The Preston-Foster house on Water St. in Ipswich
The following is a list of First Period (1625-1725), Second Period (1725-1776) and Federal-era houses in Ipswich, Massachusetts. Links are provided to photos and the history of the house.
The First Period of colonial American architecture was approximately 1626 through 1725. There are more remaining first Period houses in Essex County, MA than anywhere else in the country, and Ipswich has 59 (depending on who’s counting), more surviving First Period homes than any other town.
First Period houses have steeply pitched roofs, are asymmetrical due to having been built in phases, and feature large central chimneys. Exposed chamfered summer beams are almost always found, especially in the front rooms. First Period builders were often trained in English Medieval and post-Medieval techniques. The fronts of these houses ideally faced south to maximize heat from the sun’s rays, which explains why so many First Period homes line the north side of High Street in Ipswich.
View a chronologial list of First Period houses in Ipswich.
Ipswich First Period Houses
341 Linebrook Road, the Lot Conant house (1717) - Architectural evidence, family history and deed research indicate that the oldest (center) part of this house was the home of Lot and Elizabeth Conant, the first of that family in Linebrook, constructed in 1717. This would make it an addition to the approximately 60 First Period houses in Ipswich. In July 1717, Lot Conant sold his property in Beverly and moved to this location. This house is one of a cluster of homes built by the extensive Conant family in the Linebrook community. 421 Linebrook Road, the Abraham Howe barn (1725) - This early 18th century barn served several generations of the Howe family, and was converted to residential use in 1948. Elizabeth Howe, convicted as a witch and put to death in 1692, lived nearby 16 Fellows Road, the Ruth Fellows house (1714) - Joseph Fellows acquired the farm by inheritance and purchase. He served in the King Philip war and married Ruth Fraile on April 19 1675. He died before 1693, and Mrs. Ruth Fellows died on April 14 1729. 8 North Main St, the Ebenezer Stanwood House (1747) - This house is named for early owner Ebenezer Stanwood, a peruke-maker. The framing and decoration indicate a First Period structure constructed between 1709 and 1747 when Stanwood acquired a portion of a house from Ebenezer Smith. 22 Mineral Street, the Ephraim Harris House (1696, alt. 1835) - The earliest sections of this house were built by Daniel Warner in 1696 on Market Street. In 1835, Ephraim Harris, builder, was commissioned by Capt. Robert Kimball to build a new house on the lot. Harris removed a portion of the Warner house to his own land at the corner of Central and Mineral Streets, and enlarged it. 82 High Street, the John Brewer house (1680) - John Brewer came to Ipswich with his father Thomas Brewer who is shown living in Ipswich in 1639. Town records show that in 1662 the town constables were ordered to pay John Brewer 20 schillings, charges he was due “about constructing the fort”. John Brewer Sr. died on June 23, 1684. 88-90 High Street, the Shatswell-Tuttle house (right side by 1690 / left,1806) - The oldest section of the Tuttle – Lord – Shatswell house was built before 1690 for Deacon John Shatswell, who joined the Ipswich settlement in 1633 with his wife and four children. It remained in the family and was the home of Col. Nathaniel Shatswell, famous for his command of Union troops during the Battle of Harris Farm during the Civil War. 95 High Street, the Simon and Hannah Adams house (c. 1700) - Simon Adams, a weaver and veteran of King Philip's War, owned this property in 1707, according to a deed of the adjoining property. (20:15). This "half-house" was originally extended as a leanto over the rear rooms. In 1906 the front door and old sash were changed and around 1919 the east ell was added. 32 Water Street, the Jabesh Sweet house (1713) - Jabesh Sweet built this house on a quarter acre lot by the river at 32 Water Street in 1713. People said that the ghost of Harry Maine the Mooncusser haunted the house that once sat where the garage for this house now stands. He was found guilty and staked to the Ipswich Bar for eternity. 27 Summer Street, the Thomas Knowlton house (1688) - Humphrey Bradstreet. sold his house and land to Deacon Thomas Knowlton in 1646. In 1688 Knowlton passed his house and land to his grand nephew Nathaniel Knowlton with a new house erected on the property, and it is this house that survives today. 46 Summer Street, the James Foster house (1720) - James Foster bought this former orchard land in 1720 from Nathaniel Clark who moved to Newbury. The northwest side is the original half-house, which was doubled in size and remodeled to appear Georgian, with the two chimneys, dormers and a symmetrical front. The house was owned by the Soward family in the 19th Century, and partially burned. 1 South Green, the Captain John Whipple House (1677) - The oldest part of the house dates to 1677 when Captain John Whipple constructed a townhouse near the center of Ipswich. The Historical Commission moved it over the Choate bridge to its current location and restored to its original appearance.
27 High Street, the Edward Brown House (1650) - Edward Brown was the original owner of this site in 1639, and the east side of the present house is believed to have been constructed under his ownership around 1650 as a one-room over-one-room floor plan. In the mid-18th century the west side of the house was built. Architectural features of this house are protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission.
76 East Street, the Hodgkins – Lakeman House (c1690) - William Hodgkins built this house before 1700. In 1718 he sold the dwelling to Archelaus Lakeman and the property remained in the Lakeman family for almost 200 years. The Lakemans were a sea-faring family with extensive wharves and warehouses on the property and on the Town Wharf across the street. 24 Topsfield Road, the Moses Kimball house (1688) - The land on which the Moses Kimball house was built, is part of a larger grant to early settler Samuel Appleton. His son John Appleton sold a five and 3/4 acre lot on the south side of Topsfield Road to Moses Kimball, a taylor, who built some portion of this house in 1688. 30 East Street, the Jordan – Snelling – Potter house (c 1708) - John Potter purchased the lot in 1708 with all the buildings, including the “old house, new out-houses, etc.” Structural evidence reveals that the house was built in two stages, and that the west side is the earliest portion. The house was owned in the 1950’s by Hollie Bucklin who renovated the building so that it appears to be a medieval revival cross-gabled house. 11 Summer Street, the Nathaniel Hovey house (1718) - Nathaniel Hovey Sr. lived only to the age of 28, about the time of the birth of his son Nathaniel Jr. in 1696. This house was probably built by the younger Hovey. The asymmetrical layout of the front of this house is because Hovey built a half house and expanded it later. A modified Beverly jog is on the left. 5-7 Poplar Street, the Dr. John Calef house (1671) - This house was built on South Main St. between 1671 and 1688 by Deacon Thomas Knowlton. In the mid-18th Century the house was owned by Dr. John Calef, a Loyalist. John Heard moved the house to its present location in order to build his elaborate Federalist home which now houses the Ipswich Museum. 36 Water Street, the York – Averill House (1715) - Captain Samuel York built this house in 1715 after selling two smaller lots on East Street. The earliest portions of this house date from the early years of his ownership, Benjamin Averill, a Revolutionary War veteran, bought the house in 1793 and it remained in the Averill family until the late 19th century. 49 Candlewood Road, the Robert Kinsman house (b 1714) - Robert Kinsman constructed this First Period house before 1714, and the home has been greatly expanded over the years. Stephen Kinsman inherited the house in 1726, and with his wife Elizabeth Russell brought up a family of twelve children. They dwelt in the old Robert Kinsman homestead until 1767 when he sold his farm, 47 acres and buildings to Samuel Patch. 12 Water Street, the Glazier – Sweet house (1728) - This house was built in 1728 by Benjamin Glazier, a sea captain, and transitions the First and Second Periods of Colonial construction. The original half house and early Beverly Jog addition remain intact, with later additions. 43 Summer Street, the Wilcomb-Pinder house (1718) - This timber-framed First Period house was built in 1718 by William Wilcomb. The interior of the home features hand-hewn summer beams, wide plank flooring and the original fireplaces. The next owner, William Benjamin Pinder was a corporal with Col. Appleton’s company during the French and Indian War. 3 Hovey Street, the John Kendrick house (1665) - John Kenrick, a cooper by trade, owned this lot in 1665,. He and his son sold it to to Thomas Staniford in 1706. Structural evidence supports a construction date of about 1670. Much of the trim dates from the late 18th or early 19th centuries. 67 Turkey Shore Road, the Stephen Boardman house (1720) - This house is named for Stephen Boardman, the son of Thomas Boardman and Sarah Langley. He and his wife Elizabeth Cogswell moved to Stratham, NH where he made a name for himself as a vocal supporter of the American revolution.The wide pine board floors in the house are original, and 4 restored fireplaces share a central chimney. 43 Argilla Road, the Giddings – Burnham house (b 1667) - The earliest section of the Giddings-Burnham House at 43 Argilla Road in Ipswich was built in the mid-17th Century by carpenter George Giddings who immigrated from Norfolk, England. The earliest documentation for this property was the deed of sale between George Giddings and his brother-in-law Thomas Burnham in 1667. 69 S. Main Street, the Samuel Dutch house (b 1733) - Samuel Dutch bought this land in 1723 and built this house by 1733. The front appears to have been enlarged with a third floor and a hip roof during in the early 19th Century. The rear wing has a chamfered summer beam, suggesting that it was an older house. 106 High St. the Caleb Kimball house (1715) - Caleb Kimball (1) was born in 1639 in Ipswich, the son of Richard Kimball and Ursula Scott. The owner has maintained the left inside as a First Period home, with exposed beams and a large fireplace. The right inside was updated with Georgian features, plaster ceilings and a Rumford fireplace.
51 Linebrook Road, the Hart House (1678) - The oldest parts of the Hart House were apparently constructed in 1678-80 by Samuel Hart, the son of Thomas Hart, an Irish tanner who arrived in Ipswich in 1637. The two oldest rooms are exact duplicates of the originals, which were moved to museums in the early 20th Century. 52-54 High Street, the Henry Kingsbury – Robert Lord house (1660) - Henry Kingsbury, the earliest known owner of this lot, is first mentioned in Ipswich Records of 1638. The oldest elements of the present house date to 1660, the year Henry Kingsbury sold a house and lot to Robert Lord. Key features of this house include a hidden room and 10 fireplaces. 45 High Street, the John Lummus house (1712) - Jonathan Lummus, who served in King Philip’s War in 1675 was appointed a tithing man by the town in 1700. Lummus bought Captain Symon Stacy’s land and dwelling on High Street in 1712. This parcel had originally been granted to Thomas Dudley, Governor of Massachusetts. The house underwent a careful restoration by Phillip Ross in 1964. 17 High Street, the Thomas Lord house (1658) - In 1634 this lot was granted to Robert Lord, one of the settlers of Ipswich, and was deeded to Thomas Lord, a cordwainer who built the early section of this house in 1658. The oak frame encloses a two-room over-two-room house. The saltbox leanto is not integral, indicating that it was added later. 9 County Street, the Benjamin Dutch house (1705) - This was built early in the 1700’s, and was owned by one of several men named Benjamin Dutch who owned and sold properties throughout town. The asymmetrical facade and timber frame are typical of First Period construction. 6 South Main Street, the Shoreborne Wilson – Samuel Appleton house (1685) - This house was built by joiner Sherborne Wilson,. The house was purchased in 1702 by Col. Samuel Appleton, the eldest son of Major Samuel Appleton. At the time it was still a two-room central chimney structure, and it is believed that Appleton expanded the building on the southeast side. The house is listed in the National Historic Register of Historic Places. 13 High Street, the Joseph Willcomb house (1669) - The earliest section of this house was built by John Edwards, a tailor, who acquired the property in 1668. He was one of several Tithingmen appointed by the Selectmen “to inspect disorderly persons. Joseph Willcomb bought the house prior to 1762. 8 East Street, the Captain Matthew Perkins house (1701) - Winner of the 1991 Mary Conley Award. this well-preserved 1st Period house sits on a former orchard lot that was sold in 1701 by Major Francis Wainwright to Matthew Perkins, a weaver and soldier. In 1719 Perkins opened an inn and tavern in this house, "at the sign of the blue anchor." 12 Green Street, the Andrew Burley house (1688) - Andrew Burley bought this lot in 1683 and built a house shortly thereafter. He became a wealthy merchant and updated the house with fine Georgian features. Burley was a justice of the Sessions Court and was elected representative to the General Court in 1741. Capt. John Smith purchased the house in 1760 from the estate of Andrew Burley’s widow Hannah and operated it as Smith's Tavern. 7 County Street, the Thomas Dennis House (1663) - Shoreborne Wilson, a cooper, built a house and shop on this site about 1660. Thomas Dennis, the well-known master joiner, bought the property in 1663. The rear ell of the present house dates from that period, The 5-bay front section of the house dates to the 1750's. 26 High Street, the Philip Call house (1659) - This 2-story timber-frame First Period house was built by cordwainer Philip Call about 1659, enlarged around 1725. In 1967, the owners uncovered a chamfered 17th century summer beam and field paneling behind Victorian-era walls. The house has a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission. 104 High Street, the John Kimball house (1715) - This is is one of three John Kimball houses along High Street, two said to have been built by the father, the third by the son. The 1st period house has a chamfered summer beam and wide plank tongue and groove sheathing. This house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission. 2 North Main Street, the John Appleton house (1707) - This was the first house in Ipswich to have a third story, which was removed by Daniel Noyes around 1768 after he bought the house. In 1962 the Appleton House was purchased by Exxon, which intended to build a gas station on the site. The Ipswich Heritage Trust was formed to save the house, the first major preservation action in Ipswich. 83 County Road, the Rogers-Brown-Rust House (1665-1723) - The house at 83 County Road is believed to be three houses joined together, at least one from the First Period. In 1836 the house and lot were conveyed to the South Parish as a church site. Asa Brown bought the house and removed it to its present location. 39 Summer Street, the Foster – Grant house (1717) - In 1717 Nathaniel Knowlton sold a small lot to James Foster who is believed to have built the house. In 1826, the family sold to Ephriam Grant, and the house was long known as the "Grant house." Early Colonial features are preserved throughout the house. 80 East Street, the Perkins – Hodgkins House (c 1700) - The Perkins-Hodgkins house is believed to have been built in 1700 on the foundation of the earlier Jacob Perkins home. The house has been greatly expanded over the years, but the original asymmetrical structure continues to anchor the corner with Jeffreys Neck Road. 39 – 41 High Street, the Daniel Lummus house (1686) - This house has elements dating to 1686 but was significantly rebuilt in 1746. Jonathan Lummus bequeathed to his son Daniel "a small piece of land out of my homestead adjoining to his homestead to make a convenient way to his barn." in 1728. 77 High Street, the John Kimball house (1680) - Richard Kimball owned this lot in 1637. The property passed to John Kimball, and the present house dates from the time of his ownership. It belonged to the Lord family through the 19th century.
103 High Street, the William Merchant house (1670) - The building dates to approximately 1670, but the right half may contain timbers from a previous structure on this site which was built in 1639. That simple story and a half cottage is believed to have been built by William Merchant who arrived in Ipswich with John Winthrop and the first settlers. The section on the left was added in 1672. 6 Water Street, the Reginald Foster house (1690) - Ipswich deeds list the transfer of a house at this location from Roger Preston to Reginald Foster in 1657, but construction of this house dates to about 1690. Massive chamfered summer beams in the right section, the sharp-pitched roof and purlins provide evidence of the early date. 47 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Paine house (1694) - This picturesque house remains on its original saltwater farm location. Three generations of the Paine family made their home here, From 1916, Greenwood Farm was a summer retreat for the Robert G. Dodge family, who used the Paine House as a guesthouse.
168 Argilla Road, the Tilton-Smith house (c 1720) - Built circa 1720 by Abraham Tilton Jr., a 1998 fire took away much of its original frame, but the owner totally rebuilt the home with with materials salvaged from 18th and 19th century structures throughout New England. 57 North Main Street, the Day-Dodge House (1696-1737) - This unusual double house has two entrances and asymmetrical bays. The corner at North Main and East Street is the oldest section and appears to have elements of a barn constructed by Francis Wainwright at this location in 1696. This house is protected by a preservation agreement. 8 Water Street, the Harris-Sutton House (1677) - Abner Harris bought this lot and enlarged the house in 1743. When the house was dismantled and reconstructed in the early 21st Century, evidence was discovered indicating that the eastern part of the house may date to 1677.
Ipswich Second Period Houses
The Second Period refers to Colonial Georgian architecture, from approximately 1725 until the American Revolution, which ushered in the Federal era. While often similar to fine First Period homes, 2nd houses feature a planned balanced facade, pilasters, other ornamental details and chimneys on either end of the house. Most earlier homes were updated to appear Georgian as they were enlarged or remodeled, but the lack of symmetry and the large central chimneys remain.
12 North Main Street, Treadwell’s Inn (1737) - In 1737, Captain Nathaniel Treadwell opened an inn in this building. John Adams visited Ipswich frequently during the 1770's in his capacity as a lawyer and always stayed at Captain Nathaniel Treadwell's inn. It was erroneously named the Christian Wainwright house, which no longer stands. 48 North Main Street, the Thomas Morley house (c 1750, alt. 1845) - This house and its northern neighbor, 50 North Main, were a single structure before 1845, when Thomas Morley bought the southern portion of that house, separated and rotated it 90° to present a gable end to the street, and finished it for his dwelling. Thomas Morley was an artist and taught painting in his school on Summer St., which stood behind the present 47 North Main. 315 Linebrook Road, the William Conant house (1777) - William Conant (1747-1826) amassed considerable real estate in Ipswich. His son William, known locally as “Young Squire Bill" was a selectman, assessor, and overseer for the Town of Ipswich for many years. 27 East Street, the Widow Elizabeth Caldwell house (1740-1755) - Joseph Wait sold this lot to Elizabeth Caldwell, widow of Thomas, in 1829. She moved a house from another site onto her property. The rear two story wing is believed to be the older house, joined together when the house was moved. Structural evidence suggest a construction dates of about 1740 to 1775 for the two sections. 178 Argilla Road, the Stephen Smith house (1742) - Sagamore Hill, which is near Fox Creek and Argilla Roads, was originally apportioned in small tillage lots to a considerable number of owners. The house was built by Stephen Smith, who bought the land in 1742. 2 Old England Road, the Captain Treadwell house (1748) - The Captain Treadwell house features Georgian-era construction. Captain Treadwell's ships, "The Dolphin," and "Hannah" sailed from the town wharves, where they loaded to Trinidad, St. Lucie, Point Petre and other West India ports. 68 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Captain John Smith house (c 1740) - Richard Smith came from Shropham, Co Norfolk by 1641. His farm came into possession of Richard Smith. To his son, John, for £170, he conveyed an 18 acre pasture, bounded in part by the river, "with the new house and half the barn, standing at the south-east end of ye great field." 44 Fellows Road, the Joseph Fellows Jr. house (1734) - The corner of Upland Road was known in early days as Fellows Lane, and it was near this corner, perhaps on this lot, that William Fellows, who settled in Ipswich in 1635, is believed to be buried. This house was constructed in 1734 by Joseph Fellows Jr. 7 Summer Street, the Thomas Treadwell house (C 1740) - The original house consisted of a large room with a chimney and entry at the right. Raised field wainscotting in this room is the most exceptional early second period feature. The house was altered in the mid-18th century, and the kitchen and small rear room are finished with trim from this period. In the mid-19th century new stairs and a new chimney were built. The sloop, "Endeavorer," under Capt. Thomas Treadwell, was included in the fishing fleet of 1716. 130 Topsfield Road, the Robert Wallis house (1703) - The Robert Wallis house at 130 Topsfield Road dates to the first half of the 18th Century. Original parts of the house may date to 1703, but the chimneys at either end of the building are indicative of a major 1750 renovation. Ensign Nicholas Wallis was born in 1633 […] 50 Mill Road, the Caleb Warner house (1734) - Caleb Warner, clothier, bought Michael Farley’s interest in the dam and married the 16-year-old daughter of the miller, By 1755 he had a large farm and built this mansion. The rear section incorporates two earlier structures dating to before 1734, the year he came into possession of the land. 43 High Street, the Fitts- Manning-Tyler house (1767) - This house is believed to have been built in 1767 at today’s 42 North Main Street. Sophia Tyler bought a lot on High St. in 1873 and removed the Fitts house to the property. Located between the Daniel and Jonathan Lummus houses, the three properties are on land that was originally granted to Thomas Dudley, governor of Massachusetts for four years, and Ann Bradstreet, America’s first poet. 108 High St., the Dow-Harris house (1735) - This dwelling began as a half house, two rooms in depth, and was constructed about 1735 for Margaret Dow and her second husband John Lull. The entry room retains its original interior casings. Additions date to the 19th Century. 307 High Street, the Moses Jewett house (1759) - Moses Jewett married Elizabeth Bugg of Rowley. He was Captain of a Troop of Horse in Col. John Baker’s Regiment, which marched on the Lexington alarm, April 19, 1775 and also marched to Gloucester on November 29th of the same year. 27 Lakeman’s Lane, the Benjamin Fellows house (1719) - Ephraim Fellows was a private in Captain Thomas Burnham's Company which marched on the alarm of April 19, 1775, fighting in the Battle of Lexington. He inherited the homestead of his father Benjamin on Lakemans Lane. 5 Summer Street, the Widow Fuller house (1725) - In 1754, Elizabeth Fuller sold this house and land to Thomas Treadwell, who also owned the house at 7 Summer Street. Stylistic evidence points to a construction date of c. 1725. Originally the house was one room deep, with a cased frame. An ell was added at the turn of the 19th century. 20 Market Street, the Stacey-Ross house (1734) - In 1733 John Stacey "being incapable of labor " petitioned the town that he may build a house beside the rocky ledge on the lower North Green "for selling cakes and ale for his livelihood." The house was moved to this location 100 years after its construction. 49 North Main Street, the John Chapman house (1770) - This house was built in 1770 by John Chapman a "leather breeches maker." In 1822 Captain Ephraim Kendall sold the house to Ebenezer and Daniel Russell, and throughout the rest of the 19th Century the house stayed in the Russell family. 38 North Main Street, the Old Post Office (1763) - This structure was built in 1763 as part of the historic Dr. John Manning property. Probably originally a barn or warehouse, it became the post office in 1790. This building also served as the shop of Daniel Rogers, a master gold and silversmith who later moved to Newport RI. 50 North Main Street, the James Brown house (1700 / 1721) - The James Brown house is part of a larger 1700 house that was divided into three houses in the late 18th Century. The chamfered oak frame in the southern portion indicates late First period, while the northern section appears to date from the 1720's. The Morley house next door was separated and turned sideways. 30 High Street, the Joseph Bolles house (1722) - Joseph Bolles, a carpenter bought this lot from Joseph Fowler with an acre of land and a house on it in 1722, which is the assumed date of this structure. This house began as a central chimney house, one room deep. Rooms were later added to the rear, and the roof rebuilt to cover the doubled house. The original oak frame is now thoroughly concealed, and second and third period trim dominate the house. 68 High Street, the Wood – Lord house (c 1740) - After her husband Daniel disappeared in 1727 at Penobscot Bay after being attacked by Indians, the court allowed Martha Ringe to marry John Wood before the customary three years had passed "in order to advance her circumstances." It was owned by Nathaniel Lord and his heirs in the 19th Century. 110 High Street, the John Kimball Jr. house (1730) - John Kimball Sr. acquired this land in 1708. Kimball's son, John Jr. built the house and a barn. The eastern half is older, and its timbers were originally exposed. The driveway is the original High Street before the bridge was constructed in 1906. 85 High Street, the Elizabeth and Phillip Lord house (1774) - This house was built about 1774 by Phillip Lord when he married the widowed Elizabeth Kimball Warner who owned the property. In 1832, the house was acquired by Benjamin Fewkes, who smuggled the first lace stocking machine into this country from England in 1818. He set up his hosiery shop In the rear of the house. 83 High Street, the Isaac Lord house, “Old Jail,” 1771-1808 - The house was in the Lord family for several generations. Deed records do not indicate the age of the house, which appears to be quite old, with a massive stone chimney base, low ceilings, boxed summer beams, wide board floors, and an asymmetrical construction. There is a tradition that the old 1771 Jail on Meeting House Green was moved in 1806 to this location. 73 High Street, the Nathaniel Lord house (C 1720) - This house is named after Nathaniel Lord who spent 36 years as the Register of Probate in the Ipswich Court. The western half of this house predates the eastern side and may have 17th Century elements. 59 East Street, the Daniel Ringe house (1719) - The small lot fronting on East Street was sold to Daniel Ringe, Oct. 16, 1719 . It was sold to John Holland, Nov. 6, 1742. Daniel Ringe was an early settler of Ipswich, and as a young man worked as a cow-herd. Captain Ringe was a soldier in the Indian wars and became a prominent citizen of Ipswich. 40 High Street, the William Caldwell House (1733) - William Caldwell built this house after purchasing the lot in 1733, The house remained in the Caldwell family into the 20th Century. Key features of the house include a large kitchen fireplace and exceptional period trim. 9 High Street, the Samuel Newman house (1762) - Joseph Newman built the house at 9 High Street in 1762. It was later owned by Samuel Newman. The present form of this house is composed of at least 3 structures, and the attic tells the story. It started out as a colonial home with a center chimney and center entrance. 38 East Street, the John Harris house (1742) - Thomas Harris purchased land along East Street in 1665. His son John was deputy sheriff and transported accused witches to Salem for trial. This sizable Georgian house was built by John Harris, 3rd or 4th generation. The property descended to Capt. Stephen Baker, whose heirs owned into the 20th Century. 11 County Street, the Bennett – Caldwell house (1725) - Joseph Bennett built this early Second Period house in 1725. In 1818 the house was sold to Capt. Sylvanus Caldwell, who engaged in maritime trade along the coast from Massachusetts to Maine for a half century. 86 County Road, the Burnham – Brown house (1775) - This house was built in 1775 on a lot on Candlewood Rd., probably by Thomas Burnham. In 1821 Nathan Brown bought the house from Oliver Appleton, and 3 years later he removed it to its present site on County Rd. Brown and others enlarged and remodeled the old Burnham House, but some 18th century features remain. 65 Candlewood Road, the Rhoda Kinsman house ( 1776 / 1818) - Jeremiah Kinsman died in 1818, and his will bequeathed the “Walker’s Island farm” to his sons Jeremiah and William in equal parts. William or his son William Jr. built this house next door, which was known as the “cottage." It came to be occupied by Rhoda Kinsman, daughter of William Jr. 107 Argilla Road, Argilla Farm (1785) - In 1637, John Winthrop Jr. conveyed his farm to Samuel Symonds, who became Deputy-Governor of the Colony. It came into possession of Thomas Baker, who married one of Symonds' daughters. Allen Baker built the hip-roofed farm house in 1785. It was purchased by Ephraim Brown and inherited by his son Thomas. 232 Argilla Road, the Patch-Brown-Crockett house (c 1760-85) - John Patch died in 1799 leaving the Sagamore Hill farm to his grandson Tristram Brown, who built the dwelling, which he operated as a boarding house on the way to the beach. Dr. Eugene A. Crockett bought the property along with its dairy and hay farm in November 1897. 57 High Street, the Stone – Rust – Abraham Lummus house (c 1750) - This cape saltbox was built by Robert Stone and has many original features, including vertical feather edge sheathing. William Rust bought the house in 1851 and his heirs occupied the estate into the 20th century. The separate workshop/barn on the northwest corner is believed to be a former
cobbler shop, once connected to the house. 21 High Street, the Haskell – Lord house (c 1750) - This fine house was built circa 1750 by Mark Haskell, an Ipswich cabinet-maker. Haskell served as a Light House Volunteer during the Revolutionary War. Daniel Lord married Eunice, the daughter of Mark Haskell, and Haskell conveyed to him the house and an acre of land in 1767, which is the first registered deed. 41 Candlewood Road, the Boardman house (c 1730) - Bryan Townsend completely restored this second-period 1750 home built by Captain John Boardman or his son Thomas. The barn that Townsend restored received the 2009 Mary Conley award for historic preservation of an Ipswich property. Appleton Farms - Owned by the Trustees of Reservations, Appleton Farms is America’s oldest working farm, with 12 miles of walking trails, a visitor center, and Community Supported Agriculture program. 41 Linebrook Road, Old Cross Farm (c 1717) - Originally a smaller house, constructed by John Denison the elder, it came into the possession of of Nathaniel Cross in 1761 and became a 25 -acre working farm. Several generations of the Cross family lived in this house, operating a weaver’s shop, fruit farm and poultry operation. 11 Woods Lane, the Merrifield house (1792) - The oldest part of the large house at 11 Woods Lane was built in 1792 by Francis Merrifield, Jr. who served as a lieutenant in Capt. Nathaniel Wade’s Co. during the Revolutionary War. The Merrifield House, also known as Rosebank, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980 and is a past recipient of the Mary P. Conley award. 34 High Street, the White Horse Inn (1659 / 1763) - John Andrews, innkeeper sold this lot with a house in 1659. The First Period structure was greatly altered and expanded after its purchase by Jeremiah Lord in 1763, and took its present appearance around 1800. It stayed in the Lord family into the 20th Century. 53 Argilla Road, the Samuel Kinsman house (1750-77) - Samuel Kinsman received this property in a bequest from his father Capt. John Kinsman, who married Hannah Burnham in 1733. The house is generally dated circa 1750 with a 1777 wing from an existing structure that was moved. 100 High Street, the Joseph Fowler house (1720 – 1756) - Joseph Fowler, a carpenter bought the lot in 1720. Records indicate that a house may have existed before Fowler obtained it. The house has a 1-1/2 story, gambrel roof with a central chimney and exposed “gunstock” posts. 37 High Street, Lord – Baker House (1720) - The house is believed to have been built by Robert Lord III in 1720. The property continued in the Lord family until 1775, when Samuel Baker, felt-maker and hatter, purchased it. This early 2nd period house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission. 18 East Street, the Baker-Dodge house (1727) - This house was built by John Baker III, and was purchased by Mary Dennis Dodge in 1818. The house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the town of Ipswich. 14 East Street, the Baker – Newman house (1725) - John Baker obtained a section of the land extending down East Street to Spring Street, originally granted to Rev. Cobbet. John Baker Jr. sold eight acres with buildings including land on the hillside to Nathaniel Jones Jr. in 1742.
Jones sold the house and lot to George Newman Jr., a weaver. 59 Candlewood Road, the Jeremiah Kinsman house (1752) - Stephen Kinsman built the house at 59 Candlewood Rd. in 1752. He bequeathed to his son Jeremiah "all my lands in Walker's Swamp with the dwelling house and buildings thereon, recorded Dec.27, 1756, by which time Jeremiah and his wife Sara Harris were living in it. This house is protected by a preservation agreement with the town of Ipswich and the Historical Commission. 10 County Street, the Dennis – Dodge House (1740) - The 1740 Dennis-Dodge house was owned by Captain John Dennis, whose father Thomas Dennis was a renowned woodworker and owned a home across the street. A succession of Dennis family members retained this property. Captain Ignatius Dodge (1816 - 1901) inherited the house. In the early 1800's, Eunice Hale maintained a school in the building. 16 County Street, the Abraham Knowlton house (1726) - The original house is believed to have been constructed between 1725 and 1740. The house was in poor condition and in 2003 was restored by Ipswich architect Matthew Cummings. It is identical in construction to the Dennis-Dodge house a few doors away. 3 High Street, the John Gaines house (1725) - The John Gaines house at 3 High St. is a 1725 building remodeled in 1806 with Federal trim. The Gaines family in Ipswich are famous for the chairs they produced. The home also served for over one hundred years as the Episcopal rectory.This house has a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission. 1 High Street, the Nathaniel Rogers Old Manse (1727) - The house was constructed for the Rev. Nathaniel Rogers in 1727 by Ipswich cabinet-maker, Capt. Abraham Knowlton. In the early 1900's the building was known as "ye Olde Burnham Inn". This house is protected by a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission. 36 North Main Street, the Dr. John Manning house (1769) - This house has one of the first preservation agreements in Ipswich, created by the Ipswich Heritage Trust. Dr. Manning was also an inventor and built an unsuccessful wind-driven woolen mill on the site of the present Caldwell Block next to the Choate Bridge. His second mill at the Willowdale Dam was more successful. 47 County Street, the Benjamin Grant house (1723) - The Benjamin Grant House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. It appears to have been originally built as a half house. Benjamin Grant was born in 1701 in Ipswich to Robert and Mary Grant, who emigrated from England. Benjamin married Anne Perkins in 1722, and was killed in the French and Indian War in 1756. 58 North Main Street, the Captain Richard Rogers House (1728) - Captain Richard Rogers bought this lot in 1728 and built this high style, gambrel roofed house shortly thereafter.The balustrade, paneling and shell cupboards in this house indicate a high-style Georgian influence, one of the finest of its vintage in New England. 2 Poplar Street, Swasey Tavern (1718) - John Ayres built a house in 1693, and sold it in 1705 to John Whipple, who did extensive alterations. In 1725 Increase How purchased the "good mansion house” from Whipple and ran an inn. In 1789 President George Washington addressed the citizenry from these steps. It was owned by General Joseph Swasey in the early 19th Century. 115 High Street, the Baker – Sutton house (1725) - The widow of Daniel Bosworth, a cowherd sold the lot with a dwelling in 1702 to William Baker, who built the present dwelling. The pilastered chimney and elaborate doorframe were added later. 1 Turkey Shore Road, the Burnham-Patch-Day house (1730) - This house has a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission. The house was built by Thomas Burnham in 1730 on the foundation of the earlier house he bought in 1667. The large ell on Poplar Street was added in the early nineteenth-century. Abner Day bought the house of the heirs of John Patch in 1814 and kept a well-known tavern. 2 Turkey Shore, the Heard – Lakeman House (1776) - Nathaniel and John Heard bought this land in 1776 and built the present house. Nathaniel sold the house to Richard Lakeman III in 1795. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, and has a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission. 88 County Road, the Col. Nathaniel Wade House (1727) - This house was built in 1727 by Captain Thomas Wade. On September 25, 1780, his son Nathaniel Wade received an urgent correspondence from General George Washington that General Arnold had "gone to the enemy" and to take command at West Point. The house is protected by a preservation covenant with the Ipswich Historical Commission.
Ipswich Third Period Houses
The Third Period was the Federal era between c. 1780 and 1830 but particularly from 1785 to 1815. It is also called “Adam” referring to three Scottish brothers who were influential designers of the era. Builders in the new American republic distanced themselves from English influence and created a new style unique to America. Federal era homes can be distinguished from Georgian architecture mostly by details, including semicircular fanlights over the front doors, side-lights on either side of the doors, palladian windows and wide corner boards.
After 1820 architecture in the United States underwent frequent stylistic changes, including the Greek Revival, Italianate and Gothic Revival Periods, followed by a half century of Victorian architecture: 2nd Empire, Queen Anne, Stick, and shingle styles.
188 Argilla Road, the Oliver Cogswell house, 1815 - Oliver Cogswell built this dwelling about 1815. In the early 20th Century it was purchased by Dr. Joseph L. Goodale of Boston, who improved the plain farm dwelling into an attractive summer home. 375 Linebrook Rd., the Thomas Foster house (1800) - This area was settled by Fosters in the mid 17th century and remained in the family until the late 19th century, when it became part of the adjoining David Tullar Perley property. This is one of three traditional five-bay, two-floor Federal houses in Linebrook. 2 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Merrill-Kimball house (1839) - Abigail Holland sold Ezra Merrill, a mariner, 3/4 of an acre in 1839 and he built the present house shortly thereafter. The house was conveyed to his daughter, Kate M. Kimball, upon his death in 1901 An interesting feature in this house is the presence of an oven on the second floor, suggesting that it may have been a 2-family house. 310 High Street, the Stephen Pearson house (1808) - Stephen Pearson served under Benedict Arnold and after Arnold's treason under Colonel Nathaniel Wade of Ipswich. From this farm he sold a wide variety of products including hides, shoes, and black walnuts. Pearson's granddaughter, Emily Pearson Bailey published a book of poems in the late 19th century. 78 Washington Street, the Daniel Haskell House (1835) - The Federal trim and substantial chimneys identify this house as perhaps the earliest of the story-and-one-third 19th century cottages on Linebrook. It is uncertain which Daniel Haskell Sr. or Jr.was the owner. Records show that both died of dementia. 56 Fellows Road, the Josiah Brown house, (1812) - The pasture land along Fellows and Candlewood Roads was purchased in the mid-17th Century by John Brown. His descendant Josiah Brown built this house in 1812. For over two hundred and forty years after John Brown bought the farm, it remained by inheritance in the Brown family through successive generations. 34 Mitchell Road, the Mitchell Farm (1800) - There has been a farm on this site since the late 17th century. Structural evidence suggests that the present house was constructed about 1800. From 1870 until the 20th century the building was owned by the Mitchell family. 30 Summer Street, the Smith-Barton house (moved 1880) - The house at 30-32 Summer Street may have been the High Street home of Daniel Smith, and was moved to the current location in the 1880’s by John Conley. The house was occupied by Civil War Veteran John Barton. 437 Linebrook Road, the Allen Perley farm (1784) - Part of this structure is an older home that was moved from Rowley to this location by John Perley. He and his son Silas expanded it in either direction. Over the years, a large area of land along Linebrook Road came into the possession of the Perley family. 79 High Street, the Thomas H. Lord house (1835) - The ancient Joseph Lord house was at the approximate location of the present Thomas H. Lord house, which was owned at the beginning of the 20th Century by descendants of Joseph Lord. This house appears to have been built between 1814 and 1835. 9 Woods Lane, the Francis Merrifield – Mary Wade house (1792) - Francis Merrifield, Jr. bought this corner lot from his father in 1792 and built the gambrel cottage. Mary Wade, Jr., daughter of Col. Nathaniel Wade of Revolutionary War fame, bought the property in 1827. She bequeathed her estate to her nephew, Francis H. Wade. The house remained in the Wade family well into the 20th Century. 33 East St., the Old Store (1830) - The house at 33 East St. was built in approximately 1830 near the corner of East and County Streets for use as a store by James Quimby, and was moved to this location in 1850 by Joseph Wait. James and Sanford Peatfield - In a building erected by the Heards at the “Lower Mills,” James Peatfield and his brother Sanford were engaged in knitting shirts and drawers upon a rotary warp frame, invented by James as early as the year 1834. A woolen mill was constructed on the northwest side of […] 2 Labor in Vain Road, the McMahon house (b 1856) - Local legend is that the house was built by a sea captain, and it is haunted. The first owner of record is Elizabeth McMahon, daughter of Elizabeth Appleton and Thomas McMahon. She sold the house to James Galbraith in 1864. The owner on the 1910 Ipswich map is Henry Perry Willcomb. 84 High Street, the John Smith house (c 1830) - This house first appears on the 1832 map of Ipswich, in the possession of John Smith. In 1958 the house was purchased by Wilbur Trask, Many of his photos are featured on this site. 285 High Street, the Daniel Nourse house (1809) - Daniel Nourse, a farmer, bought the property in 1790 and built the present house in 1809. This was the home of John W. Nourse, farmer, civil engineer, and local historian who uncovered hundreds of Native American artifacts in his fields. The Nourse family cemetery is located nearby. A milestone from the Old Bay Road is in the basement wall. This is one of the finest Federal-era houses in Ipswich Village and has fallen into decay through neglect. 61 Turnpike Road, the John Foster house (1780) - The sign that hung at Foster's Tavern has been stored in a barn at the Ipswich Museum for a century.and reads, "I shoe the horse, I shoe the ox
I carry the nails in my box
I make the nail, I set the shoe, And entertain some strangers too." 3 Spring Street, the James Scott house (1840) - The first use of 3 Spring Street as a residence was between 1832-1856. It is possible that the building may have been used as a barn or shop before that. The 3 Spring St. property was portioned off from the large two-acre parcel originally owned by Francis Jordan. 90 County Road, the William Wade house (1822) - Captain William Wade was a carpenter by trade, and the house features an attractive stairway and handrails in the front entry hall. The Wade family dominated this stretch along County Road. 26 North Main Street, the Agawam House (1806) - Nathaniel Treadwell built the second Treadwell's Inn in 1806. In the mid-1800′s the inn was modernized with Victorian architectural elements and was renamed the Agawam House. It continued to be the town's first class hotel until it closed in the late 1920′s. 29 North Main Street, the Odd Fellows Building (1817) - In 1817 the Probate Court and Registry erected this building for its own use. In the year 1852, the Registry and its records were removed to Salem. By 1884 a second floor had been added, and it housed the Odd Fellows upstairs, with Blake's Drug Store downstairs. 16 Mineral Street, Wise Saddle Shop (1801) - Jabez Farley sold this lot to Joseph and John Wise in 1801, and they probably built their small dwelling shortly thereafter. As late as 1832, their house was the only structure on Mineral Street. 66 High Street, the John Harris-Mark Jewett house (1795) - This house was built in 1795 by John Harris. In 1784 John Heard convinced the town that if it would buy John Harris' previous home at the corner of High and Manning, he would provide $400 annually for the care of the poor. 1 Lords Square, Payne School (1802) - In 1802, the North District decided to construct a schoolhouse with public subscription. In 1891 it was moved from its previous location where the laundromat is now, and received extensive repairs. Payne School was last used for students in 1942, and since 1972 has served as the Ipswich School superintendent's office. 6 East Street, the Daniel Russell house (1818) - In 1818 Daniel Russell bought the land with the old Norton - Cobbet house on it, the home of two of the first pastors of the First Church in Ipswich. Daniel Russell, the son of Henry and Mary Lord Russell. Daniel Russell was born in Ipswich on August 14, 1767 and died on December 29 1837, having lived 70 years. His wife was Sarah Sutton. 8 Agawam Avenue, the Newmarch – Spiller house (1798) - Hannah Newmarch Spiller was Zaccheus' grandaughter and wife of Thomas Newmarch, who is assumed to have built this house.The estate was bequeathed by Hannah's sister Martha Newmarch (who was unmarried, to Hannah Spiller, daughter of her late sister. 37 East Street, the Stephen Baker house (1834) - The small two story three bay colonial at 37 East Street was built in 1834 by Stephen Baker Jr. as a storehouse for his grocery. The lot was also used a lumber yard and Baker opened a way to the river, constructing a wharf at the end of the lane. The Ipswich Museum - The Museum provides tours of the First Period Whipple House and works by nineteenth-century Ipswich Painters including Arthur Wesley Dow. 35 East Street, the Luther Wait house (1810) - In 1872 Luther Wait removed the County jailor's house to this location. Wait served on several town boards including the school committee and as town assessor, and served two terms as postmaster. 34 North Main Street, the William Pulcifer house (1836) - William Pulcifer was a dry goods storekeeper who built the combination storefront, office and residence building at 34 North Main St. in 1836. This is the only brick residence in the Meetinghouse Green Historic District 85 County Road, the John Wade house (1810) - The John Wade house was built at the far end of South Green in 1810, but was moved further down County Road in 1948 to make room for the South Green Burial Ground expansion. This house bears remarkable similarity to the homes of housewrights Asa Wade and Samuel Wade, both still standing in their original locations on County Rd. facing the South Green. 14 Candlewood Road, the Joseph Brown and Elizabeth Perkins house (1779) - Elizabeth Brown, descendant of the early Candlewood settler John Brown, was the wife of Captain Perkins, and gained possession of this lot. In December, 1779, their daughter, Elizabeth, became the wife of Joseph Brown, of the same family line, who built this house. 78 County Road, the Samuel Wade house (1831) - In 1831, Samuel Wade purchased a lot and built this house as his home. In the early-mid Twentieth Century, the Samuel Wade house became the Southside Nursing Home, with 20 rooms & 13 bathrooms. It was restored as a private residence by the Marchand family, who made it their home in the 1960’s and 70’s. 76 County Road, the Asa Wade house (1831) - This building is similar to the house next door, which was built by Samuel Wade, who may have built both houses. Asa Wade is buried in the Old South Cemetery across the street. 72 County Road, the David Giddings house (1828) - The site of the David Giddings house was bequeathed by Jonathan Wade to his grandson Nathaniel in 1749. In 1828 Wade sold the lot and the shop standing on it to David Giddings, who enlarged it to a two-story dwelling facing the Green. 52 N. Main Street, the Treadwell – Hale house (1799) - This building is believed to have been built after the land was sold to Nathaniel Treadwell 3rd in 1799. He transferred to Joseph Hale one month later. There is a stone cooking hearth in the basement of the house, which is protected by a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission. 15 County Street, the Rev. Levi Frisbie house (1788) - This house at 15 County Street was built in 1788 for Rev. Levi Frisbie, pastor of First Church in Ipswich. He continued in the pastorate thirty years until his death in 1806, succeeded by the Rev. David Tenney Kimball. 19 North Main Street, Thomas Manning house (1799) - This house was built by Dr. Thomas Manning in January, 1799, and remained in the family until 1858, when it became a parsonage. This house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission.
1st Period and early 2nd Period houses in the Ipswich Architectural Preservation District