We have been researching the identities of five small houses on East Street on the south side, between North Main and County Streets, constructed after 1856. The Google Maps screenshot below is above.
The identities of most of the houses on these pages are tentative, based on the 1856, 1872, 1884 and 1910 Ipswich maps, and information provided in Thomas Franklin Waters’ book, “Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.” Screenshots of maps and supporting information are provided on each house page.
Additional information, recollections and corrections are much appreciated. Please add your comments at the bottom of this page or the individual house pages.
23 East Street (c 1860) - The Ipswich Patriot Properties site indicates that the house at 23 East Street in Ipswich was constructed in approximately 1930. The Historical Commission records show that it was constructed between 1856 and 1872, as determined by the dates on which it appears on town maps. No further information is known. 3 County Street (1850) - The house does not appear on the Ipswich maps through 1910, at which time this tiny parcel was owned by Dr. Russell. It may be a wing of the Captain William Treadwell house which was removed from the other corner of East Street in order to widen the intersection. 3 East Street, the James W. Perkins house and Provisions (1860) - This house was built between 1856 and 1872. Samuel Hunt purchased the ancient Day-Dodge house at the corner of North Main and East Streets on Feb. 14, 1849 with three lots adjoining. The 1856 Ipswich map shows Burroughs Machine Shop at this location.
The 1896 Ipswich Business Directory lists J.W. Perkins, Provisions and Meat Market at this location on East Street.