Hurricane Carol, September 6, 1954
These photos were taken after the September 6, 1954 storm knocked down trees and power lines all over Ipswich. Hurricane Carol devastated the Massachusetts south coast and Rhode Island, and was responsible for 65 deaths in New England and $642 million in damage. On September 11, Hurricane Edna hit New England with additional destruction.
- This image shows Jack and Molly Hayes’ house (later owned by Dr Arthur Grimes) on South Green. The large elms were cut down due to Hurricane Carol damage in August of 1954. (photo and text courtesy Ipswich Museum). All three houses are still standing. The house in the foreground is known as “The Columns” but when it was built, it was called “Locke’s folly.”
Damage from Hurricane Carol on Union Street. None of these buildings are still standing.
Read more at the New England Historical Society