The video above was posted on Youtube by Donald Freyleue.
Herman Melanson’s Boatyard on Water Street burned in a spectacular fire on August 7, 2009. The boathouse was constructed by Herman Melanson’s father in 1954. Herman and his mother continued to live there after it was sold to Arthur Harrington in 1985. Harrington’s heirs had a sales agreement with developers who planned to build condos.
The entire building, three boats and several vehicles were destroyed. In previous years, Melanson’s boathouse had been an active boat-building facility. Mr. Melanson and his health-care worker managed to escape.
In 2015, Riverine LLC submitted a plan to build a three-unit, multifamily building on the empty lot.
At the beginning of the Twentieth Century, this was the location of a three-story coal building, which was moved to Brown Square and used as a grain silo. Today it is part of Tedford’s Lumber.