The Strand Opera House was built in 1909 at 37 Market Street in Ipswich, and hosted operas, plays, travelling shows and even the Boston Symphony. It was quite a big deal to have such a grand venue in town.
In 1930 the Strand burned, then reopened as a movie theater featuring first run films. It was owned by Phil Smith and Theatrical Enterprises, catering to local customers and “an upscale clientele who sometimes arrived in limousines. “
In November, 1985 the Strand Theater was demolished. In it’s place was constructed the First National Bank of Ipswich.
Posters below courtesy of Eric Josephson: