375 Linebrook Rd., the Thomas Foster house (1800) - This area was settled by Fosters in the mid 17th century and remained in the family until the late 19th century, when it became part of the adjoining David Tullar Perley property. This is one of three traditional five-bay, two-floor Federal houses in Linebrook.
34 Mitchell Road, the Mitchell Farm (1800) - There has been a farm on this site since the late 17th century. Structural evidence suggests that the present house was constructed about 1800. From 1870 until the 20th century the building was owned by the Mitchell family.
30 Summer Street, the Smith-Barton house (moved 1880) - The house at 30-32 Summer Street may have been the High Street home of Daniel Smith, and was moved to the current location in the 1880’s by John Conley. The house was occupied by Civil War Veteran John Barton.
24 Market Street, the Aaron Jewett house (c 1800) - Constructed around the beginning of the 19th Century, this small building has served as Tetrault Jewelry Store since 1941, one of the longest-lasting family businesses in Ipswich.
42 High Street, the Abner Harris house (c 1800) - This house was built by Abner Harris in 1800. The Ringe house that formerly stood on this lot is said to have been moved to Central St.
16 Mineral Street, Wise Saddle Shop (c1742 (?) /1801) - Jabez Farley sold this lot to Joseph and John Wise in 1801, who probably built this small dwelling shortly thereafter. As late as 1832, this was the only house on Mineral Street.
1 Lords Square, Payne School (1802) - In 1802, the North District decided to construct a schoolhouse with public subscription. In 1891 it was moved from its previous location where the laundromat is now, and received extensive repairs. Payne School was last used for students in 1942, and since 1972 has served as the Ipswich School superintendent's office.
26 North Main Street, the Agawam House (1806) - Nathaniel Treadwell built the second Treadwell's Inn in 1806. In the mid-1800′s the inn was modernized with Victorian architectural elements and was renamed the Agawam House. It continued to be the town's first class hotel until it closed in the late 1920′s.
36 Candlewood Road, the Martin Keith house (1807, moved 1995) - The Martin Keith House (1807) is a fine Federal era specimen that stood for two centuries in Middleborough MA. by 1990 it was barely salvageable with rotted sills and interior damage. In 1995 buyers from Ipswich agreed to have it restored on their property.
310 High Street, the Stephen Pearson house (1808) - Stephen Pearson served under Benedict Arnold and after Arnold's treason under Colonel Nathaniel Wade of Ipswich. From this farm he sold a wide variety of products including hides, shoes, and black walnuts. Pearson's granddaughter, Emily Pearson Bailey published a book of poems in the late 19th century.
83 High Street, the Isaac Lord house, 1696 (?) – 1806 - This house was in the Lord family for several generations. The right side is possibly the 17th Century home of Richard Kimball. Boards and timbers from the 1771 Jail on Meeting House Green were used when the house was enlarged in 1806. The house is currently undergoing extensive renovation.
8 Meeting House Green, the David T. Kimball House (1808) - In 1808 the jail site was sold to Reverend David Tenny Kimball; the old jail was removed, and he built the house that is located there now. Rev. Kimball was highly respected for his ministry and a staunch abolitionist.
285 High Street, the Daniel Nourse house (1809) - Daniel Nourse, a farmer, bought the property in 1790 and built the present house in 1809. This was the home of John W. Nourse, farmer, civil engineer, and local historian who uncovered hundreds of Native American artifacts in his fields. The Nourse family cemetery is located nearby. A milestone from the Old Bay Road is in the basement wall. This is one of the finest Federal-era houses in Ipswich Village and has fallen into decay through neglect.
392 Linebrook Road, the Emerson Howe house (1810) - Emerson Howe was a farmer and member of the Linebrook Militia. This house incorporates Georgian, Federal and Greek Revival features, and includes some reused First Period building materials.
92 County Road, the Nathaniel Wade house and shop (1810) - The Nathaniel Wade house and shop at 92 County Rd. was constructed in 1810. Many of the 19th Century houses on the east side of County Rd. were built by the Wade family, many of whom were contractors.
35 East Street, the Luther Wait house (1810) - In 1872 Luther Wait removed the County jailor's house to this location. Wait served on several town boards including the school committee and as town assessor, and served two terms as postmaster.
85 County Road, the John Wade house (1810) - The John Wade house was built at the far end of South Green in 1810, but was moved further down County Road in 1948 to make room for the South Green Burial Ground expansion. This house bears remarkable similarity to the homes of housewrights Asa Wade and Samuel Wade, both still standing in their original locations on County Rd. facing the South Green.
9 Green Street, the Elizabeth Holland house (1811) - The house on the southeast corner of County Street was built by Elizabeth Holland on Meeting House Green in 1811, and was moved to lot by John How Cogswell between 1872 and 1884.
3 Candlewood Rd., the Brown-Whipple house (1812) - Joseph Brown built this house in 1812 as a dwelling for his son, James, and sold him the house and 3 acres, Dec. 23, 1817. The entire estate of Joseph Brown eventually was inherited by James. In 1852, D. F. Brown and the other heirs sold their interest to Hervey Whipple, who had married Martha P., daughter of James Brown, July 3, 1852. The heirs of Hervey Whipple still occupied into the 21st Century.
290 High Street, the Jacob Pickard house, (1812) - Jacob Pickard, Jr. of Rowley, married Tabitha Jewett in 1788, purchased and inherited land at this location and built this house. He purchased the Jewett sawmill on Dow Brook in 1816, and with his sons, Isaac and Nathaniel, "operated the mill with the old-fashioned up-and-down saw until the later half of the century."
56 Fellows Road, the Josiah Brown house, (1812) - The pasture land along Fellows and Candlewood Roads was purchased in the mid-17th Century by John Brown. His descendant Josiah Brown built this house in 1812. For over two hundred and forty years after John Brown bought the farm, it remained by inheritance in the Brown family through successive generations.
6 Meetinghouse Green, the Captain Israel Pulcifer house (1812) - On the night of June 9, 1811 the house on this lot burned with most of its contents. Captain Pulcifer rebuilt at once. Originally a hip-roof Federal style house, restoration in the 1870’s added a Second Empire mansard roof.
18 Green Street, the Isaac Stanwood Jr. house (1812) - Captain Isaac Stanwood was born in Ipswich, May 2, 1755. On January 24, 1775, he was enrolled among the Ipswich minute-men, and marched as a private in Captain Nathaniel Wade's company, in the alarm of April 19, 1775.
93 High Street, the John Cole Jewett house (1813) - John Cole Jewett bought the High Street estate of Josiah Martin by 1767, when he was mentioned in a deed of an abutter. Jewett's heirs sold the property in 1813 to David Lord. Stylistic evidence indicates that the present house was built shortly before the 1813 transfer.
188 Argilla Road, the Oliver Cogswell house, 1815 - Oliver Cogswell built this dwelling about 1815. In the early 20th Century it was purchased by Dr. Joseph L. Goodale of Boston, who improved the plain farm dwelling into an attractive summer home.
50 Argilla Road, the Burnham-Andrews house (1815) - The Burnham farm at one time stretched both sides of Argilla Road. This house was probably moved a short distance to this location by J. Howard Burnham in the late 18th or early 19th Century.
29 North Main Street, the Odd Fellows Building (1817) - In 1817 the Probate Court and Registry erected this building for its own use. In the year 1852, the Registry and its records were removed to Salem. By 1884 a second floor had been added, and it housed the Odd Fellows upstairs, with Blake's Drug Store downstairs.
403 Linebrook Road, the Timothy Morse house (1817) - Timothy Morse Jr. (b. 1783) was a fine carpenter by trade and the house retains much of his finish work. Antique wide pine floors and period detail have been maintained.
6 East Street, the Daniel Russell house (1818) - In 1818 Daniel Russell bought the land with the old Norton - Cobbet house on it, the home of two of the first pastors of the First Church in Ipswich. Daniel Russell, the son of Henry and Mary Lord Russell. Daniel Russell was born in Ipswich on August 14, 1767 and died on December 29 1837, having lived 70 years. His wife was Sarah Sutton.
16 High Street, the Jacob Manning house (1818) - Jacob Manning in 1818 built this house at 16 High Street in a small space between the Poor House and the Lord House next door. That former Poor House was later torn down.
29 High Street, the Daniel Brown Smith house (1819) - Daniel B. Smith, cabinet maker, received a small section at the eastern edge of his father's lot, and built a house upon it.
10 East Street, the Nathaniel Harris house (1819) - Nathaniel Harris built his home in 1819 on a section of land from the Baker Newman property next door. His widow Elizabeth Staniford lived into her 90's. The county laid a pipe connecting a spring on this land to the house of corrections on Meetinghouse Green.
175 County Road, the William Manning house (1820) - The large Federal-era house on the campus of the First Presbyterian Church in Ipswich was built by William Manning in 1820 after he purchased a portion of the ancient Potter family Farm.
79 County Road, the Manning-Kinsman house (1820) - The house was built in approximately 1820, and was moved back on the lot when the Verizon telephone company building was constructed in the 20th Century.
36 South Main St., the Hall-Haskell House (Ipswich Visitor Center), 1820 - The Ipswich Visitor Center is located in the Hall-Haskell House on South Main Sreet.. Open weekends in May, seven days a week Memorial Day through October.
90 County Road, the William Wade house (1822) - Captain William Wade was a carpenter by trade, and the house features an attractive stairway and handrails in the front entry hall. The Wade family dominated this stretch along County Road.
45 County Street, the Amos Dunnels house (1823) - The Amos Dunnels house was constructed in 1823 on South Main St. and was moved to 45 County St. in the 20th Century.
30 Candlewood Rd., the Ephraim Brown house (1825) - More homes of the Brown family in Ipswich
21 Lakemans Lane, the John Manning Farm (c 1825) - The house and barn at 21 Lakeman's Lane were constructed by John Manning 3rd who inherited the farm from his father. The barn features hand-hewn post and beam framing with gunstock corner posts, and may predate the house.
40 North Main Street, the Captain Brewer house (1825) - Captain John Brewer bought two small parcels on North Main St. in 1824 and on them built the present house as a general store.
37 South Main Street, Baker’s Store (b. 1828) - The former Baker's Clothing Store at 37 South Main Street was built in 1828. Properties along the river side of South Main St. were granted in the late 17th Century to establish businesses along the corridor where people entered the Ipswich.
72 County Road, the David Giddings house (1828) - The site of the David Giddings house was bequeathed by Jonathan Wade to his grandson Nathaniel in 1749. In 1828 Wade sold the lot and the shop standing on it to David Giddings, who enlarged it to a two-story dwelling facing the Green.
84 County Road, the Reverends Daniel Fitz and Moses Welch house (1829) - The house was used as a joint residence by Rev. Moses Welch, who assumed the pastorate of Linebrook Church in 1831, and the Rev. Daniel Fitz, who assumed the pastorate of the nearby South Church in 1827 upon the death of the Rev. Joseph Dana
The Appleton Schoolhouse, 55 Waldingfield Rd. (before 1832) - The former Appleton Schoolhouse sits on the estate at 55 Waldingfield Rd.
4 East St., the old Methodist Parsonage, 1830 - The house at 4 East Street was constructed about 1830 and served as the Methodist Parsonage. The first sanctuary of the Methodist Church was located next door at the location of the present-day Ipswich Inn.
25 East St, the Stanwood-Willcomb house (1830) - Stephen Stanwood erected this house in 1830 for a fulling mill. Sheep grazed on the bare hills above East and High Streets, and the mill used water that ran from the springs. This is said to be the first house in town to have running water. Fred Willcomb and his brother Lewis E. Willcomb operated a store here at Willcomb's Corner.
89 High Street, the Moses Jewett house (1830) - Moses Jewett was born in Ipswich, Mass., March 15, 1778 to John Cole Jewett and Elizabeth Smith, whose home stands at 93 High Street.
25 Market Street, the Nathaniel R. Farley Shoe Factory (1830-56) - One of the oldest commercial buildings still standing on Market Street, it was originally the Nathaniel R. Farley shoe factory. The building was altered in 1856 to its current appearance. In the second half of the 20th Century the building housed Goodhue's Hardware Store,
87 High Street, the Sewall Jewett house (1830) - The heirs of John Lord sold the lot at 87 High St. to Sewall P. Jewett in 1830, which is the year in which the house is believed to have been built. At one time, this side of High Street was lined with homes owned by members of the Jewett Family.
33 East St., the Old Store (1830) - The house at 33 East St. was built in approximately 1830 near the corner of East and County Streets for use as a store by James Quimby, and was moved to this location in 1850 by Joseph Wait.
84 High Street, the John Smith house (c 1830) - This house first appears on the 1832 map of Ipswich, in the possession of John Smith. In 1958 the house was purchased by Wilbur Trask, Many of his photos are featured on this site.
78 County Road, the Samuel Wade house (1831) - In 1831, Samuel Wade purchased a lot and built this house as his home. In the early-mid Twentieth Century, the Samuel Wade house became the Southside Nursing Home, with 20 rooms & 13 bathrooms. It was restored as a private residence by the Marchand family, who made it their home in the 1960’s and 70’s.
76 County Road, the Asa Wade house (1831) - This building is similar to the house next door, which was built by Samuel Wade, who may have built both houses. Asa Wade is buried in the Old South Cemetery across the street.
296 High Street, the Oliver Bailey house (1831) - Oliver Bailey, a shoe maker who also operated a small farm at this house he built in 1860. He married Judith Howe of Rowley, and their son Eban Howe Bailey lived to be 100 years old, well-known for his popular spiritual musical compositions.
68 Essex Rd., the Levi Brown house (1832) - George W. Heard sold an acre and a half to Levi Brown, who had bought a half acre from his father, March 21, 1832. He built a dwelling and other buildings.
17 Summer St., the William and Margaret Chapman house (after 1832) - Margaret L. Chapman, wife of William Chapman, died Nov. 21, 1889, aged 80 yrs, 10 mos. William Chapman, son of Jedediah Chapman, died July 24, 1899, aged 86 years, 3 months.
166 Linebrook Road, the William Lummus house (before 1832) - The present house at 166 Linebrook and the ancient Kozeneski barn that stood across the street were built by the Lummus family.
11 Topsfield Road, the Jacob and William G. Brown house (b 1832) - William Gray Brown, occupied this house after his fathers death and continued his father’s ice and coal business. He also owned and operated the Agawam House hotel facing Meeting House Green. The turret and porch are Victorian additions.
12 Meeting House Green, the First Church Vestry (1832) - Built in 1832, the Vestry at 12 Meeting House Green was deeded to the First Church in Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1838 by George W. Heard, Esquire. It has served First church and the community of Ipswich as a Chapel and now as a coffee house and meeting place. The historic building was recently restored.
12 Market Street, the Abraham Wait house (1832) - Constructed in 183, this house is the only surviving early 19th Century brick building on Market Street. Abraham Wait and his brother operated a shoe store, and over the years the building has been used as a bank, business office, doctors office, and dwelling house.
306 Linebrook Road, the Deacon William Foster Conant house (1833) - Deacon William Foster Conant (b. 1802, d. 1886) was, like his father and grandfather, a well-respected member of the community, a deacon of Linebrook Church and captain in the Linebrook Militia. His business included lumbering, farming, and road-building.
8 Woods Lane, the James Peatfield house (1833) - James Peatfield purchased this lot on what was then called Fruit Lane in 1833, one of the earliest brick capes in Ipswich. He sold the house to Asa Kinsman in 1859, and built a large home at 46-48 Washington Street by 1860.
30 South Main Street, the Old Town Hall (1833) - The Unitarians built their church here in 1833 but sold it to the town ten years later to be used as town hall. The lower section was constructed at the corner, the old Unitarian Church was moved on top.
315 High Street, the Apphia Jewett house (1834) - The land in the vicinity of 315 High Street was owned by the Jewett family since it was purchased by Captain Moses Jewett in the third quarter of the 18th century. Olive Jewett married Captain George W. Howe of Rowley on November 26, 1835 and Captain Howe built upon the lot.
311 High Street, the Amos Jewett house (1834) - Captain Moses Jewett purchased this land in the late 18th Century. His grandson Amos built the house in 1834 for his bride. His small shoe shop still stands on the property.
18 North Main Street, the Charles Kimball house (1834) - Charles Kimball attained honor as a colonel of the militia, a distinguished probate lawyer, and deacon of the Church. He was one of the original trustees of the Ipswich Female Seminary. The house shares a subdued Greek Revival style with the Stephen Coburn house next door. It is remembered as the home of the Manning School master.
37 East Street, the Stephen Baker house (1834) - The small two story three bay colonial at 37 East Street was built in 1834 by Stephen Baker Jr. as a storehouse for his grocery. The lot was also used a lumber yard and Baker opened a way to the river, constructing a wharf at the end of the lane.
35 Mineral Street, the Smith house (c 1835) - The Ipswich Assessors map shows the date of construction as 1823, but it first appears in the 1856 Ipswich map, and continues into the 20th Century as the Smith house.
395 Linebrook Rd., the Alvin T. Guilford house (1835) - This house is one of several story-and-one-third cottages constructed in Linebrook in the first half of the 19th century. Alvin T. Guilford, who lived here throughout the second half of the 19th century, was a farmer and shoemaker.
78 Washington Street, the Daniel Haskell House (1835) - The Federal trim and substantial chimneys identify this house as perhaps the earliest of the story-and-one-third 19th century cottages on Linebrook. It is uncertain which Daniel Haskell Sr. or Jr. was the owner. Records show that both died of dementia.
79 High Street, the Thomas H. Lord house (c 1835) - The ancient Joseph Lord house was at the approximate location of the present Thomas H. Lord house, which was owned at the beginning of the 20th Century by descendants of Joseph Lord. This house appears to have been built between 1814 and 1835.
66 County Road, the Southside Store (c. 1836) - The South Green also had a grocery store for many years. Originally known as the Goodhue Grocery, in the 20th Century it was called the South Side Store. The store closed in 1980.
16 Elm Street, the Baker – Tozer house (1835) - Samuel S. Baker, active in real estate, bought the lot at 16 Elm Street and built this house in 1835. He sold it to shoemaker William S. Tozer (1804-1860) in 1841. The house is said to be three combined structures, one having been moved from a different location.
82 County Road, the Brown – Manning house (1835) - The widow Judith Manning and single woman Mary Brown had the house at 82 County Rd. built for them in 1835. It remained in the family until the late 19th century.
68 County Road, Calvin Locke’s Folly (1836) - Otis Holmes sold this lot to Calvin Locke in 1835 (286:247)., and this impressive Greek Revival house was built a year later. The size of the house and the tall Greek columns on the front exceeded his resources such that the house came to be called "Locke's Folly." Locke was an overseer in Augustine Heard's lace factory, the Ipswich Manufacturing Company.
34 North Main Street, the William Pulcifer house (1836) - William Pulcifer was a dry goods storekeeper who built the combination storefront, office and residence building at 34 North Main St. in 1836. This is the only brick residence in the Meetinghouse Green Historic District
10 Woods Lane, the Edward and Eliza Plouff house (1837) - Sanford Peatfield sold this lot to Eliza Plouff, wife of Edward Plouff, Feb 4, 1837. Plouf purchased and operated the old Farley tannery from 1849 to 1863. Their sons John W, and Edward Plouff Jr. both were sent to the front during the Civil War.
10 Summer Street, the Charles and Abigail Cotton / Moses Harris House (1838) - The Moses Harris house at 10 Summer Street is listed in the Ipswich assessors office as having been constructed in 1838. The gable end of the house faces the street with pilasters surrounding the front door, the roof rakes and cornice returns are wide, and the trim is […]
31 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Nathaniel Scott house (1838) - The Treadwell family operated a farm at this location for nearly two hundred years. Nathaniel Scott succeeded and built this house in 1838. The residence features original fireplaces, ovens, beams, moldings and flooring.
11 South Village Green, the Gables (1838) - This house was designed by mathematician David Baker as an upscale lodging for lawyers in town for the Ipswich court. He was unable to repay the money he borrowed from Augustine Heard, who took possession. In the 1920's Nellie Huckins purchased the house and ran the Gables Tea Room.
2 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Merrill-Kimball house (1839) - Abigail Holland sold Ezra Merrill, a mariner, 3/4 of an acre in 1839 and he built the present house shortly thereafter. The house was conveyed to his daughter, Kate M. Kimball, upon his death in 1901 An interesting feature in this house is the presence of an oven on the second floor, suggesting that it may have been a 2-family house.
27 Northgate Road, the Asa Stone Barn (1839) - This restored barn was moved from its previous location on Argilla Rd. The barn is a good example of an early 19th century “Yankee Ground Barn."
4-6 Summer Street, the Cotton-Nourse house (1840) - Ebenezer Russell sold this lot to Charles C. Cotton, Feb. 27, 1840. Cotton built a double house, and sold half of the house with a partition running through it, and half of a barn to Foster Russell and Daniel P. Nourse in Feb. 1841. Cotton retained half of the house, but by the late 19th Century the house was owned solely by the Nourse family.
22 Elm St. (c. 1840) - The house at 22 Elm Street sits behind other houses on the street, its foundation resting in the Ipswich River. The Ipswich assessors site gives the date of construction as 1840. The 1856 Ipswich map indicates that this building may have originated as worker housing or part of […]
347 Linebrook Road, the Foster-Conant house (1840) - This building is one of several story-and-one-third 19th century cottages in Linebrook, a popular building type of the mid-19th century. Cyrus Conant, the second owner is said to have been the strongest man in town and "could cut and pile four cords of wood in a day."
419 Linebrook Rd., the Eliza Howe Perley house (1840) - This house was constructed by William Perkins Perley shortly after his marriage to Eliza Howe, and was described as "beautiful of situation" and picturesque. Mrs. and Mrs. Perley divorced in 1845, and she acceded to ownership and managed the farm, living there until over 90 years of age.
112 High Street, Timothy Ross house, 1840 - When the Eastern Railroad was built in 1840, Timothy Ross was building a new house at this location. When the High Street bridge was constructed in the early 20th Century, the road curved in order to preserve the row of houses on the original High Street.
13 Argilla Road, Thomas and Elizabeth Brown house (c 1844) - The simple exterior is enlivened by Victorian elements, including two door hoods with elaborate scroll brackets decorated with incised floral motifs and sunbursts. Thomas Brown is the first known owner of the house (shown in a map dated 1856).
8 Summer Street, the Daniel Glazier house (1840) - Manning Dodge sold a part of his lot fronting on Annable’s Lane (Summer Streeet) to Daniel Glazier on July 20, 1835. Glazier built his house here soon thereafter, about 1840.
3 Spring Street, the James Scott house (1840) - The first use of 3 Spring Street as a residence was between 1832-1856. It is possible that the building may have been used as a barn or shop before that. The 3 Spring St. property was portioned off from the large two-acre parcel originally owned by Francis Jordan.
16 East Street, the Lakeman-Johnson house (c 1840) - This house was built between 1837 and 1846 when mariner Richard Lakeman sold the land “with the dwelling house and other buildings thereon,” to his brother, Captain Ebenezer “Eben” Lakeman. The house has an Asher Benjamin doorway and has a preservation agreement with Historic New England.
2 Meeting House Green, the Joseph N. Farley house (1842) - Joseph K. Farley, bought an old house on this lot in 1842, moved it to upper High Street, and built this "mansion.:The Ipswich Manufacturing Company opened in 1830, and Joseph Farley Jr. was the clerk and paymaster. His ambitious plan to divert water above the dam through a canal to supply power for a mill on the lower river near County Street never succeeded.
17 County Street, Daniels Shoe Factory (1843) - This house was built in 1843 near the EBSCO dam as Hoyt’s Veneer Mill. It was moved in 1859 to its present location where it became the Perkins & Daniels Stocking Factory. Farley & Daniels succeeded in 1884.
91 Old Right Road, the Jacob Potter house (c 1845) - This property is in the vicinity of several early Potter family homesteads. With wide exterior casings and pedimented window heads, the house is one of the more elaborate Greek Revival cottages in Linebrook.
17 Argilla Road, the Samuel Wade – S. F. Canney house (1845) - Samuel Wade built this house as a cottage in 1845. In 1856 it was owned by S. F. Canney, whose lumber company burned at its first location by the County Street Bridge, and again at its Brown Square location.
16 North Main Street, the Stephen Coburn house (1845) - This Greek Revival home was built in 1845 by postmaster Stephen Coburn. After the death of his widow it became the Lucy B. Coburn Home for the Elderly, a benevolent institution, and is now Kaede Bed and Breakfast.
4 Elm Street, Condon’s Grocery - This building was constructed in 1847 and served for many years as T. E. Condon's grocery. During the Great Depression this was the "Free Store."
56 Market Street, the Lord-Sullivan-Haskell house (1847) - Captain John Lord made his last voyage as master of the ship Miles Standish to Calcutta sailing May 17, 1855. The next owner was John J. Sullivan was an inventor with multiple patents for improvements to sewing machines.
12 Summer Street, the Ezra W. Lord house (1848) - his was the childhood home of Walter Ezra Lord, born January 22, 1856. He graduated from the high school with the class of 1871, and established himself in a general dry goods business in Ipswich, and was regarded as one of the substantial men of that town. He served 5 years as a selectman, and in 1895 was chosen representative of Ipswich in the lower house of the General Court.
391 Linebrook Road, Linebrook Parish Church (1848) - Linebrook Parish was incorporated in 1746 by an act of the Massachusetts Legislature. The first sanctuary was located nearby on Leslie Road. It was dismantled and re-erected on this site in 1828. The building was taken down and the present church was built 20 years later.
56 N. Main St., the Dodge and Spiller Grocery (c 1850) - In 1854, Manning K. Dodge, who owned several lots at this end of North Main Street, sold the house to Richard K. Dodge. For several decades it was the location of the Dodge and Spiller grocery store.
42 East Street, the Joseph Hovey house (1850) - Joseph Hovey bought a lot in 1843 from the estate of Thomas Boardman, and an adjoining lot in the rear at about the same time from J. H. Boardman. The old Boardman house was torn down about 1850, and Joseph Hovey built a house on the lot, which appears in the 1856 map.
3 Loney’s Lane, the Aaron Day Wells house (c 1850) - Aaron Wells resided in the only house on Loney's Lane, and each year he was a candidate for Selectman. Promising that if he won, he would have a tunnel dug under Town Hill so that people would not have to climb it. He was a good man but he never got elected, and thus there is no tunnel under Town Hill.
317 High Street, the Capt. George Washington Howe house (1850) - Olive Jewett, daughter of Moses Jewett, Jr., married Captain George Washington Howe of Rowley who built the present house. The 1907 barn was originally on the north side of the house near the road.
3 County Street, the William Treadwell house (1850) - The house does not appear on the Ipswich maps through 1910, at which time this tiny parcel was owned by Dr. Russell. It may be a wing of the Captain William Treadwell house which was removed from the other corner of East Street in order to widen the intersection.
316 Linebrook Road, the John Peabody house (1850) - John Peabody married Eunice F. Conant, daughter of Joseph Conant and Ruth Guilford of Rowley. This house is believed to have been his cobbler’s shop. The house was recently enlarged and altered.
24 High Street, the J.W. Gould House (b 1850) - This house was built on a part of the original estate Nathaniel Lord estate. The earliest known owner is a Caldwell, but it was in the possession of the Gould family by 1872. The house was renovated extensively in 2014.
16 Summer Street, the Treadwell house (1852) - The house at 16 Summer Street was built by the husband of William Treadwell's daughter Elizabeth.
248 High Street, the William Spiller house (c 1838) - Nehemiah Jewett Jr. owned ten acres of land and married Sally Jewett, October 22, 1795. He built a dwelling on the lot. Jewett's heirs sold the house and acreage to William B. Spiller in December, 1838. The architecture of the house is Greek Revival.
393 Linebrook Rd., the David Tullar Perley house (1851) - This building is one of the most unique Greek Revival cottages in Linebrook, built by David Tullar Perley soon after he began to purchase land in the vicinity. Perley became the largest cattle broker in the county and built the fine Victorian house and barn at 387 Linebrook Rd.
5 Linebrook Rd., the Richard Lane house (1851) - Richard Rogers Lane built the house in 1851, He died in 1858, and his only child, Etta, inherited the house. which is mentioned in the 1898 deed when she sold it to Charles W. Woodbury.
48 High Street, Samuel W. Baker house (1852) - The straw-roofed Baker house that stood on the corner of High St. and Mineral St was razed in 1849 and replaced with the current structure.
4 Green Street, the William H. Graves house (1852) - William H. Graves was born in 1821. At the age of 27 he was a cordwainer, and married Hannah S. Dodge.
48 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Hannah Aspell house, 1854 - Hannah & Larry Aspell bought the lot and built a small 2 room building on it. In 1880 Hannah sold the property to the Lombard family as a summer residence. They added a barn, second floor and kitchen.
66 Argilla Road, the George Haskell house (1855) - George Haskell, a lawyer, constructed the large white house on Argilla Road at the base of Heartbreak Hill in 1855-56. A gentleman farmer, he invested his time in a quest for the ultimate wine grape.
6 Agawam Avenue, the Augustine Carey – Captain John Hobbs house (1855) - This house was built in 1855 by Augustus C. Carey, who sold it in 1865 to Captain John Hobbs, who recruited two companies of Ipswich men during the Civil War, one of which he led to the front.
6 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Oliver L. Sanborn house (1855) - Deacon Francis Caldwell sold a lot measuring 61 ft. on the road and 290 ft. deep on Jeffreys Neck Road to Oliver L. Sanborn, October 25, 1854 who built this house in 1855. Sanborn's wie Mary was the daughter of Francis Treadwell on East Stret.
19 Mineral Street (1856) - In 1856, Mary Lord Baker, widow of Stephen W. Baker transferred 1 1/2 acres including this lot to Mary Philbrook. The Philbrook family constructed a house on the property, which appears in the 1872 Ipswich map.
17 Manning Street, the Candlewood School (1856) (moved to this location) - Records indicate that the 1856 schoolhouse on Candlewood Road was moved to this location and enlarged in 1905 to relieve overcrowding in the original Winthrop School. . The form of construction predates the Victorian style of the other houses on the street.
36 Summer Street, the John Brocklebank house (1856) - The Brocklebank family in Essex County traces its roots to John Brocklebank Sr. born about 1630 in Yorkshire, England, who moved with his wife Sarah to Rowley, MA in 1657. Jenny Ellsworth came into possession of this house and 38 Summer St. in 1930.
124 High Street, the Joseph King house (1856) - The house was moved to its present location when the High Street bridge was built in 1906. The King House was constructed in an older Federal style, and originally had a frontispiece with fan and sidelights.
13 East St., Ignatius Dodge Shoe Manufacturing (b.1856) - On the 1856 map this appears to be the "Ignatius Dodge Shoe Shop." The 1910 Ipswich map shows #13 East Street is owned by "F. Lord."
9 East Street, the Foster Russell house (1856) - Samuel Hunt sold a half acre at the foot of his lot on East St. to Foster Russell and D. P. Nourse, May 9, 1855, and Mr. Russell and his wife Martha Hodgkins built this house.
2 Labor in Vain Road, the McMahon house (b 1856) - Local legend is that the house was built by a sea captain, and it is haunted. The first owner of record is Elizabeth McMahon, daughter of Elizabeth Appleton and Thomas McMahon. She sold the house to James Galbraith in 1864. The owner on the 1910 Ipswich map is Henry Perry Willcomb.
24 Fellows Road, the Fellows – Appleton House (b 1856) - The earliest section of the Joseph Fellows – Daniel W. Appleton House at 24 Fellows Road was built before 1693. It was moved to this location and greatly altered in 1832 by Daniel W. Appleton.
14 High Street, the George Lord house (1857) - George Lord followed his father Nathaniel Lord as Register of Deeds in the County office that is now the Odd Fellows building, and built this house in 1857.
10 Hammatt St., the old South Church Vestry (1857) - This house was originally the Vestry for the South Church, and sat on South Main Street near the South Green. It was moved to its current location and converted into a two-family dwelling.
31 North Main Street, the Methodist Church (1859) - The Methodist Society was established in Ipswich in 1824. The current Methodist Church on Meeting House Green was constructed in 1859. The steeple appears on the town’s seal, drawn by Ipswich artist Arthur Wesley Dow.
34 Lakeman’s Lane, the Wade-Kinsman- Cameron house (c 1860) - Deed searches suggest that Asa Wade's barn may have been converted into a residence by Mary or William Kinsman., expanded and modernized in 1939.
10 Mineral Street, the W. Smith house (c 1860) - The 1872 Ipswich map and the 1884 map show a house at this location owned by "W. Smith." In the 1910 map, the owner is J. A. Smith.
2 Green Street, the John Perkins house (1860) - This corner was originally part of a larger lot owned by General Denison. Captain Treadwell and Nathaniel Lord Jr. were later owners, and then Mr. John Perkins, who built this house.
48 East St., the Tyler Caldwell house (1860) - Tyler Caldwell was "a man of thrift and industry, and amassed a comfortable property; respected in the town and well-beloved in the neighborhood where he lived."
23 East Street (c 1860) - The Ipswich Patriot Properties site indicates that the house at 23 East Street in Ipswich was constructed in approximately 1930. The Historical Commission records show that it was constructed between 1856 and 1872, as determined by the dates on which it appears on town maps. No further information […]
3 East Street, the James W. Perkins house and Provisions (1860) - This house was built between 1856 and 1872. Samuel Hunt purchased the ancient Day-Dodge house at the corner of North Main and East Streets on Feb. 14, 1849 with three lots adjoining. The 1856 Ipswich map shows Burroughs Machine Shop at this location. The 1896 Ipswich Business Directory lists J.W. Perkins, Provisions and Meat Market at this location on East Street.
118 High Street, the Aaron Rutherford house (1860) - Aaron A. Rutherford purchased the land in 1860 and built the house soon afterward. He was the owner of the property until after 1914. In 1906 the High St. bridge was constructed which isolated this section of High St. from the rest of the roadway. This is a simple foursquare house and once featured Italianate trim on the doorway with a bracketed hood.
116 High Street, the Samuel Rutherford house (1860) - Samuel P. Rutherford built the house shortly after purchasing the lot in 1860. Joseph Martel purchased the building in 1906, the year that the High St. bridge was constructed which isolated this former section of High Street.
114 High Street, the Tibbets-Fowler house (1860) - In 1906 the High St. bridge was constructed which isolated this section of High St. from the rest of the roadway. This Greek Revival cottage is similar to several mid-19th Century houses in Ipswich.
46 Washington Street, the James S. Marble- James Peatfield house (1860) - This two-family house was came into the possession of Sanford and James Peatfield in 1859. James Peatfield came to America in 1827. He built one of the first lace machines in this country, and invented a warp machine, after which he began manufacturing woolen underwear. Together with his brother, Sanford, Peatfield built a brick mill on Washington Street.
18 Washington Street, Sanford Peatfield House (1860) - This house was built for Sanford and Mary Peatfield around 1860. Sanford and James Peatfield built a brick mill on Washington Street and continued making woolen underwear until about 1877. The factory became the Hayes Hotel, and burned in the 20th Century.
280 Argilla Road, the Inn at Castle Hill (1860) - Originally built as a farmhouse in the mid-1800's, businessman John Burnham Brown, inherited and expanded it into a larger home with a road system and gardens. Richard T. Crane purchased the property in 1910 and spent summers here while his mansion was under construction. In 2000, The Trustees of Reservations opened it as “The Inn at Castle Hill.”
78 East Street, the James Glover house (c 1860) - James Glover came to Ipswich from England with a long warp weaving machine about 1845. He worked at the Lower Mills until he opened his own textile factory ca. 1860. He manufactured hairnets, knit goods, hoods, and shawls. Glover employed 40-50 hands in the Civil War period, but by 1897 the mill was closed.
25 County Street, the J. Caldwell house (c 1860) - The house at 25 County Street in Ipswich was built in approximately 1860 on a corner of the former Ipswich Jail grounds. The 1872 Ipswich map shows the owner as J. Caldwell. In 1910 the owner is N. S. Kimball.
96 County Road, Old South Church Parsonage (1860) - This charming small house with elaborate Italianate trim was built in 1860 as the parsonage for the South Congregational Church, which was at the head of the South Green. The church burned in 1977. The Rev. Thomas Franklin Waters and his family lived in this home.
45 North Main Street, the Isaac Flitchner house (1860) - In 1860 the Captain John Lord house was moved to Washington Street, and Dr. Isaac Flitchner built this fine Italianate house on the lot. It was the home of Justice Charles Augustus Sayward who tried the 18 defendants in the 1913 Ipswich Mills riot.
1 Scotton’s Lane, the Choate-Scotton house (c 1863) - In the year 1834, Charles Choate moved to Ipswich from Essex with his family and began building vessels at Baker’s Wharf. His sons Lewis and Edward took up the trade and continued the business. Amos Scotton immigrated to Boston and settled in Ipswich. He married Eliza Brown and had 8 children. He passed away on 1905 in Ipswich. His son Amos Scotton, an Ipswich jeweler and knit goods, purchased this property before 1910.
2 East Street, the Robert Jordan house (1863) - The “Old Brick,” the home of esteemed Col. Francis Wainwright was at this location in the 17th and early 18th Century. The original Methodist Church meeting house was erected here in the 1830's. Robert Jordan, a clothing merchant, bought this lot in 1862, and built this fine Italianate home. Dr. George C. Bailey was the next owner, but then built the large Victorian house at 48 Market Street in 1887.
6 Newbury Road, the Joseph B. Perley house (1865) - The site was first settled by Nehemiah Abbott, who married James Howe, Sr.' s daughter Mary in 1659 and farmed this part of his father-in-law's land. By the late 18th century the Perley family owned and farmed the site.
16 Washington Street, the Patrick Riley house (c 1865) - Patrick Riley is listed in town directories as a farmer. By 1924 this house was occupied by Isaac W. Mitchell, a carpenter.
102 County Road, the Rowell-Homans house (c 1865) - A brick powder house was constructed near this house. Ira Worcester sold Jane Rowell, the half acre lot on Aug. 31, 1865, on which she built this dwelling, later owned by Mr. Homans, with the right to the Town to keep the Powder house. April 18, 1871.
33 North Main Street, the Nathaniel Wait house (1865) - Nathaniel Wait was a cobbler, and placed on exhibit at the Essex County Fair a pair of fishing boots judged excellent for their absence of an inside seam. He was a trustee of the church and helped arrange the purchase of County land for construction of the present edifice in 1859.
46 N. Main Street, the James Damon house (1866) - James Damon bought this property from Thomas Morley in 1866, removed an 18th century house and built this Italianate mansion. The 2 1/2 story house has Italianate window hoods, quoins, bracketed and decorated cornice, a bold arrowhead and dentil eaves. Damon was a businessman who owned the County Street Mill on Falls Island at Sawmill Point, as well as the “Damon Block” downtown in Ipswich.
6 Hovey Street, the Thomas Foulds Ellsworth house (1866) - Captain Thomas Ellsworth built this house after purchasing the old Mansfield lot in 1866. He sold the property to Howard C. Dodge in 1887.
83 Central Street, the International House (1866) - In 1866 the International House was built by the Eastern Railroad beside the Ipswich Depot. It was moved in 1882 to make room for a new depot. It continued to be operated as a hotel, and In the 1970's and 80's was known as the House of Hinlin.
7 Liberty St., the John W. and Annie M. Lord house (C 1867) - The house at 7 Liberty St. first appears in the 1872. and was first owned by John W. Lord and his wife Annie M. Pingree.
26 County Street, the John M. Dunnels house (1867) - This home was constructed in approximately 1867 by J. M. Dunnels, who was a "tin and sheet iron worker" with a shop downtown.
48 Summer St., the Alonzo and Abbie Butler house, (1868) - in 1884 Abbie Butler and Alonzo Butler sold to Sarah Burnham the house next door at 46 Summer St. Ownership was transferred to Nathaniel Burnham in 1923.
104 Essex Rd., the Joseph and Abigail Marshall farm (1869) - Part of the early Argilla Farm of Samuel Symonds was owned by John Choate and his heirs, and later by Nathaniel Kinsman and his heirs. The large house and barns were erected while the farm was owned by Joseph and Abigail Marshall.
62 Washington St., the Robert Stone house (1869) - 62 Washington St., Ipswich MA
25 North Main Street, the Ipswich Public Library - The Ipswich Public Library at 25 North Main Street in Ipswich is an 1869 Greek Revival building. The library and the first books were a gift to the town from Augustine Heard. and a large endowment by Professor Daniel Treadwell, whose family homestead originally sat at this location. The wings on either side were added later.
14 Summer St., the Isaiah Rogers house (c 1870) - The first known owner of 14 Summer St. Is Isaiah Rogers, shown on the 1872 Ipswich map. The property was sold in 1886 to Sara Fellows Lord.
79 East St., Curran house (c 1870) - The 1872 Ipswich map shows a house with this configuration with the name T. Curran. Two acres "with the buildings thereon" at or near this location was sold for $100 by Timothy and Julia Curran in 1859 to Israel K. Jewett, who already owned adjoining property.
31 Mineral Street (c 1870) - This house first appears in the 1872 Ipswich map. The first owner is shown as "Caldwell." "Gable and Wing" houses with Italianate Victorian woodwork are found throughout Ipswich dating to the period from 1860-1880.
3 Mineral Street, the Charles H. Baker house (c 1870) - The house at 3 Mineral Street was constructed between publications of the 1856 and 1872 Ipswich maps. The earliest owner to be identified is Charles H. Baker who owned the house by 1884. Baker is listed is town directories as a "flagman", possibly for the local branch of the Boston & Maine Railroad.
26 Mineral Street (c 1870) - In the 1872 map, this house and the house at 22 Mineral Street are owned by Ephraim Harris, but only the latter appears in the 1856 map. By 1910 both houses were owned by Mrs. A. Spiller.
20 Mineral Street, the Lucy Ackerman house (c 1870) - This house began as a story and a half Mansard cottage, with the Mineral Street wing added later. The small front mansard cottage is shown in the 1872 map with the name "Mrs. L. Ackerman,"
17 Liberty St., the Blaisdell house (c 1870) - The 1872 Ipswich map shows the owner of this house as "L. Blaisdell."
15 Liberty St. (c 1870) - The earliest identified owner is C.W. Davis who owned the house by 1872. By 1884 the house had been sold to John W. Russell, a freight agent, who continued to own the house into the 1920’s.
91 Central Street, the Sylvanius and Mary Canney house (c 1866) - The house at this location first appears in the 1872 Ipswich map under the name "S. F. Canney." Sylvanius F. Canney purchased the lot in 1866, and sold the house and land to Israel Jewett in 1869.
61 High Street, the Timothy B. Ross house, c 1870 - The house at 61 High Street was constructed in approximately 1870. Abutting the cemetery abutted on the east, the owner was Timothy B. Ross, a teacher in the Ipswich schools.
47 Jeffreys Neck Rd., the Dodge house, Greenwood Farm (1870) - Greenwood Farm was a summer retreat for the Robert G. Dodge family. The 1694 Paine House sits behind, owned by the Trustees of Reservations.
17 Spring Street, the David Dow house, 1857 - This is the childhood home of reknowned Ipswich painter Arthur Wesley Dow.
15 East Street: Dawson’s Bakery; James and Louise Glover house (c 1870) - The house at #15 East Street may have been a small shop before it was converted to residences. The 1872 map shows the building at this location as “Dawson Bakery.”
32 Washington Street, the Frederick Bray – Daniel Nourse House (c 1870) - The first owner of this house, built around 1865 was Frederick Bray, a Civil War veteran. By 1884 it was owned by Daniel P. and Sarah Nourse. Nourse died by 1888 and the house was sold. By 1916 it was occupied by Dennis and Nora Monahan. Dennis is listed in town directories as a mason.
11 Liberty Street, the Levi Howe house (c 1870) - The descendants of Levi L. Howe, a farmer, owned this Gothic Revival cottage until 1953. Ken Savoie restored its appearance, and was the winner of the 1992 Mary Conley Award for historic preservation.
21 East Street, the George Russell house (c 1870) - The first known owner of this house was George Russell, (1823-1884) a mason. His parents were Daniel Russell and Mary Lakeman.
44 East Street, the John Roberts house (c 1870) - The Ipswich Historical Commission records the date of construction as 1856/1872 by John Roberts, through the marriage of Mary Elizabeth Hovey (1843-1928) to John Roberts (1824-1903).
59 Turkey Shore Road, the Elizabeth and Otis Glover house (c 1870) - Elizabeth Glover, wife of Otis Glover, inherited the property at 59 Turkey Shore Road from her father, Abraham Soward. She moved the old house off the lot and built this large Queen Anne house on the location. Her husband Otis Glover was in the Civil War from 1861 to 1864, and lived until 1903.
15 South Main Street, the Caldwell Block (1870) - The Caldwell Block stands on the site of the former Massachusetts Woolen Manufactory, constructed by Dr. John Manning in 1794. The property was sold to Stephen Coburn in 1847 and housed the post office and other shops. The building was destroyed by fire, and in 1870 Col. Luther Caldwell erected the present building.
4 Lords Square, Old Fire House (c 1870) - The empty yellow building at Lords Square once served as a fire station, housing engine #2 the Neptune, and the town's first motorized fire truck, Hose 2.
31 Summer Street, the Bartlett house (c 1870) - Ezekiel Bartlett sold this property to Frederick Willcomb in 1872. The decorative brackets under the soffets and porch roof are Italianate, suggesting a mid-century construction.
63 Turkey Shore Road, the Isaac Foss house (1870) - Mary Appleton, daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth Appleton married, first, Mager Woodbury at 67 Turkey Shore Rd., and had two children. Mary Appleton Woodbury died in 1828; He died in October 1837. Their daughter Mary married Thomas McMahon at the old Abraham and Elizabeth Soward house at this site. […]
23 Mineral Street, the Lydia and Joseph Lord house (1871) - Andrew Geyer purchased the lot in 1871 and in 1873 sold the lot with a house on it to Lydia and Josiah Lord.
92 Central St., the Abbie G. Lord house, 1871 - The house at 90 Central St., was constructed after Andrew Geyer purchased the lot from Amos Smith in 1869. He sold the finished house to Abbie G. Lord in 1873, who sold to Maria J. Brown in 1897.
42 North Main Street, the John Johnson house (1871) - Margaret Kendall sold John A. Johnson this lot on Oct. 15, 1870. The old Fitts residence on the lot was moved to 43 High Street. Johnson built a large, elaborate Italianate mansion which remains one of the finest examples of that style in Ipswich. The gabled carriage house, complete with cupola and characteristic Italianate details, still remains. The Johnson shoe store was down the hill on Market Street.
13 Summer Street, the Daniel Clark house (1872) - This lot with a house was purchased by Daniel Clark, in 1872. The old house is believed to have been moved to 5 County Street, and the present house was erected. It served as Phillip Clark's funeral home.
40 Summer Street, the Denison Rust house (b 1872) - Denison Rust deeded the house to Vallancourt E. Rust in 1906. In the late 20th Century this house was owned by the Brockelbank family.
108 Central Street, the George W. Baker house (1872) - 108 Central Street is one of three identical houses along this stretch of Central Street. George W. Baker, who served in the Civil War from February, 1962 until August, 1865 occupied the house after its construction.
37 Summer Street, the William H. Jewett house (b 1872) - The elegant Cape Cod Colonial at 37 Summer Street first appears as the W. Jewett house in the 1872 Ipswich map, although the town website lists the date of construction as 1825.
109 Central Street, Daniel and Mary Collins house (1873) - The house at 109 Central St. appears in the 1884 Ipswich map as “Collins,” and is shown in the 1893 Ipswich Birdseye map. Daniel Collins deeded the house to his “loving daughter” Mary Collins in 1887. The “parcel of land” “on the new road” was conveyed by Nathan […]
9 Poplar St., the Seward – Mavroides house (1873) - William Seward built the house at 9 Poplar St. in 1873, but for 7 decades its been owned by the Mavroides family. The "gable with ell" plan with vernacular Italianate features was popular in the second half of the 19th Century.
22 East Street, the Moses Fellows House (1873) - Thomas Sweet sold this lot to Moses A. Fellows and Sarah G. Hodgkins in 1873, and Fellows built this Italianate house shortly thereafter. Fellows owned a lumber yard on Water Street.
13 Mount Pleasant Avenue, the Mary Nugent house (1874) - This house is probably the oldest on Mount Pleasant Avenue, but its early history is uncertain.
49 Turkey Shore Road, the Austin Measures house (1874) - Austin Measures’ Candy Shop was first located in a small building on North Main Street, and later on Central Street. This house was built in 1874. The low-pitched roof, window hoods and corbels supporting the flat roof portico are of Italianate influence.
38 High Street, the Joseph N. Caldwell house (c 1875) - Nathaniel Caldwell purchased by public auction the property of the late John Lord on December 20, 1861, and transferred to Joseph N. Caldwell half an acre with buildings on it on December 17, 1861.
197 County Rd.,”Applegate” (1875) - “Applegate,” was owned by Ruth Appleton Tuckerman and her husband, Charles. Four houses were built along the north side of Waldingfield Road by grandchildren of Gen. James Appleton.
320 Linebrook Rd., the Daniel Conant house (1875) - This building was one of a cluster of farmers' or shoemakers' cottages constructed on this stretch of Linebrook Rd. in the second half of the 19th century, and may be the surviving ell of an earlier building. The Conant family was prominent on this stretch of Linebrook Road in the 19th Century.
56 Washington Street, the Ephraim Goodhue House (1875) - The earliest owner of the house was Ephraim Goodhue, listed in town directories as a blacksmith and grocer with a shop on Pleasant Street. By 1902 the house had been converted to two-family use.
31 County Street, Ascension Memorial Episcopal Church (1875) - The Ascension Memorial Episcopal Church on County Street was designed by famed architect James Renwick Jr. (1818-1895) and is considered “American Gothic Revival” in style. Construction was begun in 1869 and completed in 1875.
57 South Main Street, Ipswich Mills boarding house (1876) - The building at 57 South Main Street was erected by the Ipswich Mills Corporation for use as a boarding house. In the early 20th Century, Madeline Linehan operated the Ipswich Mills Tea House in the building.
80 Central Street, the Malachi Nolan house (1877) - Dr. Asabel Wildes sold three small lots to Malachi Nolan who appears to have build this house in 1877. His daughter Mary Marshall sold the combined lots with the building to Charles A Sayward in 1911.
16 Topsfield Road, the Joseph Peatfield house and nursery (1877) - In 1846 Joseph Peatfield bought about seven acres bounded by Topsfield Road and the Ipswich River and planted a nursery in a part of this purchase.
18 Hammatt Street, the Ipswich gas generator building (1877-2018) - The Ipswich Gas and Light Company was formed in 1877 and manufactured gas from coal. Pipes were installed throughout town and gas street lights erected. This building was Brown's coal gas plant, and was demolished in March 2018.
6 Highland Ave., the George Spencer Sr. house (c 1880) - The house at 6 Highland Ave. was first owned by George Spencer. Maps and deeds indicated a construction date of approximately 1880.
28 Mineral Street (c 1880) - The house at 28 Mineral St. is shown in the 1884 Ipswich map and the 1893 Ipswich Birdseye Map. The owner's name is shown as "Miss Moore.
53 Washington Street, the George W. Smith – Pickard House, (1880) - The earliest owner to be identified is George W. Smith who owned the house by 1884, and is listed in town directories as a flagman for the railroad. By 1910 the property was owned by Henry A. Pickard .
9 Liberty St. (c. 1880) - This house first appears in the 1884 Ipswich map, with the owner shown as "Mrs. Foster." It is also shown in the 1893 Ipswich Birdseye Map, but not in the 1872 map. The owner in the 1910 Ipswich map is T. H. Lord.
3 Liberty St., the Foster house (c 1880) - This house is shown in the 1872 and 1884 Ipswich maps owned by "S. Foster."
98 Central Street, the William and Abigail Haskell house (b 1884) - This house first appears under the name William Haskell in the 1884 Ipswich map.The house is shown as “A. Damon” in the 1910 map. It is also shown in the 1893 Birdseye map of Ipswich.
10 Riverbank Lane, the John W. Newman house (c 1880) - The Ipswich Directory of 1896 shows John W. Newman as the owner of a Hardware store, and a painter. Hannah Ellen Lord, b. July 28, 1844, Ipswich, married John W. Newman on June 14, 1868. Sources: Recollections of a Childhood by Arthur Lord The Agawam manual and directory: […]
280 High Street, the Charles and Fostina Guilford house (1880) - Charles and Fostina Guilford were wed at Ipswich on July 28, 1878. Daniel S. Appleton built the house in 1879 and sold it to Charles, a farmer, the following year. The building remained in the Guilford family into the 20th Century.
107 Central Street, the Collins house (c 1880) - This rambling double house is trimmed with characteristic Queen Anne finery. The entrance porches are decorated with turned posts, balusters, and spindle screens. Elaborate rising sun motifs in both gables, eave brackets, and staggered butt shingles in the bays complete the design.
88 Central Street, the W. L. Johnson house (c 1880) - The W. L. Johnson house is the most ambitious Mansard on Central St., and preserves original decorative detailing. A matching carriage house also survives.
31 Washington St., the Laffy – Chapman – Morrill house (c 1880) - This house was built between 1872 and 1884. By 1884 it was owned by Michael Laffy; Laffy is listed in town directories as a laborer. By 1910 the house was owned by Walter Chapman, a farmer who lived on Pineswamp Road and presumably rented this house. In 1916 the house was occupied by Euclid A. and Charolette B. Morrill. In 1924 it was occupied by Insurance agent William F. Connor and his wife Mary.
12 Washington Street, the Patrick Riley house (1880) - This house was built between 1872 and 1884 for Patrick and Ellen Riley. Riley was a farmer and he and his wife owned this house and the one at #16. By 1924 this house was occupied by Maurice and Mary Blaquiere.
1 Manning Street, the E.H. Martin house (1880) - The E. H. Martin house originally faced Central Street. It was moved back one lot and turned to face Manning St.
387 Linebrook Road, David Tulley Perley farm (1880) - David Tullar Perley owned the largest farm in the western part of the town. This house was built in 1850, but was ’embellished’ in the 1880’s to its Victorian appearance.
21 North Main Street, the Theodore Cogswell house (1880) - Abram D. Wait, et.al., sold this lot to Theodore F. Cogswell (953:203). Cogswell removed the 17th century house, once the “Black Horse Saloon” and built this Second Empire house at 21 North Main Street in Ipswich in 1880, with a fine Mansard roof. Cogswell was a grocer as well as clerk and treasurer of the Ipswich Savings Bank. He also built the Victorian “painted lady” on North Main Street for his daughter and her husband after demolishing a first period home on that site.
38 Summer Street, the William M. and Jennie Ellsworth house (1881) - This house was built by William Merrill Ellsworth and his wife Jenny (Lord) Ellsworth. Two similar houses side by side are on the same lot in the 1910 map, owned by Mrs. Jennie Ellsworth.
79 Central Street, the Foster Russell Jr. house (1883) - John Cogswell sold this lot without a house for $300 to Augustus Russell and Foster Russell Jr. in 1883 (book 1110, page 078). This house appears in the 1893 Ipswich Birdseye map; the 1884 and 1910 Ipswich maps show the owner of the house as Foster Russell Jr. […]
31 Washington Street, the George Brown house (1883) - John A. Brown sold this lot to George B. Brown in 1883 and he built a house shortly thereafter. Brown’s house is one of the few Stick Style Victorian homes in Ipswich. Brown built a grist mill, also located on Washington St., in 1881. He started with a single team and by 1888 employed 6 men. Brown was the first in the area to install a roller mill, which removed all foreign iron substances from the grain before it entered the mill
18 Liberty St. (1885) - The houses at #16 and # 18 Liberty Street were built between 1884 and 1887 by John A. Brown, a brick manufacturer and lumber dealer, probably in association with C.E. Brown & Son.
110 Central Street, the Samuel Baker house (before 1884) - Three identical houses with mansard roofs appear in the 1893 Ipswich Birdseye map and are still standing. The 1884 Ipswich map shows this house owned by “S. H. Baker” and the one next door owned by “G. H. Baker.” Samuel Baker and other parties conveyed “a certain parcel […]
33 Mineral Street, the Caroline Norman house, 1884 (moved from Central St.) - The house at 33 Mineral Street was moved from the location of Cumberland Farms on Central street in Ipswich.
37 Washington Street, the Brown-Grossman-Doucette house (1884) - This house was built by 1884 by George V. Brown, one of several houses he built on a large parcel. Brown operated a large hay & grain business nearby at Brown Square and lived on Liberty Street. In 1916 this house was occupied by Charles (& Mary) Grossman and Denis (& Maggie) Doucette.
82 Central St., the Isaac J. Potter house (b 1884) - This house was the home of Isaac J. Potter, editor of the Ipswich Chronicle, who became the paper's sole proprietor.
11 Warren Street, the Old Warren Fire House and School (1884) - In 1884, the Town built a firehouse on Warren St., and purchased the Warren engine. In 1910 The Warren Street firehouse was converted to a school to house two 7th grade classrooms. The building is now a private residence.
3 Short Street, the Short Street Store (1884) - The only building on Short Street is said to have orginally been Asa Lord's barn. In the first half of the 20th Century it was the home of Marcorelle Brothers.
6 High Street, the Joseph Ross house (1884) - This Victorian home was built by Joseph Ross, who designed the country's first movable span bridge, which he patented in 1849 at the age of 26. His horizontally folding drawbridge became the most common railroad bridge type in the Boston area.
12 Manning Street, the Edward T. Pike house (1885) - The mortgage for this house was taken out in 1885. Almost all of the houses on Manning Street appear in the 1893 Ipswich map.
16 Liberty St., the Martha Curtis house (1885) - The 1910 Ipswich map shows the owners as John Brown.
97 Central Street, the Olive and Charles McIntire house (1885) - This house was constructed with stick-style Victorian decorative features.
44 Central St., the Ellen V. Lang house (c 1885) - The 1884 Ipswich map shows a house set back from Central St., belonging to “Mrs. Wildes.” In 1888, The Agawam Manual and Directory by M.V. B. Perley, shows the following residences: Lang E. V. Mrs, Central corner of Hammatt Lang George T, clerk (Boston) h Central corner of […]
10 Argilla Rd., Harry Joyce house (c 1885) - The house at 10 Argilla Rd. is not shown in the 1884 Ipswich map, but was sold by Harry Joyce on Oct. 8, 1890 to Gustavus Kinsman. Sources Salem Deeds, book 1291, page 230: Harry Joyce to Gustavus Kinsman on Oct. 8, 1890 1884 Ipswich map 1893 Ipswich […]
Hoyt House, Waldingfield Rd. (c 1885) - This boxy, white, house on Waldinfield Rd. adjoining Appleton Farms is all that remains of the “Hoyt House,” the summer residence of May Appleton Hoyt and her family. Mary “May” Eliza Appleton Hoyt (1860-1927) was the youngest daughter of Daniel Fuller Appleton of New York and Julia Randall […]
17 Mineral Street, c 1885; Baxter-Adamowicz house - This house is part of what was a double lot, constructed in the early 1880's by J. J Philbrook, who sold it soon thereafter to Edward H. Baxter. The Adamowitz family have owned it since 1926.
1 Old England Road, Moritz B. Philipp and Jane Peterson estate (1885) - "The sightly residence of Moritz B. Philipp crowns the rugged eminence known in Mr. Hubbard's day and from the earliest times as Rocky Hill. The earliest name associated with the Hill is that of Humphrey Griffin."
19 High Street, the John Blake house (1885) - This house is not show in the 1884 map of Ipswich, but is shown on the 1887 Ipswich Birdseye map. In the 1910 map, the owner is John A. Blake, who also owned the Thomas Lord house next door at 17 High St.
24 Summer Street, the William E. Barton house (1884) - This house first appears in the 1884 Ipswich village map under the ownership of J. E. Barton. In the 1910 map it belongs to William J. Barton.
117 High Street, Brown’s Manor (1886) - Abraham Lord sold 30 acres to George A. Brown on Nov. 6, 1886. The Browns built this imposing brick Mansard with white alternating quoins, a fine entrance porch, and a round-headed, double-leaf door.
13 Spring Street, the George V. Millett house (1886) - Built about 1886, The George V. Millett house is an outstanding example of Victorian-era "shingle style" architecture. Millett was a partner in the company "Millett, Woodbury & Co., Shoes."
44 North Main Street, the Harry K. Dodge house (1886) - Harry K. Dodge bought the homestead of the widow Margaret S. Kendall in 1886. He tore down the old house and erected this Victorian home.
8 High Street, Frederick and Sally Ross house (1887) - Fred G. Ross was a director of the Joseph Ross Corporation, founded by his father who lived next door. The company contracted large construction projects in the Boston area.
59 Washington Street, the Charles W. Bamford house (C 1887) - This house was built between 1884 and 1888 for Charles W. Bamford, who was at various times in his career the Town Clerk, Treasurer, and Justice of the Peace. The elaborative cornices and multiple colors of paint are a mix of Italianate and Queen Anne Victorian.
48 Market Street, the Bailey house (c 1887) - Dr. George Bailey served as medical examiner for Ipswich and Essex County. His shingle style Victorian home was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
320 High Street, the Jonathan Crowell Fox heel factory (1888) - This is apparently the largest building constructed for the purpose of making shoe parts in Ipswich Village, although there were many smaller shops in the area in the 19th century. By 1910, the factory had gone out of business.
94 County Road, Jesse and John Wade’s shop (1888) - Jesse and John Wade were in a long line of builders from the Wade family, who constructed several houses on the east side of County Rd. This 1888 house is said to have been their shop.
47 North Main Street, the George Farley House (1888) - In 1888 Theodore Cogswell bought the ancient Dodge house built in 1660 and tore it down to build this Victorian “Painted Lady” for his daughter Emiline and her husband George Farley, owner of the Farley and Daniels shoe company. Their son Theodore was a hero of WW I.
7 East Street, the Sadie Stockwell house (1888) - The heirs of Samuel Hunt sold the building lot to Sadie B. Stockwell and her husband Frank Stockwell, dentist on April 27, 1888 and she built the house on the lot in the same year. The Queen Anne shingle-style home of the Victorian era is not common in Ipswich.
35 Washington Street, the Charles and Margaret Bell house (c 1890) - These identical houses on Cottage St. were built for Charles E. and John A. Brown, who were also involved in speculative development on Brown and Liberty Streets.
10 Manning Street, the G. Haskell house (circa 1890) - 10 Manning Street, the G. Haskell house (circa 1890) Like most of the houses on Manning Street, this house first appears in the 1893 Birdseye map of Ipswich. In the 1910 Ipswich map the owner is G. Haskell.
9 Manning St., the Albert P. Hills house (c. 1890) - Like many of the houses on Manning Street, it first appears in the 1893 Ipswich Birdseye map. Hills owned a grocery on North Main Street. E. W.Russell was the owner in the 1910 Ipswich map.
8 Manning Street, the Jordan house, (c. 1890) - This house first appears in the 1893 Ipswich Birdseye map.
7 Manning St., the E W. Russell house (c 1890) - The house at 7 Manning St. appears first in the 1893 Ipswich Birdseye map. 1910 Ipswich map shows the owner as E W. Russell, who worked as a dyer at the Ipswich Mills.
12 Liberty St. (c 1890) - The earliest Identified owner is Charles E. Brown, proprietor who owned the house by 1910. Brown and his son, Walter 6. Brown, operated a brick manufactory and contracting company.
6 Liberty St. (c. 1890) - A house at 6 Liberty St. is shown in the 1893 Birdseye map and the 1910 Ipswich map, the owner is shown as "C. Caldwell." The modestly Italianate "Gable and Ell" form confirm the architectural period.
87 Central Street (c 1890) - The 1910 Ipswich map shows the owner of the house at 87 Central Street as"Misses Peatsfield." The house is almost identical in construction to the house at 89 Central Street, which is shown in the 1884 Ipswich map.
16 Brown St., the Leno house (1890) - Several homes on this street were built by the short-lived Essex Hosiery Company to house their employees. The house is typical of the vernacular Victorian "gable with ell" homes built at the end of the 19th Century on Brown, Cottage and Mineral Streets.
14 Brown St., Mitchell-Ralph house (c 1890) - Several homes on this street were built by the short-lived Essex Hosiery Company to house their employees. The house is typical of the vernacular Victorian "gable with ell" homes built at the end of the 19th Century on Brown, Cottage and Mineral Streets.
12 Brown St. (c 1890) - Several homes on this street were built by the short-lived Essex Hosiery Company to house their employees. The house is typical of the vernacular Victorian "gable with ell" homes built at the end of the 19th Century on Brown, Cottage and Mineral Streets.
11 Poplar Street, the George H. Green house, (c. 1890) - The house at 11 Poplar St. was constructed for George H. Green between 1884 and 1893, when it first appears in the Ipswich Birdseye map. The owner of the house in the 1910 Ipswich map is G. Green.
4 Mount Pleasant Ave., the William Hayes building, c 1890 - The house at 4 Mount Pleasant Ave. was originally the William Mayes apartments and boarding house at the corner of Central and Manning Streets.
Manning Street, a Victorian neighborhood - Central Street was laid out in 1872, and Manning Street in 1882. Manning Street first appears in the 1884 Ipswich map, newly created, with no houses yet. The 1910 Ipswich map shows all of the houses now on the street, and Warren Street has been extended from North Main to Manning Street.
2 Mill Road, the Sullivan house (c 1890) - William Warner Jr. sold a four acre lot at what was then known as Bush Hill Corner to Samuel Spiller, who built a small house. In 1870, Spiller’s house and land were bought by Eugene Sullivan, who within 10 years had purchased over 70 acres of farm land extending from Topsfield Rd. to the Ipswich River.
8 Brown Street, Timothy Carey house (1890) - The house is typical of the Liberty/Brown/Mineral/Washington Street “folk victorian” homes built at the end of the 19th Century, often from plans available through architectural magazines. The style in Ipswich was generally L-shaped with a porch and brackets under the gable, and mass-produced prefabricated trim.
5 Maple Avenue, the G. Baxter – Frank Campbell house (1890) - This small house features chamfered posts, brackets, and spindle friezes. The houses at 3 and 5 Newmarch Street in Ipswich are identical to 5 Maple Ave., all constructed between 1870 and 1890.
6-8 Maple Ave., the George Tozer house (circa 1890) - Maple Street first appears in the 1884 Ipswich map, without houses. George Tozer constructed this large house when the Washington Street neighborhood section behind it was still farmland.
16 Maple Avenue, the William H. Bodwell house, 1890 - In 1891 this house appears on maps under the ownership of William H. Bodwell, a carpenter.
1 Highland Avenue, the Wainwright School (1890) - The Wainwright School was constructed in 1890 at a cost of $7,700, and is identical to a schoolhouse that was once on Upper High Street, then was moved next to the Payne Schol at Lord Square and now sits at the entrance to Highland Cemetery. In 1926 when the Shatswell School was constructed on Green Street, several small schools were closed.
65 Waldingfield Road, Sunswick (1890) - In 1882, Bayard Tuckerman married Annie Osgood Smith, daughter of Rev. Cotton Smith and Hariette Appleton, daughter of General James Appleton. A lot on Waldingfield Rd. near Highland Street that had once belonging to Daniel Fuller Appleton was purchased in 1890 by Tuckerman. He built his summer house on a slight rise and named it ““Sunswick."
6 Manning Street, the H. K. Damon house (1890) - This 1890 Victorian house features a third floor porch, slate shingles, 10-foot ceilings, two stain glass windows, oak floors, original moldings and pocket doors.
12 High Street, the William Russell House (1890) - This is a Queen Anne period house built in 1890, relatively unusual in Ipswich. The sitting room contains a fireplace decorated with sea serpents. According to local tradition, this house had the first inside bathroom in Ipswich.
15 Argilla Road, the George Dexter house (1893) - George Dexter was a prominent Ipswich photographer in the 19th Century through 1920. This classic Queen Anne house includes an outbuilding which was used by Dexter as a photography studio.
111 Central Street, the Albert and Annie Garland house (1894) - The house at 111 Central St. first appears in the 1910 Ipswich map, with the owner shown as A. S. Garland. Albert J. Garland, Edward Lord and Edward Baxter received a mortgage for the lot “with a new building thereon” in 1894 (Book 1432, page 305). Henry Garland was […]
240 County Road, the Proctor Estate, New England Biolabs (1895) - The former James H. Proctor estate was built in 1895. The Catholic Church purchased the property, where it was used as a novitiate by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, and later became the Catholic school Don Bosco. Since 1999 the Proctor estate has been the home of New England Biolabs, which provides walking trails open to the public.
17 Turkey Shore Road, the John Edward Norman house (1895) - John E. Norman was in command of the ship "Rival" which was lot at sea with all hands in about 1870. The Captain was only twenty-eight years old, leaving a widow and a young family. This house is presumed to have been built by his son, John E. Norman, 2nd. John Edward Norman 3rd was born in 1897, served in the World War, and sold the house in 1935 to John H. Hill.
7 Maple Avenue, the Fred A. Nason house (1896) - This house was built between 1897 and 1900 for Fred A. Nason. From 1897 into the 1910s, Nason is listed in town directories as a traveling salesman. Prior to 1897 he was a shoe salesman in a local store. IPS.323, Nason, Fred A. House, 7 Maple Ave, 1896.
90 Central Street, the Brown-Riley house (1897) - Deeds: Salem Deeds book 1517, page 254: Abbie Lord to Maria Brown, June 3, 1897. Sale of a parcel of land for $700. Salem Deeds book 1841, page 185: James Brown to Adelle Riley, 1906. Sale of parcel of land with house thereon. Salem Deeds book 2932 page […]
44 Mill Road, Holiday Hill, The William and Violet Thayer house (1897) - William Thayer was headmaster of St. Mark’s School in Southborough MA, and this was their summer home. Information and photos are provided by David Thayer.
42 Labor in Vain Road, the Arthur L. Sweetser house (c. 1898) - Arthur L. Sweetser, a Boston banker and his wife Laura Attwill built "Greystone" as their summer home. The architecture was influenced by Henry Hobson Richardson (1838-1886).
14 Liberty Street, the George B. Brown house (1898) - The elegant Victorian house at 14 Liberty Street in Ipswich was built between 1896-98 by George B. Brown, who owned a grain mill on Washington Street.