“Why and when the name was given is largely a matter of conjecture. Pastor Higginson of Salem wrote to friends in England of the primitive way in which the earliest settlers often lighted their houses by burning thin strips of the pitch pine trees. The suggestion is natural that this fine farming country was originally covered with a pine forest and that it was of so clear grain and so rich in pitch that it furnished the light for many homes.
The more prosaic name “The South Eighth” prevailed years ago. Strictly speaking, the ancient neighborhood to which the name was originally applied centered about the corner where the Essex road and the Candlewood road divide, but for convenience sake, its bounds will be stretched and it will be taken as including the whole region east of the Old Bay road and south of the road to Argilla.”
On the east side of the Bay Road, the great tract of pasture, tillage land, meadow and swamp, bounded by the Bay Road, Essex Road, the Candlewood Road, Fellows Lane and Lakeman’s Lane was a part of the Common land of the Town, and when the great area of Common lands was divided into Eighths in 1709, it became part of the division known as the South Eighth and was known as the Inner Common of the South Eighth. About 1720, the proprietors of the Inner Common apportioned individual shares, division lines were run and individual titles were then established.
*From Candlewood, an Ancient Neighborhood in Ipswich, Massachusetts, written by Thomas Franklin Waters, with genealogies of John Brown, William Fellows, and Robert Kinsman)
- The Descendants of Robert Kinsman of Ipswich, Massachusetts
- William Israel Fellows
- Fellows Families of Onondoga County NY and their Ancestors” written by Erwin Fellows
- Genealogical Record of the Dscendants of Robert Kinsman of Ipswich Massachusetts
- Robert Kinsman
- A Genealogy of the Descendants of John Brown of Ipswich