Ipswich houses that were moved
Ipswich has over 40 houses or other buildings that were moved, or have sections that were moved from a different location. Many other small outbuildings in town were also moved decades ago and are still standing.
124 High Street, the Joseph King house (1856) - The house was moved to its present location when the High Street bridge was built in 1906. The King House was constructed in an older Federal style, and originally had a frontispiece with fan and sidelights. 3 County Street, the William Treadwell house (1850) - The house does not appear on the Ipswich maps through 1910, at which time this tiny parcel was owned by Dr. Russell. It may be a wing of the Captain William Treadwell house which was removed from the other corner of East Street in order to widen the intersection. 31 South Main Street, the Joseph Manning house (1727) - A house on this lot was purchased by Timothy Souther in 1794 and stayed in the Souther family until 1860. It was taken down in 1917, and the Dr. Joseph Manning house was moved to this location so that an automobile dealership could be constructed across from the Old Town Hall. 48 North Main Street, the Thomas Morley house (c 1750, alt. 1845) - This house and its northern neighbor, 50 North Main, were a single structure before 1845, when Thomas Morley bought the southern portion of that house, separated and rotated it 90° to present a gable end to the street, and finished it for his dwelling. Thomas Morley was an artist and taught painting in his school on Summer St., which stood behind the present 47 North Main. 27 East Street, the Widow Elizabeth Caldwell house (1740-1755) - Joseph Wait sold this lot to Elizabeth Caldwell, widow of Thomas, in 1829. She moved a house from another site onto her property. The rear two story wing is believed to be the older house, joined together when the house was moved. Structural evidence suggest a construction dates of about 1740 to 1775 for the two sections. 30 Summer Street, the Smith-Barton house (moved 1880) - The house at 30-32 Summer Street may have been the High Street home of Daniel Smith, and was moved to the current location in the 1880’s by John Conley. The house was occupied by Civil War Veteran John Barton. 437 Linebrook Road, the Allen Perley farm (1784) - Part of this structure is an older home that was moved from Rowley to this location by John Perley. He and his son Silas expanded it in either direction. Over the years, a large area of land along Linebrook Road came into the possession of the Perley family. 33 East St., the Old Store (1830) - The house at 33 East St. was built in approximately 1830 near the corner of East and County Streets for use as a store by James Quimby, and was moved to this location in 1850 by Joseph Wait. 30 South Main Street, the Old Town Hall (1833) - The Unitarians built their church here in 1833 but sold it to the town ten years later to be used as town hall. The lower section was constructed at the corner, the old Unitarian Church was moved on top. 8 Kimball Ave, the W. B. Richards house (b 1910) - This house originally was at Lords Square, owned by W. B. Richards. In 1940 the home was moved over the High Street bridge to 8 Kimball Avenue where it still stands today, and Mutual built a new service station which now houses Tick's Auto Service. 17 County Street, Daniels Shoe Factory (1843) - This house was built in 1843 near the EBSCO dam as Hoyt’s Veneer Mill. It was moved in 1859 to its present location where it became the Perkins & Daniels Stocking Factory. Farley & Daniels succeeded in 1884. 36 Candlewood Road, the Martin Keith house (1807, moved 1995) - The Martin Keith House (1807) is a fine Federal era specimen that stood for two centuries in Middleborough MA. by 1990 it was barely salvageable with rotted sills and interior damage. In 1995 buyers from Ipswich agreed to have it restored on their property. 16 Elm Street, the Baker – Tozer house (1835) - Samuel S. Baker, active in real estate, bought the lot at 16 Elm Street and built this house in 1835. He sold it to shoemaker William S. Tozer (1804-1860) in 1841. The house is said to be three combined structures, one having been moved from a different location. 20 Market Street, the Stacey-Ross house (1734) - In 1733 John Stacey "being incapable of labor " petitioned the town that he may build a house beside the rocky ledge on the lower North Green "for selling cakes and ale for his livelihood." The house was moved to this location 100 years after its construction. 22 Mineral Street, the Warner-Harris House (c. 1696, alt. 1835) - The earliest sections of this house were built by Daniel Warner in 1696 on Market Street. In 1835, Ephraim Harris, builder, was commissioned by Capt. Robert Kimball to build a new house on the lot. Harris removed a portion of the Warner house to his own land at the corner of Central and Mineral Streets, and enlarged it. 1 Lords Square, Payne School (1802) - In 1802, the North District decided to construct a schoolhouse with public subscription. In 1891 it was moved from its previous location where the laundromat is now, and received extensive repairs. Payne School was last used for students in 1942, and since 1972 has served as the Ipswich School superintendent's office. 4 Water Street, the Jewett house (1849) - This house was built in 1849, framed with lumber taken from the 1747 Meeting House of the First Church when it was torn down, prior to the building of the Gothic church that stood on that location for a century. 48 Turkey Shore Road, the Nathaniel Hodgkins house (1720) - The house at 48 Turkey Shore Road is believed to have been built by Nathaniel Hodgkins in 1720 on land formerly owned by Daniel Hovey. The gambrel roof indicates early Georgian era construction, and the rear ell was almost certainly constructed at the same time as an attached living area or kitchen, connecting to a utilitarian building. A second floor was added to the ell in the 19th Century. 1 South Green, the Captain John Whipple House (1677) - The oldest part of the house dates to 1677 when Captain John Whipple constructed a townhouse near the center of Ipswich. The Historical Commission moved it over the Choate bridge to its current location and restored to its original appearance.
83 Central Street, the International House (1866) - In 1866 the International House was built by the Eastern Railroad beside the Ipswich Depot. It was moved in 1882 to make room for a new depot. It continued to be operated as a hotel, and In the 1970's and 80's was known as the House of Hinlin. 35 East Street, the Luther Wait house (1810) - In 1872 Luther Wait removed the County jailor's house to this location. Wait served on several town boards including the school committee and as town assessor, and served two terms as postmaster. 85 County Road, the John Wade house (1810) - The John Wade house was built at the far end of South Green in 1810, but was moved further down County Road in 1948 to make room for the South Green Burial Ground expansion. This house bears remarkable similarity to the homes of housewrights Asa Wade and Samuel Wade, both still standing in their original locations on County Rd. facing the South Green. 12 Warren Street, the Louisa Wells house (c1700) - The Ipswich town assessors site indicates that this small house was constructed in 1700. The building was moved a short distance from Loney's Lane to face Warren St. at the beginning of the 20th Century, 5-7 Poplar Street, the Dr. John Calef house (1671) - This house was built on South Main St. between 1671 and 1688 by Deacon Thomas Knowlton. In the mid-18th Century the house was owned by Dr. John Calef, a Loyalist. John Heard moved the house to its present location in order to build his elaborate Federalist home which now houses the Ipswich Museum. 86 County Road, the Burnham – Brown house (1775) - This house was built in 1775 on a lot on Candlewood Rd., probably by Thomas Burnham. In 1821 Nathan Brown bought the house from Oliver Appleton, and 3 years later he removed it to its present site on County Rd. Brown and others enlarged and remodeled the old Burnham House, but some 18th century features remain. 53 Argilla Road, the Samuel Kinsman house (1750-77) - Samuel Kinsman received this property in a bequest from his father Capt. John Kinsman, who married Hannah Burnham in 1733. The house is generally dated circa 1750 with a 1777 wing from an existing structure that was moved. 51 Linebrook Road, the Hart House (1678) - The oldest parts of the Hart House were apparently constructed in 1678-80 by Samuel Hart, the son of Thomas Hart, an Irish tanner who arrived in Ipswich in 1637. The two oldest rooms are exact duplicates of the originals, which were moved to museums in the early 20th Century. 83 County Road, the Rogers-Brown-Rust House (1665-1723) - The house at 83 County Road is believed to be three houses joined together, at least one from the First Period. In 1836 the house and lot were conveyed to the South Parish as a church site. Asa Brown bought the house and removed it to its present location.
Ipswich houses that were moved - Ipswich has over 40 houses or other buildings that were moved, or have sections that were moved from a different location. Many other small outbuildings in town were also moved decades ago and are still standing.