Jonathan Wade arrived in Ipswich in 1635 with the first wave of Puritan settlers. He came into ownership of land along the South Green originally granted to the Rev. Nathaniel Ward, and left an estate valued at £783. In the 19th Century, the Wade family of housewrights built several homes on for the family on County Rd., and other houses throughout the town.
|Asa Wade House, 76 County Road
The Asa Wade House at 76 County Road in Ipswich was built between 1831 and 1836. Like the Samuel Wade house next door it has the gable end facing the street in the Greek Revival style.
|Samuel Wade House, 78 County Rd.
In 1831, Samuel Wade purchased a lot and built this house as his home. The bay windows in the front and rear are the only external reminder of the early Victorian features that were incorporated into the facade of the structure.
|The Reverends Daniel Fitz and Moses Welch House, 84 County Road
The house at 84 County Road was built in 1829 by neighbor Samuel Wade. The house was apparently used as a joint residence by Rev. Moses Welch, who assumed the pastorate of Linebrook Church in 1831, and the Rev. Daniel Fitz, who assumed the pastorate of the nearby South Church in 1827 upon the death of the Rev. Joseph Dana
|John Wade House, 85 County Rd.
The John Wade house was built at the far end of South Green in 1810, but was moved further down County Road in 1948 to the corner of Lanes End to make room for the South Green Burial Ground expansion.
|Col. Nathaniel Wade House, 88 County Rd.
The Nathaniel Wade House at 88 County Road in Ipswich is one of the original 16 houses that have preservation agreements (“covenants”) with the Ipswich Historical Commission. The house was built in 1727 by Captain Thomas Wade. The Wade brothers, Jonathan and Thomas, owned nearly, if not all, the land in the area.
|William Wade house, 90 County Road
Captain William Wade built the Greek Revival style house at 90 County Road in 1822. He was a carpenter by trade, and the house features an attractive stairway and handrails in the front entry hall
|The Nathaniel Wade house and shop, 92 County Rd.|
|Jesse and John Wade’s shop, 94 County Rd.
Jesse and John Wade were in a long line of builders from the Wade family, who constructed several houses on the east side of County Rd. This 1888 house is said to have been their shop.
|The Samuel Wade- S. F. Canney housw, 17 Argilla Rd.
This house was built by housewright Samuel Wade in 1845. The steep pitched gables are typical of the Gothic Revival style, popular between 1840 and 1865. Most surviving examples exist in the northeastern states. S. F. Canney owned the Canney Lumber Company, originally located near the County St., bridge, and was later located close to Tedford Lumber. The Canney Lumber Company and Burke Heel Shoe factory were destroyed in a massive fire in 1933. Most surviving examples exist in northeastern states where architects first popularized the style.
|The Francis Merrifield – Mary Wade house, 9 Woods Lane
Francis Merrifield Jr. built this dwelling on a lot he purchased in 1792. His heirs sold the house and land to Mary Wade Jr., Aug. 21, 1827. She bequeathed her estate to her nephew, Francis H. Wade.