Excerpts from Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, by Thomas Franklin Waters
The stone bridges which span the Ipswich river with their graceful arches are picturesque and interesting, but the readiness with which the Town proceeded to build the latter two stone bridges is in singular contrast with the belligerent opposition to the earliest ones.
The foot bridge at the Mill
South Main Street was an ancient way, extending to the river, where early foot-travellers crossed the river on a foot-bridge. For the first dozen years of the settlement, all travel across the river by horses or wheeled vehicles was at various ford-ways. This original foot bridge was “near the Mill,” and was sometimes called the “Mill Bridge.” In 1655, some repairs were needed, and the Town “agreed with John Andrews Jr., to bring so many sufficient rayles to the bridge-foot, as will cover the Bridge over the River, neare the mill, for the sum of £3. ”
The cart bridge
On the 4th of January 1646, “the names of such as promise carting voluntary toward the Cart Bridge” were entered in full in the Town Record. This is the first definite allusion to construction of a bridge for wheeled vehicles, and it occupied the site of the present Choate Bridge. Forty pounds sterling were appropriated. Mr. William Payne, John Whipple and Richard Jacob were chosen as a building committee. On March 11, 1647, the work was so far advanced, that it was “Ordered that the Surveyors shall take care to make good the passage at both ends of the Cart Bridge, sufficient for passages of horse and carts soe soon as Carpenters have made it capable.” Col. Samuel Appleton at that time owned and lived in the Sherborne Wilson house, still standing, and the bridge thus came to be known as the “Appleton Bridge.” The river side of South Main Street was wholly unoccupied and ungranted as late as 1693, except one small lot by the dam, which was occupied by Samuel Ordway’s blacksmith shop.
The Choate Bridge
On May 13th, 1762, the Town voted that “Col. Choate, Capt. Farley and Capt. Baker be a Committee to take a view of Appleton’s Bridge & consider the expediency of building said bridge into a stone bridge etc.” The old Appleton bridge was found too narrow by six or eight feet for the increased travel, and a new one twenty feet wide was planned by the Town. Application was made to the County to bear half the expense. The substantial Stone Bridge was built forthwith at a cost of £996 10s. There was a suspicion of a mild “graft” apparently, which was indignantly repelled by the Committee. Col. John Choate’s account was scaled to £13-6s-8d, whereupon he gave his services without charge. Aaron Potter received ten shillings. Joseph Appleton Esq. received £20 for measuring rocks, keeping and settling accounts, paying and receiving money etc. Capt. Isaac Smith and Mr. John Appleton were refused any compensations. Col. Choate was the moving party in the great undertaking. There is a tale that his horse was tethered nearby, when the wooden arches were removed, that he might mount and ride if the popular belief that the bridge would not stand. This story may be consigned to the limbo of idle traditions, for even a suspicion of such a casualty is a libel on the intelligence of our highly cultured Town.
The road from the Warner dam to Topsfield road was originally located west of the present Mill Road, which was laid out and accepted by the Town in Dec, 1817. In the Spring of 1820, the Warners and others petitioned the Court of Sessions for a bridge. The Town opposed but the Court ordered it built. The Town then petitioned for a discontinuance of the road. Another petition was filed by the Warners in the following year with no better success. Five years then elapsed. The petitioners were as determined as the Town, and in 1829, they secured from the County officials a fresh order to the Town to proceed. The bridge was built, a beautiful three-arched structure of granite, but the Town voted in July, 1832, to employ Rufus Choate “and such other learned and respectable counsel to contest payment of any portion of the expense. The case went to the Supreme Court, which rendered an adverse decision in November, 1833, and assessed the Town $1498.
The Choate Bridge (again)
In March, 1829, while the battle for the bridge at Warner’s Mills was hot and furious, the Town and County began to consider plans for widening the ancient Choate Bridge, which had been built in 1764, and was now too narrow for the great volume of travel which passed through the Town. Nothing was decided and in 1834 Joseph Wait and 194 others came to the Town with a proposition that in addition to the widening of the bridge, the Town should secure the widening of the road up the hill. The County Commissioners relocated the way over a portion land of Joseph L. Ross, and paid him $800, and removed the house, bam and blacksmith shop. A public subscription netted $654, the buildings were sold for $470 and the Committee reported on Dec. 8, 1834, that only $126 more was needed to cover the expense. The Town voted to raise this sum provided the land be in the highway forever, and petitioned the County Commissioners to include it within the highway bounds.
Contentions now arose as to the location of the road and the widening of the bridge. A variety of makeshifts to avoid expense were resorted to by the Town, the most ingenious of which was a Remonstrance to the Legislature in March, 1837, against any Act which would make the Town liable for any part of the cost, as Choate Bridge was over tide-water. This clever device failed to carry, and the Town was ordered to proceed. The matter was referred to a committee, but man after man refused to accept appointment. Finally, Joseph Farley, Daniel Cogswell and Otis P. Lord consented to serve, but the question of widening was indefinitely postponed. Again in 1838 the County demanded action, but the Town postponed indefinitely. The bridge was widened and the Town’s portion ($1037.50) was assessed in January, 1839. Legal advice was again sought but in vain. The most amusing feature of the affair was that the sum assessed was nearly two hundred dollars less than the $1200 the Town had agreed to pay in 1836. The battle of the Stone Bridge had surpassed in virulence the battle of Warner’s Mills.
The Willowdale Bridge
The Willowdale bridge, or the Winthrop Street Bridge as it is now known, was built in 1844 or 1845. A petition for a road and bridge by Dr. Manning’s mill was filed in August, 1844. The Town opposed its construction but the County ordered the road and bridge built and the work was accomplished. (The document seems to indicate that this was a stone arch bridge, which has been replaced by a wooden structure.
County St. bridge, with wool / box factory
Joseph Ross became a partner in a group that in 1863 purchased land next to the newly constructed County St. bridge and erected a water-powered yarn mill, later adding machinery for the production of hosiery and knitting.
County St. Bridge
Green Street was once called Green Lane and was anciently known as Bridge Lane. There was apparently a foot bridge that crossed the river, where the Island in the middle of the span on which the present bridge stands. County Street, or Cross Street, as it was called, originally terminated at Green Street, and all travel from North or East toward Hamilton passed up Green Street, past the churches and back down Town Hill and over the Choate Bridge. In 1860, Ira Worcester and others of Ipswich, Hamilton, Wenham and Essex, addressed a petition to the County Commissioners, characterizing this route as “very circuitous and hilly and otherwise inconvenient,” and affirmed that “vast quantities of heavy material such as granite, coal, timber, lumber, lime and hay” passed over this roundabout road. They asked that a way be laid out over the land owned by the County and then by a bridge over the river to Mill Street, as the section of County St. from the river to County Rd. was then called. The County Commissioners laid out the new road on March 5, 1861, and the Town voted on March 11th to build the road and bridge.
Green St. Bridge
Green Street Bridge
The men living on Turkey Shore and other inhabitants of the Lower End of the Town had petitioned for the privilege of building a bridge on March 27, 1719, over the river at their own charges & cost to Foster Lane (Water St.), convenient for horse and men to pass over. The desired privilege was granted, provided the river be not obstructed, but it was never implemented. The extension of Green Street to Turkey Shore was considered at the March meeting in 1880, and after due consideration, the Town voted on October 12, 1881, to build a wooden bridge. The wooden bridge soon decayed and the Town voted on May 4, 1894, to replace it with a bridge of stone.
The High Street bridge
A trolley line from Beverly through Hamilton to Essex and Gloucester opened in 1895, and on June 26, 1896, the first car on the branch that followed Candlewood Road to Ipswich arrived in town. The following year, the Georgetown, Rowley and Ipswich Street Railway opened, but its tracks ended at the High Street crossing of the B&M railroad, Passengers wishing to continue through Ipswich had to walk the distance from High Street to Market Square to change lines. In 1906 the town and B&M railway gained permission from the Massachusetts Grade Crossing Commission to construct the High Street Bridge, and on July 1907, the first set of improved eight-wheel trolleys crossed the bridge, making it possible to go from one end of Essex County to the other for 15 cents.