The Caleb Lord House, corner of High and Manning
Featured image: The house on the left in this old photo is the Caleb Lord House, on the corner of Manning and High Streets. Notice the very steep slope of the roof which hangs over the second story windows, and the massive center chimney.
While High street was one of the town’s very earliest streets, laid out in 1634, Manning Street is relatively young. It was built in 1882 and is named after the well-known family of Ipswich doctors and entrepreneurs. Dr. Thomas Manning gave most of his estate to the town to establish a high school which was built and dedicated on August 26, 1874. Manning Street was laid out and built shortly thereafter.
These are traditional characteristics of Ipswich’s First Period houses (built between 1640 and 1725). Behind the Caleb Lord house is another very early house that was torn down, and for a long time a vacant lot remained. You can see that it was a double house, two houses joined together.
The Caleb Lord house on the corner of High and Manning Streets was replaced in 1927 by the house in this 2005 photo. It was the home of Bernard Sullivan and is still in the family. The view is from the same location. It is a modified form of the “American foursquare” house that was typical of the 1920’s and 30’s. Behind it one can see a house that was erected in the early 21st Century. Although it has somewhat similar proportions to the house in the earlier photo, this is a modern house with vinyl siding and is raised substantially above the yard level. The roof pitch is much shallower. Notice also that the two houses are set back much farther from the street than the First Period houses of the earlier photo. The third house in this photo is the same one as in the older photo, the J.W. Gould house, still standing and recently renovated. Paul and Kathleen McGinley’s house is just beyond it, and can barely be seen in this photo. The fire hydrant is still in the same location!
The Jacob Manning house, corner of High and Manning
The Art of the Americas wing at Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts features the second-floor framing of the Manning house built in Ipswich about 1692 across Manning Street from the house above. When it was razed in 1925, the timber frame was preserved and put on display at the Museum. .
occupied by the North Shore Mall in Peabody. Read more about the Manning House display.
The Baker House, corner of High and Mineral
The Baker house was built in approximately 1686 and stond at the corner of High St and Mineral St. Very conspicuous with its low overhanging straw roof, It was deemed a fire hazard and was razed in 1849. The sketch predates the small green cottage, but the Federal-era Ringe-Newman house (light blue), and the Georgian-era Holland-Ringe house and the William Caldwell house beyond it still stand.