Deacon Maximilian Jewett was born in Bradford, West Riding of Yorkshire, England, baptized Oct. 4th, 1607. He with his wife Ann, and his brother Joseph sailed from Hull, England in 1638 in the ship John, with a colony under the leadership of Rev. Ezekiel Rogers. They arrived at Boston about the first of December, 1638, spent the winter in Salem, and in the spring of 1639 founded the town of Rowley, Mass.
Jeremiah Jewett, son of Joseph, was brought to this country by his father in 1638. He married in Rowley, Mass., May 1, 1661, Sarah Dickinson, daughter of Thomas and Janet Dickinson. She was bom in Rowley Oct. 16, 1664, and died Jan. 30, 1723-4.” They made their home in Ipswich near the Rowley line. He was one of the soldiers from Ipswich in King Philip’s War, and died here on May 20, 1714. Generations of the Jewett family made their homes on upper High Street, and the area near the Rowley town line came to be known as Ipswich Village. Read more at History and genealogy of the Jewetts of America.
Ipswich Village (Upper High St.)-This Ipswich neighborhood has historically had a close social connection with neighboring Rowley. Jewett's mill was created in the 17th Century, and historic houses still line the street.
315 High Street, the Apphia Jewett house (1834)-The land in the vicinity of 315 High Street was owned by the Jewett family since it was purchased by Captain Moses Jewett in the third quarter of the 18th century. Olive Jewett married Captain George W. Howe of Rowley on November 26, 1835 and Captain Howe built upon the lot.
93 High Street, the John Cole Jewett house (1813)-John Cole Jewett bought the High Street estate of Josiah Martin by 1767, when he was mentioned in a deed of an abutter. Jewett's heirs sold the property in 1813 to David Lord. Stylistic evidence indicates that the present house was built shortly before the 1813 transfer.
87 High Street, the Sewall Jewett house (1830)-The heirs of John Lord sold the lot at 87 High St. to Sewall P. Jewett in 1830, which is the year in which the house is believed to have been built. At one time, this side of High Street was lined with homes owned by members of the Jewett Family.
307 High Street, the Moses Jewett house (1759)-Moses Jewett married Elizabeth Bugg of Rowley. He was Captain of a Troop of Horse in Col. John Baker’s Regiment, which marched on the Lexington alarm, April 19, 1775 and also marched to Gloucester on November 29th of the same year.
285 High Street, the Daniel Nourse house (1809)-Daniel Nourse, a farmer, bought the property in 1790 and built the present house in 1809. This was the home of John W. Nourse, farmer, civil engineer, and local historian who uncovered hundreds of Native American artifacts in his fields. The Nourse family cemetery is located nearby. A milestone from the Old Bay Road is in the basement wall. This is one of the finest Federal-era houses in Ipswich Village and has fallen into decay through neglect.
The following images, and text were provided by the Rowley Historical Society in 1977, with much of text written by Ruth S. Gardner, and is available online through the Massachusetts Historical Commission site (MACRIS).