Featured image: The Thomas Lord house on High Street in Ipswich dates to 1658.
Robert Lord arrived with the first settlers of Ipswich in late 1634 or early 1635, probably from Sudbury, Suffolk, England, where he was born in 1603. Soon after his arrival, Robert Lord was appointed Ipswich Town Clerk and Clerk of the Court of Ipswich and held those posts until his death in 1683. Robert Lord married Mary Waite in Finchingfield, Essex, England in 1630.
They arrived in Ipswich with four children and had five more children here: Hannah Lord, who married John Grow, Mary Lord, who married William Chandler of Newbury, Thomas Lord, who married Alice Rand of Ipswich, Robert Lord Jr, who married Hannah Day of Ipswich, Samuel Lord, who married Elizabeth Ted of Charlestown, Abigail Lord, who married Jacob Foster of Ipswich, Sarah Lord, who married Joseph Wilson of Andover (and was arrested in the Salem witchcraft trials), Susannah Lord, who married Thomas Osgood in Ipswich, and Nathaniel Lord, who married Mary Call of Ipswich.
Almost every house on High Street has been lived in by a member of the Lord family. Asa Lord’s store anchored Lords Square for over 100 years.
Lords Square - Lord’s Square was known as Brewer’s Corner in early Ipswich. John Brewer was a town clerk and being on what was then the outskirts of town owned a large lot, which he divided into sections and sold. Brewer’s First Period home at 82 High Street was built in 1700 and still stands just north of … Continue reading Lords Square
79 High Street, the Thomas H. Lord house (1835) - The ancient Joseph Lord house was at the approximate location of the present Thomas H. Lord house, which was owned at the beginning of the 20th Century by descendants of Joseph Lord. This house appears to have been built between 1814 and 1835. 68 High Street, the John Wood – Lord house (c 1740) - After her husband Daniel disappeared in 1727 at Penobscot Bay after being attacked by Indians, the court allowed Martha Ringe to marry John Wood before the customary three years had passed "in order to advance her circumstances." It was owned by Nathaniel Lord and his heirs in the 19th Century. 85 High Street, the Elizabeth and Phillip Lord house (1774) - This house was built about 1774 by Phillip Lord when he married the widowed Elizabeth Kimball Warner who owned the property. In 1832, the house was acquired by Benjamin Fewkes, who smuggled the first lace stocking machine into this country from England in 1818. He set up his hosiery shop In the rear of the house. 83 High Street, the Isaac Lord house (before 1784) - The house has been in the Lord family for generations. Deed records do not indicate the age of the house, which appears to be quite old, with a massive stone chimney base, low ceilings, boxed summer beams, wide board floors, and an asymetrical construction. Despite oral tradition, there is no documentation that it was once the Old Jail on Meeting House Green. 73 High Street, the Nathaniel Lord house (C 1720) - This house is named after Nathaniel Lord who spent 36 years as the Register of Probate in the Ipswich Court. The western half of this house predates the eastern side and may have 17th Century elements. 59 East Street, the Daniel Ringe house (1719) - Samuel York the small lot fronting on East Street to Daniel Ringe, Oct. 16, 1719 . Ringe sold to John Holland, Nov. 6, 1742. Daniel Ringe was an early settler of Ipswich, and as a young man worked as a cow-herd. Captain Ringe was a soldier in the Indian wars in his and became a prominent citizen of Ipswich. 21 High Street, the Haskell – Lord house (c 1750) - This fine house was built circa 1750 by Mark Haskell, an Ipswich cabinet-maker. Haskell served as a Light House Volunteer during the Revolutionary War. Daniel Lord married Eunice, the daughter of Mark Haskell, and Haskell conveyed to him the house and an acre of land in 1767, which is the first registered deed. 52 High Street, the Henry Kingsbury – Robert Lord house (1660) - Henry Kingsbury, the earliest known owner of this lot, is first mentioned in Ipswich Records of 1638. The oldest elements of the present house date to 1660, the year Henry Kingsbury sold a house and lot to Robert Lord. Key features of this house include a hidden room and 10 fireplaces.
Read: Robert Lord of Ipswich MA, online source by Bruce Lord