Homes of the Appletons
Appleton Farms was gifted to the Trustees of Reservations by Francis and Joan Appleton in 1998. Originally granted to Ipswich settler Samuel Appleton, it is the oldest continuously operating farm in America. The farm continued in family ownership for seven generations, and the extended family built homes along Waldingfield Rd. and the nearby vicinity.
(*Pictured above: the Appleton Farms “New House,” built by Francis and Fanny Appleton in 1891 and demolished 70 years later.)
219 County Rd., Samuel Appleton “Old House” (1794) - Appleton Farms is one of the oldest continuously operating farms in the country, gifted to the Trustees of Reservations by Francis and Joan Appleton. It was originally granted to Ipswich settler Samuel Appleton. The farm continued in family ownership for seven generations. The property consists of forests, fields, […] 55 Waldingfield Rd., “Waldingfield” (1916) - Daniel and Helen Appleton built the original Waldingfield mansion with the early Samuel Appleton homestead attached. The houses were were destroyed by fire in 1916. A new house was later built by his daughter, Julia, and her husband, Charles Bird. Trails on the Julia Bird Reservation are open to the public. 197 County Rd.,”Applegate” (1875) - “Applegate,” was owned by Ruth Appleton Tuckerman and her husband, Charles. Four houses were built along the north side of Waldingfield Road by grandchildren of Gen. James Appleton. 65 Waldingfield Road, Sunswick (1890) - In 1882, Bayard Tuckerman married Annie Osgood Smith, daughter of Rev. Cotton Smith and Hariette Appleton, daughter of General James Appleton. A lot on Waldingfield Rd. near Highland Street that had once belonging to Daniel Fuller Appleton was purchased in 1890 by Tuckerman. He built his summer house on a slight rise and named it ““Sunswick." 24 Topsfield Road, the Moses Kimball house (1688) - The land on which the Moses Kimball house was built, is part of a larger grant to early settler Samuel Appleton. His son John Appleton sold a five and 3/4 acre lot on the south side of Topsfield Road to Moses Kimball, a taylor, who built some portion of this house in 1688. 6 South Main Street, the Shoreborne Wilson – Samuel Appleton house (1685, greatly altered) - This house was built by joiner Sherborne Wilson,. The house was purchased in 1702 by Col. Samuel Appleton, the eldest son of Major Samuel Appleton. At the time it was still a two-room central chimney structure, and it is believed that Appleton expanded the building on the southeast side. The house is listed in the National Historic Register of Historic Places. 2 North Main Street, the John Appleton house (1707) - In 1962 the Appleton House was purchased by Exxon, which intended to build a gas station on the site. The Ipswich Heritage Trust was formed to save the house, the first major preservation action in Ipswich.