Featured image: Engraving of Market Square in Ipswich from John Warner Barber’s Historical collections: being a general collection of interesting facts, traditions, biographical sketches, anecdotes, etc. relating to the history and antiquities of every town in Massachusetts,” published in 1839
Aerial view of Meeting House Green and part of the lower North Green, from the first half of the Twentieth Century. Although the church has changed, must of the landscape remains the same.
Looking up toward the North Green from Market St.
The lower right side of the North Green
Market Street from Town Hill, winter 2015. Photo by Justin Bartlett
Looking from the North Green toward Market and Central streets in the 21st Century.
Looking toward Market St. from the Town Green, 2003
View from the Town Green, 1960
This postcard from 1910 shows the trolley that crossed the Choate Bridge from Essex to Ipswich
View of the Caldwell Building from the Town Green. Note the row of shops that once lined the side of North Main down to the bridge. This view also shows benches and a walkway just below the rocks on the left side.
The foot of the Town Green the morning after the 1894 Central Street fire. Note the water pump for the horses, and rows of benches where people once passed the day.
Looking up from the foot of the North Green, 1880. A bandstand once sat just below the rocks in the section on the right, indicating that at one time this area was used for public performances.
Winter on the North Green
A postcard of the view
Another postcard, showing how the foot of North Green was once finely sculpted, with benches for seating, water for the horses, and a small bandstand.
1867 sketch of Marketplace Square shows the Choate Bridge on the far left. The buildings are in the location of the Caldwell Block (built circa 1870), home to the Choate Bridge Pub. The Old Stone Mill can be seen in the background.
Painting by Susan Howard Boice shows the North Green as viewed from Market St.
This photo appears to show the old First Church when it was still painted dark red, before 1940.
The Ipswich Female Seminary, late 19th Century
In the early 20th Century, a row of small connected shops wrapped around the corner from the Choate Bridge up North Main to the Ipswich Female Seminary. The Christian Science Church sits at that location now.
There is no trace of the elm trees that once lined North Main St. heading up the hill to Meeting House Green.
Before Central Street existed, North Main St. was the commercial center of Ipswich. The small shop on the left no longer stands.
Trolleys at the top of Market St., about 1900