Deacon Maximilian Jewett was born in Bradford, West Riding of Yorkshire, England, baptized Oct. 4th, 1607. He with his wife Ann, and his brother Joseph sailed from Hull, England in 1638 in the ship John, with a colony under the leadership of Rev. Ezekiel Rogers. They arrived at Boston about the first of December, 1638, spent the winter in Salem, and in the spring of 1639 founded the town of Rowley, Mass.
Jeremiah Jewett, son of Joseph, was brought to this country by his father in 1638. He married in Rowley, Mass., May 1, 1661, Sarah Dickinson, daughter of Thomas and Janet Dickinson. She was bom in Rowley Oct. 16, 1664, and died Jan. 30, 1723-4.” They made their home in Ipswich near the Rowley line. He was one of the soldiers from Ipswich in King Philip’s War, and died here on May 20, 1714. Generations of the Jewett family made their homes on upper High Street, and the area near the Rowley town line came to be known as Ipswich Village. Read more at History and genealogy of the Jewetts of America.
The Jewetts of Rowley
The following images, and text were provided by the Rowley Historical Society in 1977, with much of text written by Ruth S. Gardner, and is available online through the Massachusetts Historical Commission site (MACRIS).
ROW.10 Joseph Jewett house, 46 Bradford St., Rowley MA, 1785. Built on original lot of John Spofford in Bradford Street, one of the first streets laid out in the town.
ROW.16 S. P. Jewett house, 34 Central St., Rowley MA, c 1750. The house was built on the lot granted in 1665 to Rev. Samuel Shephard., pastor of First Parish. His “House lot or place to build upon” was a “Piece of land about two acres be It on the west and north-west on all other parts also bounded by the common or highway.” This lot adjoined that of the Rev. Ezekiel Rogers’ lot and site of his homestead. Ezekiel Rogers being the founder of the town, Rowley was formerly called Ezekiel Rogers Plantation and was incorporated as Rowley in 1639.
ROW.102 John Harris Jr. – Deacon Joshua Jewett house, 46 Hammond St., Rowley Ma c 1765. The house was built in 1765 by John Harris Jr. who probably farmed the surrounding land and built the tidal mill in the adjacent marsh in the late 1700s. The subsequent owners were John Harris’s daughter, Phebe and her husband, Deacon Joshua Jewett from 1796 until 1861. Deacon Jewett sporadically kept a diary during the period and recounts many of the activities he performed on the property which include stock raising and butchering, carriage rental, crop raising. Deacon Jewett also performed services as town clerk for 22 years, selectman, assessor, school committee member, justice of the peace, town clerk and musical composer, physician and teacher.
ROW.36: The Abraham Jewett house, Main Street, Rowley Ma, circa 1660 on Rt. 1A just past the Ipswich town line dates back to 1660. Jewett’s History reads: “In 1660, Abraham Jewett purchased the lot on the corner of Main and Prospect Streets and built a small house that year. The building has undergone so many alterations that it is difficult to determine the original structure.” 17th century construction is visible in the oldest part of the structure nearest to Prospect Street.