtwait.”
- The 1884 Ipswich map shows this house owned by “Mrs Porter.”
- The 1910 Ipswich map shows #13 East Street is owned by “F. Lord.”
Vanessa Gladkowski wrote:
“We lived in the upstairs apartment of 13 East Street in 1964 to approx 1967 or 1968. The family who owned the building was the Hamm family. It was originally a single family home, the upstairs had been converted to a 2 bedroom/1 bath apartment. We were the Douglas family consisting of a widow and her four daughters. It was a great neighborhood to live in.”