Barton Stone and Monuments on Brown Square, was the oldest business in Ipswich . A.J. Barton & Son Inc. was started in 1889 by August Barton Sr., and continued under his son Augustus Barton Jr., known as “Gus.”
Gordon Player, Phillip Lepage and Scott Kershaw each owned the company in later years, and the company expanded into tile and granite counter-top sales and services for all of New England. The company made perhaps three quarters of the older gravestones in our area, and acquired its materials from as far away as North Dakota. Occasionally people asked Barton Stone to produce a replica of an original stone that had deteriorated beyond repair.
The company’s record books, one for each year, dating back to the beginning. Each page of each book has a sketch and proposal for a gravestone, and states the location, the price and the purchaser. They were donated on February 12, 2015 to the Ipswich Museum.