50 North Main Street, the James Brown house (1700 / 1721) - The James Brown house is part of a larger 1700 house that was divided into three houses in the late 18th Century. The chamfered oak frame in the southern portion indicates late First period, while the northern section appears to date from the 1720s. The Morley house next door was separated and turned sideways.
95 High Street, the Simon and Hannah Adams house (c. 1700) - Simon Adams, a weaver and veteran of King Philip's War, owned this property in 1707, according to a deed of the adjoining property. (20:15). This "half-house" was originally extended as a leanto over the rear rooms. In 1906 the front door and old sash were changed and around 1919 the east ell was added.
12 Warren Street, the Louisa Wells house (c1700) - The Ipswich town assessors site indicates that this small house was constructed in 1700. The building was moved a short distance from Loney's Lane to face Warren St. at the beginning of the 20th Century,
7 South Village Green, the Rev. John Rogers – Col. John Baker House (c 1700-1761) - Daniel Rogers sold the old Rogers homestead to John Baker in 1761 and Baker greatly altered or built this house, which has much original material, including Georgian paneling and original fireplaces. This house is protected by a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission.
80 East Street, the Perkins – Hodgkins House (c 1700) - The Perkins-Hodgkins house is believed to have been built in 1700 on the foundation of the earlier Jacob Perkins home. The house has been greatly expanded over the years, but the original asymmetrical structure continues to anchor the corner with Jeffreys Neck Road.
8 East Street, the Captain Matthew Perkins house (1701) - Winner of the 1991 Mary Conley Award, this well-preserved 1st Period house sits on a former orchard lot that was sold in 1701 by Major Francis Wainwright to Matthew Perkins, a weaver and soldier. In 1719 Perkins opened an inn and tavern in this house, "at the sign of the blue anchor."
130 Topsfield Road, the Robert Wallis house (1703) - The Robert Wallis house at 130 Topsfield Road dates to the first half of the 18th Century. Original parts of the house may date to 1703, but the chimneys at either end of the building are indicative of a major 1750 renovation. Ensign Nicholas Wallis was born in […]
9 County Street, the Benjamin Dutch house (1705) - This house is believed to have been built early in the early 1700s, and was owned by one of several men named Benjamin Dutch. The asymmetrical facade is typical of First Period construction.
2 North Main Street, the John Appleton house (1707) - In 1962 the Appleton House was purchased by the Standard Oil company, which intended to build a gas station on the site. The Ipswich Heritage Trust was formed to save the house, the first major preservation action in Ipswich.
45 High Street, the John Lummus house (1712) - Jonathan Lummus, who served in King Philip’s War in 1675 was appointed a tithing man by the town in 1700. Lummus bought Captain Symon Stacy’s land and dwelling on High Street in 1712. This parcel had originally been granted to Thomas Dudley, Governor of Massachusetts. The house underwent a careful restoration by Phillip Ross in 1964.
32 Water Street, the Jabesh Sweet house (1713) - Jabesh Sweet built this house on a quarter acre lot by the river at 32 Water Street in 1713. People said that the ghost of Harry Maine the Mooncusser haunted the house that once sat where the garage for this house now stands. He was found guilty and staked to the Ipswich Bar for eternity.
16 Fellows Road, the Ruth Fellows house (1714, altered beyond recognition) - Joseph Fellows acquired the farm by inheritance and purchase. He served in the King Philip war and married Ruth Fraile on April 19 1675. He died before 1693, and Mrs. Ruth Fellows died on April 14 1729.
49 Candlewood Road, the Robert Kinsman house (b 1714) - Robert Kinsman constructed this First Period house before 1714, and the home has been greatly expanded over the years. Stephen Kinsman inherited the house in 1726, and with his wife Elizabeth Russell brought up a family of twelve children. They dwelt in the old Robert Kinsman homestead until 1767 when he sold his farm, 47 acres and buildings to Samuel Patch.
36 Water Street, the York – Averill House (1715) - Captain Samuel York built this house in 1715 after selling two smaller lots on East Street. The earliest portions of this house date from the early years of his ownership, Benjamin Averill, a Revolutionary War veteran, bought the house in 1793 and it remained in the Averill family until the late 19th century.
106 High St. the Caleb Kimball house (1715) - Caleb Kimball (1) was born in 1639 in Ipswich, the son of Richard Kimball and Ursula Scott. The owner has maintained the left inside as a First Period home, with exposed beams and a large fireplace. The right inside was updated with Georgian features, plaster ceilings and a Rumford fireplace.
104 High Street, the John Kimball house (1715) - This is is one of three John Kimball houses along High Street, two said to have been built by the father, the third by the son. The 1st period house has a chamfered summer beam and wide plank tongue and groove sheathing. This house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission.
59 South Main Street, the Philomen Dean house / Old Lace Factory (1716) - Dr. Philomen Dean bought this lot in 1715 and built a house. After various owners, the building was sold to the Boston and Ipswich Lace Co. in 1824, and an addition was built for the machinery.
52-54 High Street, the Kingsbury – Lord – Harris house (after 1716) - Although in 1660, Henry Kingsbury sold a house on or near this lot to Robert Lord, the present house probably dates to after John Lord gained possession in 1716, based on architectural observations.
341 Linebrook Road, the Lot Conant house (1717, altered beyond recognition) - Architectural evidence, family history and deed research indicate that the oldest (center) part of this house was the home of Lot and Elizabeth Conant, the first of that family in Linebrook, constructed in 1717.
41 Linebrook Road, Old Cross Farm (c 1717) - Originally a smaller house, constructed by John Denison the elder, it came into the possession of of Nathaniel Cross in 1761 and became a 25 -acre working farm. Several generations of the Cross family lived in this house, operating a weaver’s shop, fruit farm and poultry operation.
39 Summer Street, the Foster – Grant house (1717) - In 1717 Nathaniel Knowlton sold a small lot to James Foster who is believed to have built the house. In 1826, the family sold to Ephraim Grant, and the house was long known as the "Grant house." Early Colonial features are preserved throughout the house.
11 Summer Street, the Nathaniel Hovey house (1718) - Nathaniel Hovey Sr. lived only to the age of 28, about the time of the birth of his son Nathaniel Jr. in 1696. This house was probably built by the younger Hovey. The asymmetrical layout of the front of this house is because Hovey built a half house and expanded it later. A modified Beverly jog is on the left.
5 County Street, the Richard Rindge / Pindar house (1718) - The First Period house at 5 County Street was originally on upper Summer St., moved to this location in the last half of the 19th Century.
15 Summer Street, the Jonathan Pulcifer house (1718) - Jonathan Pulcifer built this house in 1718 on Summer Street, one of the "oldest ways" in Ipswich. He was a descendant of Benjamin Pulsipher, an early settler of Ipswich who died in 1695.
43 Summer Street, the Wilcomb-Pinder house (1718) - This timber-framed First Period house was built in 1718 by William Wilcomb. The interior of the home features hand-hewn summer beams, wide plank flooring and the original fireplaces. The next owner, William Benjamin Pinder was a corporal with Col. Appleton’s company during the French and Indian War.
2 Poplar Street, Swasey Tavern (1718) - John Ayres built a house in 1693, and sold it in 1705 to John Whipple, who did extensive alterations. In 1725 Increase How purchased the "good mansion house” from Whipple and ran an inn. In 1789 President George Washington addressed the citizenry from these steps. It was owned by General Joseph Swasey in the early 19th Century.
59 East Street, the Daniel Rindge house (1719) - The small lot fronting on East Street was sold to Daniel Ringe, Oct. 16, 1719 . It was sold to John Holland, Nov. 6, 1742. Daniel Ringe was an early settler of Ipswich, and as a young man worked as a cow-herd. Captain Ringe was a soldier in the Indian wars and became a prominent citizen of Ipswich.
297 Linebrook Road, the Joseph Chapman house (1720) - This house is one of the oldest structures in Linebrook. The post and beam frame has summer beams with simple bevel chamfers, supporting the 1720 construction date.
155 Argilla Road, the Holman-Ilsley house, c 1790 (moved here in 1951) - This house was moved to this location from Ilsley Farm in W. Newbury. Architectural features suggest an 18th Century origin.
73 High Street, the Nathaniel Lord house (C 1720) - This house is named after Nathaniel Lord who spent 36 years as the Register of Probate in the Ipswich Court. The western half of this house predates the eastern side and may have 17th Century elements.
46 Summer Street, the James Foster house (1720) - James Foster bought this former orchard land in 1720 from Nathaniel Clark who moved to Newbury. The northwest side is the original half-house, which was doubled in size and remodeled to appear Georgian, with the two chimneys, dormers and a symmetrical front. The house was owned by the Soward family in the 19th Century, and partially burned.
48 Turkey Shore Road, the Nathaniel Hodgkins house (1720) - The house at 48 Turkey Shore Road is believed to have been built by Nathaniel Hodgkins in 1720 on land formerly owned by Daniel Hovey. The gambrel roof indicates early Georgian era construction, and the rear ell was almost certainly constructed at the same time as an attached living area or kitchen, connecting to a utilitarian building. A second floor was added to the ell in the 19th Century.
“Labor in Vain House,” c.1720 (Labor in Vain-Fox Creek private road) - The house on Fox Creek Rd. known as the Labor in Vain Farm House was built around 1720, but has some late First Period features.
67 Turkey Shore Road, the Stephen Boardman house (1720) - This house is named for Stephen Boardman, the son of Thomas Boardman and Sarah Langley. He and his wife Elizabeth Cogswell moved to Stratham, NH where he made a name for himself as a vocal supporter of the American revolution.The wide pine board floors in the house are original, and 4 restored fireplaces share a central chimney.
3 Summer Street, the Benjamin Kimball house (c 1720, alt. 1803) - This house dates to about 1720 and was a single-floor 2 room cape moved to this location in 1803. The first floor outside corners have gunstock posts, evidence that they once supported the roof.
37 High Street, Lord – Baker House (1720) - The house is believed to have been built by Robert Lord III in 1720. The property continued in the Lord family until 1775, when Samuel Baker, felt-maker and hatter, purchased it. This early 2nd period house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission.
168 Argilla Road, the Tilton-Smith house (c 1720) - Built circa 1720 by Abraham Tilton Jr., a 1998 fire took away much of its original frame, but the owner totally rebuilt the home with with materials salvaged from 18th and 19th century structures throughout New England.
30 High Street, the Joseph Bolles house (1722) - Joseph Bolles, a carpenter bought this lot from Joseph Fowler with an acre of land and a house on it in 1722, which is the assumed date of this structure. This house began as a central chimney house, one room deep. Rooms were later added to the rear, and the roof rebuilt to cover the doubled house. The original oak frame is now thoroughly concealed, and second and third period trim dominate the house.
5 Summer Street, the Widow Fuller house (1725) - In 1754, Elizabeth Fuller sold this house and land to Thomas Treadwell, who also owned the house at 7 Summer Street. Stylistic evidence points to a construction date of c. 1725. Originally the house was one room deep, with a cased frame. An ell was added at the turn of the 19th century.
421 Linebrook Road, the Abraham Howe barn (1725) - This early 18th century barn served several generations of the Howe family, and was converted to residential use in 1948. Elizabeth Howe, convicted as a witch and put to death in 1692, lived nearby
11 County Street, the Bennett – Caldwell house (1725) - Joseph Bennett built this early Second Period house in 1725. In 1818 the house was sold to Capt. Sylvanus Caldwell, who engaged in maritime trade along the coast from Massachusetts to Maine for a half century.
14 East Street, the Baker – Newman house (1725) - John Baker obtained a section of the land extending down East Street to Spring Street, originally granted to Rev. Cobbet. John Baker Jr. sold eight acres with buildings including land on the hillside to Nathaniel Jones Jr. in 1742. Jones sold the house and lot to George Newman Jr., a weaver.
3 High Street, the John Gaines house (1725) - The John Gaines house at 3 High St. is a 1725 building remodeled in 1806 with Federal trim. The Gaines family in Ipswich are famous for the chairs they produced. The home also served for over one hundred years as the Episcopal rectory. This house has a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission.
115 High Street, the Baker – Sutton house (1725) - The widow of cowherd Haniel Bosworth sold this lot with a dwelling in 1702 to William Baker, who built this fine early Georgian house. The pilastered chimney and elaborate Connecticut Valley door frame were added in the 20th Century.
16 County Street, the Abraham Knowlton house (1726) - The original house is believed to have been constructed between 1725 and 1740. The house was in poor condition and in 2003 was restored by Ipswich architect Matthew Cummings. It is identical in construction to the Dennis-Dodge house a few doors away.
62 East Street, the Treadwell-Wainwright House (1691 / 1726) - Capt. John Wainwright bought 3 1/2 acres from Nathaniel Treadwell in 1710 and built part of this fine Georgian mansion, which features elaborate panels and molding, re-used summer beams, and a massive early fireplace.
31 South Main Street, the Dr. Joseph Manning house (1727) - A house on this lot was purchased by Timothy Souther in 1794 and stayed in the Souther family until 1860. It was taken down in 1917, and the Dr. Joseph Manning house was moved to this location so that an automobile dealership could be constructed across from the Old Town Hall.
18 East Street, the Baker-Dodge house (1727) - This house was built by John Baker III, and was purchased by Mary Dennis Dodge in 1818. The house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the town of Ipswich.
1 High Street, the Nathaniel Rogers Old Manse (1727) - The house was constructed for the Rev. Nathaniel Rogers in 1727 by Ipswich cabinet-maker, Capt. Abraham Knowlton. In the early 1900's the building was known as "ye Olde Burnham Inn". This house is protected by a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission.
88 County Road, the Col. Nathaniel Wade House (1727) - This house was built in 1727 by Captain Thomas Wade. On September 25, 1780, his son Nathaniel Wade received an urgent correspondence from General George Washington that General Arnold had "gone to the enemy" and to take command at West Point. The house is protected by a preservation covenant with the Ipswich Historical Commission.
12 Water Street, the Glazier – Sweet house (1728) - This house was built in 1728 by Benjamin Glazier, a sea captain, and transitions the First and Second Periods of Colonial construction. The original half house and early Beverly Jog addition remain intact, with later additions.
58 North Main Street, the Captain Richard Rogers House (1728) - Captain Richard Rogers bought this lot in 1728 and built this gambrel roofed house shortly thereafter. The balustrade, paneling and shell cupboards in this house indicate a high-style Georgian influence, one of the finest of its vintage in New England.
110 High Street, the John Kimball Jr. house (1730) - John Kimball Sr. acquired this land in 1708. Kimball's son, John Jr. built the house and a barn. The eastern half is older, and its timbers were originally exposed. The driveway is the original High Street before the bridge was constructed in 1906.
41 Candlewood Road, the Boardman house (c 1750) - Bryan Townsend completely restored this circa 1750 home built by Captain John Boardman or his son Thomas. The barn that Townsend restored received the 2009 Mary Conley award for historic preservation of an Ipswich property.
1 Turkey Shore Road, the Burnham-Patch-Day house c 1670-1730 - This house has a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission. The house was built by Thomas Burnham in 1730 on the foundation of the earlier house he bought in 1667. The large ell on Poplar Street was added in the early nineteenth-century. Abner Day bought the house of the heirs of John Patch in 1814 and kept a well-known tavern.
38 Newmarch St., the Tobias Lakeman House (1732) - In 1732, Stephen Minot acting on behalf of the heirs of Francis Wainwright, deeded a three acre parcel for £75 to Tobias Lakeman, a fisherman who drowned 6 years later in Casco Bay.
40 High Street, the William Caldwell House (1733) - William Caldwell built this house after purchasing the lot in 1733, The house remained in the Caldwell family into the 20th Century. Key features of the house include a large kitchen fireplace and exceptional period trim.
69 S. Main Street, the Samuel Dutch house (1733, rear section may be older) - Samuel Dutch bought this land in 1723 and built this house by 1733. The front appears to have been enlarged with a third floor and a hip roof during in the early 19th Century. The rear wing has a chamfered summer beam, suggesting that it was an older house.
44 Fellows Road, the Joseph Fellows Jr. house (1734) - The corner of Upland Road was known in early days as Fellows Lane, and it was near this corner, perhaps on this lot, that William Fellows, who settled in Ipswich in 1635, is believed to be buried. This house was constructed in 1734 by Joseph Fellows Jr.
50 Mill Road, the Caleb Warner house (1734) - Caleb Warner, clothier, bought Michael Farley’s interest in the dam and married the 16-year-old daughter of the miller, By 1755 he had a large farm and built this mansion. The rear section incorporates two earlier structures dating to before 1734, the year he came into possession of the land.
20 Market Street, the Stacey-Ross house (1734) - In 1733 John Stacey "being incapable of labor " petitioned the town that he may build a house beside the rocky ledge on the lower North Green "for selling cakes and ale for his livelihood." The house was moved to this location 100 years after its construction.
108 High St., the Dow-Harris house (1735) - This dwelling began as a half house, two rooms in depth, and was constructed about 1735 for Margaret Dow and her second husband John Lull. The entry room retains its original interior casings. Additions date to the 19th Century.
47 County Street, the Benjamin Grant house (1735) - The Benjamin Grant House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. It appears to have been originally built as a half house. Benjamin Grant was born in 1701 in Ipswich to Robert and Mary Grant, who emigrated from England. Benjamin married Anne Perkins in 1722, and was killed in the French and Indian War in 1756.
12 North Main Street, Treadwell’s Inn (1737) - In 1737, Captain Nathaniel Treadwell opened an inn in this building. John Adams visited Ipswich frequently during the 1770s in his capacity as a lawyer and always stayed at Captain Nathaniel Treadwell's inn. It was once erroneously named the Christian Wainwright house, which no longer stands.
57 North Main Street, the Day-Dodge House (1737) - This unusual double house has two entrances and asymmetrical bays. The corner at North Main and East Street is the oldest section and appears to have elements of a barn constructed by Francis Wainwright at this location in 1696. This house is protected by a preservation agreement.
27 East Street, the Widow Elizabeth Caldwell house (c.1740 / 1829) - Joseph Wait sold this lot to Elizabeth Caldwell, widow of Thomas, in 1829. She moved a house from another site onto her property. The rear two story wing is believed to be the older house, joined together when the house was moved. Structural evidence suggest a construction dates of about 1740 to 1775 for the two sections.
27 Lakeman’s Lane, the Benjamin Fellows house (c. 1719) - Benjamin Fellows' son Ephraim Fellows was a private in Captain Thomas Burnham's Company which marched on the alarm of April 19, 1775, fighting in the Battle of Lexington.
68 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Captain John Smith house (c 1740) - Richard Smith came from Shropham, Co Norfolk by 1641. His farm came into possession of Richard Smith. To his son, John, for £170, he conveyed an 18 acre pasture, bounded in part by the river, "with the new house and half the barn, standing at the south-east end of ye great field."
7 Summer Street, the Thomas Treadwell house (C 1740) - The original house consisted of a large room with a chimney and entry at the right. Raised field wainscotting in this room is the most exceptional early second period feature. The house was altered in the mid-18th century, and the kitchen and small rear room are finished with trim from this period. In the mid-19th century new stairs and a new chimney were built. The sloop, "Endeavorer," under Capt. Thomas Treadwell, was included in the fishing fleet of 1716.
68 High Street, the Wood – Lord house (c 1740) - After her husband Daniel disappeared in 1727 at Penobscot Bay after being attacked by Indians, the court allowed Martha Ringe to marry John Wood before the customary three years had passed "in order to advance her circumstances." It was owned by Nathaniel Lord and his heirs in the 19th Century.
10 County Street, the Dennis – Dodge House (1740) - The 1740 Dennis-Dodge house was owned by Captain John Dennis, whose father Thomas Dennis was a renowned woodworker and owned a home across the street. A succession of Dennis family members retained this property. Captain Ignatius Dodge (1816 - 1901) inherited the house. In the early 1800's, Eunice Hale maintained a school in the building.
178 Argilla Road, the Stephen Smith house (1742) - Sagamore Hill, which is near Fox Creek and Argilla Roads, was originally apportioned in small tillage lots to a considerable number of owners. The house was built by Stephen Smith, who bought the land in 1742.
38 East Street, the John Harris house (1742) - Thomas Harris purchased land along East Street in 1665. His son John was deputy sheriff and transported accused witches to Salem for trial. This sizable Georgian house was built by John Harris, 3rd or 4th generation. The property descended to Capt. Stephen Baker, whose heirs owned into the 20th Century.
164 Argilla Rd. the Francis Cogswell homestead, 1743 - Francis Cogswell purchased this property in 1743, but the date of construction is uncertain.
19 Summer Street, the Solomon Lakeman house (before 1745) - This lot was owned or occupied by Solomon Lakeman in 1745, but could have been constructed earlier. The 1832 map shows the owner as "The widow Lakeman."
2 Old England Road, the Captain Jabez Treadwell house (1748) - The Captain Treadwell house features Georgian-era construction. Captain Treadwell's ships, "The Dolphin," and "Hannah" sailed from the town wharves, where they loaded to Trinidad, St. Lucie, Point Petre and other West India ports.
48 North Main Street, the Thomas Morley house (c 1750, alt. 1845) - This house and its northern neighbor, 50 North Main, were a single structure before 1845, when Thomas Morley bought the southern portion of that house, separated and rotated it 90° to present a gable end to the street, and finished it for his dwelling. Thomas Morley was an artist and taught painting in his school on Summer St., which stood behind the present 47 North Main.
57 High Street, the Stone – Rust – Abraham Lummus house (c 1750) - This cape saltbox was built by Robert Stone and has many original features, including vertical feather edge sheathing. William Rust bought the house in 1851 and his heirs occupied the estate into the 20th century. The separate workshop/barn on the northwest corner is believed to be a former cobbler shop, once connected to the house.
21 High Street, the Haskell – Lord house (c 1750) - This fine house was built circa 1750 by Mark Haskell, an Ipswich cabinet-maker. Haskell served as a Light House Volunteer during the Revolutionary War. Daniel Lord married Eunice, the daughter of Mark Haskell, and Haskell conveyed to him the house and an acre of land in 1767, which is the first registered deed.
53 Argilla Road, the Samuel Kinsman house (1750-77) - Samuel Kinsman received this property in a bequest from his father Capt. John Kinsman, who married Hannah Burnham in 1733. The house is generally dated circa 1750 with a 1777 wing from an existing structure that was moved.
59 Candlewood Road, the Jeremiah Kinsman house (1752) - Stephen Kinsman built the house at 59 Candlewood Rd. in 1752. He bequeathed to his son Jeremiah "all my lands in Walker's Swamp with the dwelling house and buildings thereon, recorded Dec.27, 1756, by which time Jeremiah and his wife Sara Harris were living in it. This house is protected by a preservation agreement with the town of Ipswich and the Historical Commission.
100 High Street, the Joseph Fowler house (1720 – 1756) - Joseph Fowler, a carpenter bought the lot in 1720. Records indicate that an earlier house may have existed here before Fowler obtained the lot. The house has a 1-1/2 story, gambrel roof with a central chimney and exposed “gunstock” posts.
11 Waldingfield Road, “Applefield,” the Oliver Appleton Farm (1759 and earlier) - This property was part of the original Samuel Appleton farm. The 18th Century homes of Oliver Appleton and his son Oliver Jr. were moved a short distance and combined into one house by Charles Tuckerman.
307 High Street, the Moses Jewett house (1759) - Moses Jewett married Elizabeth Bugg of Rowley. He was Captain of a Troop of Horse in Col. John Baker’s Regiment, which marched on the Lexington alarm, April 19, 1775 and also marched to Gloucester on November 29th of the same year.
232 Argilla Road, the Patch-Brown-Crockett house (c 1760-85) - John Patch died in 1799 leaving the Sagamore Hill farm to his grandson Tristram Brown, who built the dwelling, which he operated as a boarding house on the way to the beach. Dr. Eugene A. Crockett bought the property along with its dairy and hay farm in November 1897.
7 South Village Green, the Rev. John Rogers – Col. John Baker House (c 1700-1761) - Daniel Rogers sold the old Rogers homestead to John Baker in 1761 and Baker greatly altered or built this house, which has much original material, including Georgian paneling and original fireplaces. This house is protected by a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission.
9 High Street, the Samuel Newman house (1762) - Joseph Newman built the house at 9 High Street in 1762. It was later owned by Samuel Newman. The present form of this house is composed of at least 3 structures, and the attic tells the story. It started out as a colonial home with a center chimney and center entrance.
38 North Main Street, the Old Post Office (1763) - This structure was built in 1763 as part of the historic Dr. John Manning property. Probably originally a barn or warehouse, it became the post office in 1790. This building also served as the shop of Daniel Rogers, a master gold and silversmith who later moved to Newport RI.
114 Topsfield Road, the Goodhue – Adams house (1763) - The home at 114 Topsfield Road is known as the Goodhue-Adams-Patch house. The Goodhue and Adams families were among the original settlers in Ipswich. The house is believed to have been built in 1763.
34 High Street, the White Horse Inn (1659 / 1763) - John Andrews, innkeeper sold this lot with a house in 1659. The First Period structure was greatly altered and expanded after its purchase by Jeremiah Lord in 1763, and took its present appearance around 1800. It stayed in the Lord family into the 20th Century.
208 Topsfield Road, the Joseph and Judah Goodhue house (1767) - After the death of Chrales G. Rice in 1943, the Winthrop family purchased their farm and the old Goodhue house. The Winthrops built a large house close to the river, and left this house still standing.
43 High Street, the Fitts- Manning-Tyler house (1767) - This house is believed to have been built in 1767 at today’s 42 North Main Street. Sophia Tyler bought a lot on High St. in 1873 and removed the Fitts house to the property. Located between the Daniel and Jonathan Lummus houses, the three properties are on land that was originally granted to Thomas Dudley, governor of Massachusetts for four years, and Ann Bradstreet, America’s first poet.
36 North Main Street, the Dr. John Manning house (1769) - This house has one of the first preservation agreements in Ipswich, created by the Ipswich Heritage Trust. Dr. Manning was also an inventor and built an unsuccessful wind-driven woolen mill on the site of the present Caldwell Block next to the Choate Bridge. His second mill at the Willowdale Dam was more successful.
80 Essex Rd., the Nathaniel and Joanna Kinsman house (c 1770) - Nathaniel Kinsman, son of Aaron and Hannah, was, born in Ipswich, Oct. 17, 1795; he married Joanna Brown, Dec. 16, 182
10 Washington St., the Mary Holmes – Captain John Lord house (b. 1770) - The house was constructed before 1770 at 45 N. Main St., and was moved to this location in 1860 by Michael Ready. The second floor was probably added at that time.
49 North Main Street, the John Chapman house (1770) - This house was built in 1770 by John Chapman a "leather breeches maker." In 1822 Captain Ephraim Kendall sold the house to Ebenezer and Daniel Russell, and throughout the rest of the 19th Century the house stayed in the Russell family.
8 Warren Street, the James Harris house - In 1887, William Russell removed a house built in 1772 by James Harris at 12 High Street and built his Victorian house. The old house at that location was removed to 8 Warren St., in the ownership of David Grady, and expanded.
85 High Street, the Phillip & Elizabeth Kimball Lord house (1774) - This house was built about 1774 by Phillip Lord when he married the widowed Elizabeth Kimball Warner who owned the property. In 1832, the house was acquired by Benjamin Fewkes, who smuggled the first lace stocking machine into this country from England in 1818. He set up his hosiery shop In the rear of the house.
86 County Road, the Burnham – Brown house (1775) - This house was built in 1775 on a lot on Candlewood Rd., probably by Thomas Burnham. In 1821 Nathan Brown bought the house from Oliver Appleton, and 3 years later he removed it to its present site on County Rd. Brown and others enlarged and remodeled the old Burnham House, but some 18th century features remain.
65 Candlewood Road, the Rhoda Kinsman house ( 1776 / 1818) - Jeremiah Kinsman died in 1818, and his will bequeathed the “Walker’s Island farm” to his sons Jeremiah and William in equal parts. William or his son William Jr. built this house next door, which was known as the “cottage." It came to be occupied by Rhoda Kinsman, daughter of William Jr.
5 South Village Green, the Aaron Smith house (1776) - Aaron Smith married Lucy, the daughter of John and Eunice Baker next door. A metal worker, He produced bayonets for the Revolutionary War. The clocks he produced are highly valued.
2 Turkey Shore, the Heard – Lakeman House (1776) - Nathaniel and John Heard bought this land in 1776 and built the present house. Nathaniel sold the house to Richard Lakeman III in 1795. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, and has a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission.
315 Linebrook Road, the William Conant house (1777) - William Conant (1747-1826) amassed considerable real estate in Ipswich. His son William, known locally as “Young Squire Bill" was a selectman, assessor, and overseer for the Town of Ipswich for many years.
14 Candlewood Road, the Joseph Brown and Elizabeth Perkins house (1779) - Elizabeth Brown, descendant of the early Candlewood settler John Brown, was the wife of Captain Perkins, and gained possession of this lot. In December, 1779, their daughter, Elizabeth, became the wife of Joseph Brown, of the same family line, who built this house.
35 Mill Road, the Captain William Warner house (1780) - The road from the dam to Topsfield road was originally located west of Mill Rd. This house was moved from its original location near the bridge, and a section of the old road is now the driveway.
61 Turnpike Road, the John Foster house (1780) - The sign that hung at Foster's Tavern has been stored in a barn at the Ipswich Museum for a century.and reads, "I shoe the horse, I shoe the ox I carry the nails in my box I make the nail, I set the shoe, And entertain some strangers too."
44 High Street, the Francis Goodhue house (circa 1800) - This house displays refined Federal-era features indicating the late 18th or early 19th Century for its construction. The barn and the lower level of this house may be half a century older.
321 High Street, the Aaron Jewett – Mark Cate house (1780) - Aaron Jewett's daughter, Eliza married Mark Cate of Rowley, and for years it was known as the "Cate house." Sarah Houghton bought it in 1912 and opened a popular tea-room known as "The Rose Tree Inn."
437 Linebrook Road, the Allen Perley farm (1784) - Part of this structure is an older home that was moved from Rowley to this location by John Perley. He and his son Silas expanded it in either direction. Over the years, a large area of land along Linebrook Road came into the possession of the Perley family.
106 Argilla Road, the Octavia Hamlin house (1784) - The Hamlin Reservation is a 135 acre former coastal farmland, with a rocky forested island surrounded by salt marsh, now owned by the Trustees of Reservations. The house an barn were moved from across the road in about 1916.
3 Newbury Road, the Philomen Foster house and barn (1787) - Philomen Foster was a deacon of the Linebrook Church and was a member of the Linebrook minutemen. This 18th century cape retains much of its historic character.
15 County Street, the Rev. Levi Frisbie house (1788) - This house at 15 County Street was built in 1788 for Rev. Levi Frisbie, pastor of First Church in Ipswich. He continued in the pastorate thirty years until his death in 1806, succeeded by the Rev. David Tenney Kimball.
9 Woods Lane, the Francis Merrifield – Mary Wade house (1792) - Francis Merrifield, Jr. bought this corner lot from his father in 1792 and built the gambrel cottage. Mary Wade, Jr., daughter of Col. Nathaniel Wade of Revolutionary War fame, bought the property in 1827. She bequeathed her estate to her nephew, Francis H. Wade. The house remained in the Wade family well into the 20th Century.
11 Woods Lane, the Merrifield house (1792) - The oldest part of the large house at 11 Woods Lane was built in 1792 by Francis Merrifield, Jr. who served as a lieutenant in Capt. Nathaniel Wade’s Co. during the Revolutionary War. The Merrifield House, also known as Rosebank, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980 and is a past recipient of the Mary P. Conley award.
219 County Rd., Samuel Appleton “Old House” (1794) - Appleton Farms is one of the oldest continuously operating farms in the country, gifted to the Trustees of Reservations by Francis and Joan Appleton. It was originally granted to Ipswich settler Samuel Appleton. The farm continued in family ownership for seven generations. The property consists of forests, fields, […]
66 High Street, the John Harris-Mark Jewett house (1795) - This house was built in 1795 by John Harris. In 1784 John Heard convinced the town that if it would buy John Harris' previous home at the corner of High and Manning, he would provide $400 annually for the care of the poor.
54 S. Main St., the Heard House / Ipswich Museum - The Museum provides tours of the First Period Whipple House and works by nineteenth-century Ipswich Painters including Arthur Wesley Dow.
8 Agawam Avenue, the Newmarch – Spiller house (1798) - Hannah Newmarch Spiller was Zaccheus' grandaughter and wife of Thomas Newmarch, who is assumed to have built this house.The estate was bequeathed by Hannah's sister Martha Newmarch (who was unmarried, to Hannah Spiller, daughter of her late sister.
52 N. Main Street, the Treadwell – Hale house (1799) - This building is believed to have been built after the land was sold to Nathaniel Treadwell 3rd in 1799. He transferred to Joseph Hale one month later. There is a stone cooking hearth in the basement of the house, which is protected by a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission.
19 North Main Street, Thomas Manning house (1799) - This house was built by Dr. Thomas Manning in January, 1799, and remained in the family until 1858, when it became a parsonage. This house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission.