Photos of Market St. from the present day back to the early days of photography.
12 Market Street, the Abraham Wait house (1832) - Constructed in 183, this house is the only surviving early 19th Century brick building on Market Street. Abraham Wait and his brother operated a shoe store, and over the years the building has been used as a bank, business office, doctors office, and dwelling house.
20 Market Street, the Stacey-Ross house (1734) - In 1733 John Stacey "being incapable of labor " petitioned the town that he may build a house beside the rocky ledge on the lower North Green "for selling cakes and ale for his livelihood." The house was moved to this location 100 years after its construction.
24 Market Street, the Aaron Jewett house (c 1800) - Constructed around the beginning of the 19th Century, this small building has served as Tetrault Jewelry Store since 1941, one of the longest-lasting family businesses in Ipswich.
25 Market Street, the Nathaniel R. Farley Shoe Factory (1830-56) - One of the oldest commercial buildings still standing on Market Street, it was originally the Nathaniel R. Farley shoe factory. The building was altered in 1856 to its current appearance. In the second half of the 20th Century the building housed Goodhue's Hardware Store,
27 Market Street, the Ipswich Post Office (1939) - The Ipswich Post Office was built on Market St. in 1939 with U.S. Treasury funds.
48 Market Street, the Bailey house (c 1887) - Dr. George Bailey served as medical examiner for Ipswich and Essex County. His shingle style Victorian home was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
56 Market Street, the Lord-Sullivan-Haskell house (1847) - Captain John Lord made his last voyage as master of the ship Miles Standish to Calcutta sailing May 17, 1855. The next owner was John J. Sullivan was an inventor with multiple patents for improvements to sewing machines.
61 Market Street, formerly the Damon Block (1982) - This is the third commercial building at that location. The Court House on Town Hill moved to this location in the mid-19th Century by Curtis Damon. It was destroyed by fire in 1894 and replaced by a large elegant Victorian building which burned twice.