Maple Street first appears in the 1884 Ipswich map, without houses. A white arrow in the photo above points to the house still standing at 6 Maple Street, with a horse in front. The photo was taken from Town Hill by Edward Darling, around 1890. In the foreground are houses still standing on High Street. On the far left of the photo is the old Lord Square fire station and the Payne School, bright white. Behind them you can see the train tracks. Several houses are seen behind it on Washington Street. The hillside behind was still primarily farmland. By 1910, the Ipswich map shows the street completely filled. The house indicated by the arrow is shown as #6 and #8, apparently designed as a duplex, belong to G. Tozier.
Sometime after 1910 the name was changed to Maple Avenue. View a list of Maple St. residents from the 1910 Ipswich Census
Information below was provided by the Ipswich Historical Commission in the 1980’s, and link to black and white images at the MACRIS site. Color photos are from the Ipswich Patriot Properties database.