“Why and when the name was given is largely a matter of conjecture. Pastor Higginson of Salem wrote to friends in England of the primitive way in which the earliest settlers often lighted their houses by burning thin strips of the pitch pine trees. The suggestion is natural that this fine farming country was originally covered with a pine forest and that it was of so clear grain and so rich in pitch that it furnished the light for many homes.
The more prosaic name “The South Eighth” prevailed years ago. Strictly speaking, the ancient neighborhood to which the name was originally applied centered about the corner where the Essex road and the Candlewood road divide, but for convenience sake, its bounds will be stretched and it will be taken as including the whole region east of the Old Bay road and south of the road to Argilla.”
On the east side of the Bay Road, the great tract of pasture, tillage land, meadow and swamp, bounded by the Bay Road, Essex Road, the Candlewood Road, Fellows Lane and Lakeman’s Lane (*now known as “Parson’s Way) was a part of the Common land of the Town, and when the great area of Common lands was divided into Eighths in 1709, it became part of the division known as the South Eighth and was known as The Inner Common of the South Eighth. About 1720, the proprietors of the Inner Common apportioned individual shares, division lines were run and individual titles were then established.
*From Candlewood, an Ancient Neighborhood in Ipswich, Massachusetts, written by Thomas Franklin Waters, with genealogies of John Brown, William Fellows, and Robert Kinsman)
|27 Lakeman’s||Benjamin Fellows||1740||Read|
|16 Fellows Rd||Ruth Fellows||1714||Read|
|24 Fellows Rd||Fellows-Appleton||1693||Read|
|44 Fellows Rd||Joseph Fellows Jr||1734|
|14 Candlewood||Perkins – Brown||1779||Read|
|36 Candlewood||Martin Keith||1806||Read|
|49 Candlewood||Robert Kinsman||1721||Read|
|59 Candlewood||Jeremiah Kinsman||1756||Read|
|65 Candlewood||Rhoda Kinsman||1756||Read|
The Jeremiah Kinsman house was built in 1752. Several members of the Kinsman family lived in this neighborhood close to the Essex town line. The home was built by Stephen Kinsman for his son Jeremiah and is known as the Jeremiah Kinsman house. Continue reading.
The Joseph Fellows – Daniel W. Appleton House at 24 Fellows Road was built before 1693. It was moved to this location and greatly altered in 1832, with further alterations after that. William Fellows was one of the early settlers of Ipswich,and his son Joseph greatly expanded the estate along Fellows and Candlewood Roads. Continue reading
- The Descendants of Robert Kinsman of Ipswich, Massachusetts
- William Israel Fellows
- Fellows Families of Onondoga County NY and their Ancestors” written by Erwin Fellows
- Genealogical Record of the Dscendants of Robert Kinsman of Ipswich Massachusetts
- Robert Kinsman
- A Genealogy of the Descendants of John Brown of Ipswich