The elegant Victorian house at 14 Liberty Street in Ipswich was built between 1896-98 by George B. Brown, who owned a grain mill on Washington Street
The wider floor plan and shorter elevation of this house suggests that the builders incorporated modern framing methods that were not available in the mid-1800’s when Victorian houses were still being built with post and beam construction. The house features a partial wrap-around porch and original woodwork and stairs inside.
Nancy Priest lived here before the current owner and tells us that the house started out as a one family home with a maid’s quarters in the attic. It was made into a two family, then brought back to a one family. She told us that there have not been many owners, considering the age of the house.
Sources and further reading:
- George Brown House, c.31 Washington St, 1883 (MACRIS)
- John A. Brown tombstone, Old South Cemetery, Ipswich
- Ada J. Dole Brown (wife of George B.) tombstone, Old North Burying Ground
- Mary Abby Lord Brown (wife of John A. Brown) tombstone, Old North Burying Ground
- George B. Brown House, 14 Liberty St.
- 1896 Directory of the Town of Ipswich
- The Agawam manual and directory: a directory of the Agawam district : first part, Ipswich, Rowley, and Hamilton, 1888 – Perley, M. V. B
- 1940 Census: George B. Brown at Liberty St.
- Candlewood: John Brown