In the mid to late 1800’s Ipswich was undergoing an economic renaissance with hundreds of people employed in the mills and bankers doing quite well. North Main Street and the neighboring area became the fashionable place to build your new “in-town” house. The second half of the 19th Century marked an abrupt change from the Greek Revival style to a fascination with Italianate architecture, and ended with the Queen Anne Victorian style at its peak, in an era known as the Romantic Movement of American architecture.
At 2 Meeting House Green, the Joseph N. Farley house, ca 1842 is an elegant Greek Revival home, predating the Italianate and Victorian homes that would come in the next few decades.
This is a view of North Main Street looking toward the Green in the late 1800’s before the architectural renaissance.
One of the earliest appearances of ornate architectural details and the liberal use of color on North Main Street was the James Damon house at 46 North Main Street, built in 1862.
The ancient Dodge house at the corner of North Main Street and Summer Street was taken down in 1890 and replaced by the Victorian home shown below.
The Perkins house was built at the corner of Meeting House Green and East Streets in 1860 and has fine Italianate features.
This is a colorized photo of High Street lined with elm trees in the late 1800’s .
East Street, looking from the corner of North Main and High Streets, was looking a bit shabby in 1870. The Day-Dodge house on the right corner is still standing today.