Bialek Park was once the town’s semi-professional ballpark, used by our local teams. Baseball’s popularity grew quickly after the Civil War, and there was an Ipswich team in the last few decades of the 19th Century. The 1884 Ipswich Birdseye map shows the park as an empty lot with what appears to be the high fence that surrounded the ballpark.
In 1912 the town purchased two private lots that had been the ballpark, constructed a public playground, and removed the fence. (See Town Report).
In 1977 the park was renamed to honor the late John S. Bialek, who graduated from Manning High School in 1933 and was the first inductee to the Ipswich Athletic Hall of Fame. Bialek served as a selectman and and co-founded the Ipswich Little League.
The 1912 Ipswich Town Report shows the following expenditure for purchase of land to create the playground: to D.M. Smith (assumed administrator of the Cogswell property) and Thomas H. Lord. The town received an appropriation from the Boston and Maine Railroad, which abuts the property. The park was expanded at some later date.