The Burke Heel Factory and Canney Lumber Fire, June 19, 1933
The Burke & Son heel factory at Brown Square burned on June 19, 1933. In the adjoining lot was the Canney Lumber Co., where most of the building and the lumber was destroyed. Shown below are photos of the aftermath of the fire, shared by Bill Varrell in Ipswich: Images of America.
In this early 20th Century photo of a parade passing through Brown Square, the Burke Heel Shoe Factory is in the background, right, with Canney Lumber in front of it. The grain mill is still in use as lumber storage at Tedford’s Lumber.
The building on the right survived and is now the Ipswich Ale Brewery
Buildings nearby in Brown Square were scorched by the fire, but are still standing.
The Canney Lumber company next to Burke Heel Factory was completely destroyed. The Canney Lumber Company originally was located at the County Street bridge and manufactured wooden boxes. They operated a sawmill at the Brown Square location. You can see the old grain elevator now standing at Tedford’s, which bought the property after the fire. The grain elevator had originally been on the river close to the wharf, but was moved to this location.
A view from Washington Street, across the tracks, from the Canney Lumber Company and the Burke Heel Factory after the fire in 1933.