The “Art of the Americas” wing at Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts features building artifacts from Ipswich and the surrounding North Shore area. The second-floor framing of the Manning house built in Ipswich about 1692 at the intersection of Manning and High Streets is in the America’s wing. It was once used as the town’s alms house. When it was razed in 1925, the timber frame was preserved and put on display at the Museum. The photo below shows how it was displayed in the 20th Century.
The framework is now displayed on the first floor of the “Art of the America’s” Wing of the museum. Shown below is the summer beam from the Manning house, with its floor beams attached.
“Summer beams” such as this were a standard feature in the First Period architecture of colonial Massachusetts and are still found in many of the houses in the historic district of the town. Also on this floor is a recreation of a section of the interior of a West Boxford home from the early 1700’s, including original beams, bricks, woodwork and flooring. On the next level is the re-creation of rooms from the 19th century Oak Hill mansion in what was South Danvers from land now occupied by the North Shore Mall in Peabody. Read more about the Manning House display. Photo, Museum of Fine Arts