Homes of the Manning family of Ipswich

swich settlers by the name of Manning were John, who arrived in 1634 and Thomas, who came two years later. A small house lot on the south side of East Street, bounded by Agawam Avenue and the River, was granted to John Manning, containing three rods, on the corner. John Manning probably died soon after acquiring the lot, leaving a widow, Susan. Thomas Manning had two sons, John and Thomas, who were employed as swineherds, and famously played a prank on poor Mark Quilter, wreaking havoc on his small house by dropping a calf down the chimney. Thomas Franklin Waters recorded that Thomas Manning sold a lot near Meeting House Green in 1653. His son was slain at Deerfield at the beginning of King Philips War in 1675.

Newmarch Street in Ipswich MA was once known as Manning's Neck
Manning’s Neck – The first settlers of Ipswich were given rights to use of the Common land. Unfenced tillage lots beyond the residential area were assigned in areas set apart for this use, including the area of Newmarch Street which was known as Manning’s Neck.

It appears that no descendants of these first two Mannings in Ipswich are represented in the town’s subsequent Manning genealogy. In the second half of the 17th Century, descendants of Richard Manning of England settled in Salem and Ipswich. The Ipswich High School that stood on Central Street bore the family name, and Manning Street still does.

1st generation, Dartmouth County Devon, England

RICHARD MANNING, the ancestor of the American family which early settled at Salem and Ipswich, Mass., was born in 1622, in St. Patrick’s (or Petrox) Parish, Dartmouth, County Devon, England. He married and reared a family there, all of whom, with probably one exception, came to Massachusetts. Richard Manning’s eldest son Nicholas was the first of that family to come to this country, he having located at Salem, Mass., as early as 1662. He was followed in 1679 by his widowed mother, brothers Jacob and Thomas, and his sisters. The three brothers are the ancestors of the present Salem-Ipswich Manning family.

2nd generation (Ipswich)

THOMAS MANNING, the youngest of the brothers, soon left Salem for Ipswich, where his descendants are represented in the male line. The three brothers were all gunsmiths by occupation. The blacksmith trade continued with the descendants of Thomas Manning, but many of his descendants were physicians. It would seem that Thomas Manning was prosperous. His land holdings were extensive, and, as he was called a “yeoman,” he gave attention to farming as well as to his blacksmith trade. He married Mary Giddings, who was born in 1669. She died 1738-9, Feb 24. Thomas Manning died in 1737, May 14, at Ipswich, aged 73. Their children were Thomas, who died young, Mary who died at about age 30, John and Joseph (twins), born March 16, 1703,

3rd generation (Ipswich)

RICHARD MANNING (Thomas, Richard) was born about 1700, at Ipswich, Mass, died in 1774. He always resided in his native town and was by trade a gunsmith. He was also a large landholder, a farmer and a prominent citizen.

JOHN MANNING (Thomas, Richard) was born 1703 at Ipswich, Mass. He resided in his native town, occupying and cultivating the farm he had received by will from his father. This farm was described, when his father purchased it in 1707, as ” lying on the southerly side of Mile Brook river.” This can be identified with the location of the 19th Century John and William Manning farms later in this post.

31 South Main Street, the Joseph Manning house (1727)
The Dr. Joseph Manning house, 31 S. Main St. (1727) In 1928, the house was moved to this location so that an automobile dealership could be constructed across from the Old Town Hall. Dr. Joseph Manning died in 1784 at the age of 80, and his tomb is at the Old North Burial Ground in Ipswich.

Dr. JOSEPH MANNING (Thomas, Richard) born March 16 1703, was the twin of John Manning. He graduated at Harvard College in 1725, the first of his name to enter that institution of learning, and, settling in Ipswich, was for more than 50 years a physician. Administration on Dr. Manning’s estate, he having left no will, was granted by the Court, 1784, June 7, to his son Dr. John Manning. His property holdings were divided into six parts, of which John Manning, as the older son, received two parts, and Jacob Manning, Anstice Cogswell, Priscilla Abbot and the heirs of Sarah McKean, deceased, received one part each.

4th Generation (Ipswich)

ELIZABETH MANNING (John, 3 Thomas, 2 Richard) was born 1734, Oct. 20, at Ipswich. She married there 1756, March 9, Thomas Day III. The location of their home is not known.

JOHN MANNING (John, Thomas, Richard) was baptised 1741, June 14, at Ipswich, Mass. He was a farmer in his native place. As a soldier he served in the French and Indian war and also marched on the Lexington alarm, 1775, Apr. 19, under Capt. Thomas Burnham.

The Dr. John Manning house
The Dr. John Manning house, 36 N. Main St. (1769) This house has one of the first preservation agreements in Ipswich, created by the Ipswich Heritage Trust. Dr. Manning was also an inventor and built an unsuccessful wind-driven woolen mill on the site of the present Caldwell Block next to the Choate Bridge.
Manning's windmill
Dr. Manning’s windmill: In 1792, Dr. John Manning erected a factory at the corner of South Main and Market Street beside the Choate Bridge and began manufacturing cloth and blankets. On the roof squatted a great octagonal tower, inside of which was a horizontal windmill where the Choate Bridge Pub is now.

Dr. JOHN MANNING (Joseph, Thomas, Richard) was baptized 1738, Nov. 12, at Ipswich, Mass. He studied medicine under his father’s direction, and then commenced practice, at the age of twenty, at Newmarket, N. H. After one year he returned to Ipswich, where he resided and practiced the remainder of his life. As there were no medical colleges or hospitals in America at that day, Dr. Manning, at the age of thirty-three, and after some twelve years of active practice, crossed the ocean to perfect his medical education in England. Returning to this country 1772, May 8, after a course of six months training in the hospitals and lecture rooms of London, his practice soon became extensive.

JACOB MANNING (Joseph, Thomas, Richard) baptized 1748, Aug. 7, at Ipswich, Mass. He was a farmer in Ipswich. He married 1776, Dec. 19, Hannah, daughter of Rev. Nehemiah and Rebecca (Chipman) Porter, born 1751, Dec. 26, at Ipswich.

5th Generation (Ipswich)

JOHN MANNING (John, John, Thomas, Richard ) born 1765, February 15, at Ipswich, Mass. He was a farmer in Ipswich. On his death Jeremiah Lord was appointed administrator. At a Court held the second Tuesday of December, 1844, it was ordered that all his personal estate should be sold at auction.

RICHARD MANNING (John, John, Thomas, Richard) baptized 1777, May 4, at Ipswich, Mass. He resided in his native town. He married (1st) Abigail, daughter of Zebulon Lane. She was baptized 1769, Jan. 1. The date of her death is not recorded. He married (2nd) 1821, Jan. 10, Judith Brown, of the Candlewood area. She died 1856, June 22, aged 71. Mr. Manning died 1821, May 22, at Ipswich.

19 North Main Street, Thomas Manning house (1799)
19 North Main Street, Thomas Manning house (1799)

Dr. THOMAS MANNING (John, Joseph, Thomas, Richard) born 1775, February 7, at Ipswich, Mass. He was a physician, and a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society. It is believed that he practiced for a short time in Marblehead, at the beginning of his career, but he soon located in Ipswich and remained a successful physician there to the time of his death. He was among the progressive members of his profession, and the first doctor who introduced inoculation for kine pox in his vicinity, his experiments being completely satisfactory. He was a justice of the peace, and, 1802, June 1, was commissioned surgeon of the 2d regt., 2d brigade and 2d division of the State militia. In advancing the business interests of the town he was energetic. By will he left a large sum of money to found the Manning School on Central St. He married 1807, May 24, Margaret Heard, born 1783, probably at Ipswich, and died 1829, Aug. 13. She was a daughter of Hon. John Heard.

Brown-Manning house, County Rd. Ipswich
The Brown-Manning house, 82 County Road: Judith Brown, born Oct. 25, 1782 married Richard Manning on Jan. 10, 1821. Richard Manning was the son of Dr. John and Lucy Manning, and died on May 22, 1821 only 4 months after their marriage at age 44. After the death of their parents, the widow Judith Manning and her single sister Mary Brown sold the Brown homestead on Candlewood Road and had this house built for them. She died June 21, 1856 at age 73.
The Jacob Manning house, 79 County Road Thomas Manning built a house just beyond the South Green by the brook. He bequeathed to his son Richard, whose son Jacob Manning sold a portion of the homestead to Dr. John Manning, Nov. 16, 1804. Jacob constructed this house by 1820, facing the road. In the 20th Century, the house was moved to the back of the lot, now facing the river.

RICHARD MANNING (John, Joseph, Thomas, Richard) born 1777, Jan. 9, at Ipswich, Mass. He was a surveyor, a school-teacher, a woolen manufacturer, and a sea captain. In 1801, Aug. 28, he was commissioned lieutenant in the 2nd regt., 2d brigade and 2d division of the State militia, and 1802, May 4, was commissioned captain in the same regiment. He married 1800, Oct. 14, Lydia Pearson, born 1779, July 19, at Ipswich; died there 1809, Sep. 12.

Michael Farley house, Ipswich MA
The Farley family home is in the middle of this photo of the corner of Market and Union Streets, taken in 1939 when the Post Office was being built on Market Street. Several generations of the Farley family made their homes on Market St., including General Michael Farley.

MARY MANNING (John, Joseph, Thomas, Richard) born 1781, Aug. 4, at Ipswich, Mass.; died there 1864, July 17; married 1813, Dec. 6, Capt. Michael, son of Jabez and Lucy (Rogers) Farley, born 1782, Oct. 5, at Ipswich, who died 1819, March 7, on board ship, in Africa. The Ipswich Female Anti-Slavery Society met at his mother Mrs. Jabez Farley’s house, and at the home of Lucy Caldwell at 16 Elm Street, the house which is now featured at the Smithsonian

Jacob Manning house
This house formerly at the corner of High and Manning St. was probably built by William Stewart in 1693. In 1818, the house was purchased by Jacob Manning II. It was once used as the town’s alms house. When it was razed in 1925, the timber frame was preserved and put on display at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts (MFA).
Ipswich Manning house at the MFA – The frame of a 1692 house that once stood at the intersection of Manning and High Streets in Ipswich is on display in the “Art of the Americas” wing at the Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts.
16 High Street, the Jacob Manning house (1818)
16 High Street, the Jacob Manning house (1818)

JACOB MANNING (Jacob, Joseph, Thomas, Richard) born 1783, July 30, at Ipswich, Mass. In early life he was a sea captain, sailing chiefly between Essex Co., Mass., and the South. He was afterwards a carpenter and resided in his native town.

The William Manning house, County Rd., Ipswich
The William Manning house, 175 County Road County Road, Ipswich (1820). The large house is on the campus of the First Presbyterian Church, which purchased it in 1988. In the 1930s, the rear of the building was extended and it became the Fairview Inn. From 1951 through the 1980s, it was operated a store known as “The Christmas Angel.”

WILLIAM MANNING (John, John, Thomas, Richard) born 1793, May 20, at Ipswich, Mass, the son of John and Mary Manning. He was a farmer in his native town. He married Mary Parsons, born 1784, February 29, at Ipswich, and died there 1860.

6th Generation (Ipswich)

 Fitts- Manning house Ipswich
The Fitts – Manning house, 43 High St. James Fitts constructed this house in 1767. Nathaniel Lord Manning (1808-1871), son of Jacob Manning and Anna Lord, bought the house in 1829. It is said that his cousin Nathaniel Hawthorne was a frequent visitor. The house was originally at the location of today’s 42 North Main Street and was moved to High St. the year Nathaniel Manning diedied

Nathaniel Lord Manning (Jacob, Jacob, Joseph, Thomas, Richard) son of Jacob Manning and Anna Lord, born 1808, Aug. 13. When a young man he went to Boston, where he was engaged as an upholsterer at various times up to 1851. Later, he returned to Ipswich, where he was a justice of the peace. He married intention 1843, Jan. 19, Mrs. Louisa Stockwell Smith. He had no children. Both died September 5, 1871 in Ipswich.

Newman house High St., Ipswich MA
The Samuel Newman house, 9 High St (1762), later became the home of Leighton Wilson Manning and his wife Caroline Stockwel. Their son, Civil War hero Joseph Stockwell Manning was born here.

LEIGHTON WILSON MANNING (Jacob, Jacob, Joseph, Thomas, Richard) born 1818, May 30, at Ipswich, Mass. He married 1843, June 8, Caroline A., daughter of Joseph and Amy (Locke) Stockwell, born 1822, Sep. 22. She died 1808,; Mr. Manning died 1881, June 17, both at Somerville. The son Joseph Stockwell Manning, born 1845, Apr. 13, at Ipswich. was a soldier in the Civil War, Co. K, 29th Mass. Infantry. He was awarded the medal of honor for “capturing the colors of a Georgia regiment in action at Fort Sanders” in 1863 during the siege at Knoxville.

Manning gravestones at the Old North Burying Ground


3 thoughts on “Homes of the Manning family of Ipswich”

  1. Great!

    On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 11:34 AM Historic Ipswich wrote:

    > Gordon Harris posted: ” The first Ipswich settlers by the name of Manning > were John, who arrived in 1634 and Thomas, who came two years later. A > small house lot on the south side of East Street, bounded by Agawam Avenue > and the River, was granted to John Manning, containing thr” >

  2. My great grandmother was Lydia Manning Averill, born in 1842. She married my great grandfather, Civil War veteran Charles Bamford. I’ve been researching Averills, it’s so neat to read about Manning’s. My father often referred to his Manning connections; unfortunately none of it stuck with me

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s