The house at 155 Argilla Rd. is believed by the current owner to have been moved from its original location in Newbury MA to its present site on Argilla Rd in Ipswich. The date that of the building’s original construction is not known, but the move happened before 1839.
The Ipswich town site dates the house to about 1800, but architectural feastures such as the central chimney may suggest an earlier date of construction.
Franklin Waters wrote in Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony that in 1731, the heirs of Richard Saltonstall sold his farm on Argilla Road to the Rev. Nathaniel Rogers for £1850. Two years later, Rogers sold 84 acres with a dwelling and an earlier barn to John Day. After several generations of ownership by the Day family, Asa P. Stone acquired possession and built a barn on the property in 1839. That barn was recently moved to Northgate Road and restored. The heirs of Asa Stone sold to Roger Sherman Warner in Nov. 1915