The common ancestors of the great majority of Kimballs in this country are Richard Kimball Sr. of the parish of Rattlesden, county of Suffolk, England who with his wife Ursula Scott and eight children embarked from Ipswich, Suffolk England, April 10, 1634, in the ship Elizabeth. They arrived in Boston and first settled in Watertown, Mass. He was proclaimed freeman in 1635, and they removed to Ipswich, where he worked as a wheelwright. The town granted him a house lot, Feb. 23, 1637, adjoining Goodman Simons at the west end of the town, on what is now High Street. The plaque above is located at St Nicholas Churchyard Rattlesden, Suffolk, England.
In 1641 Richard Kimball is listed among the Commoners of Ipswich, and was appointed one of the seven men (selectmen) March 1, 1645. After Ursula died in 1659, Kimball married second, Oct. 23, 1661, Margaret Dow, widow of Henry Dow of Hampton, NH. They died within a few months of each other in 1675.
Richard and Ursula had a total of eleven children, eight born in Rattlesden Parish, Suffolk county, England, one in Watertown and two at Ipswich:
There are many houses in Ipswich that were built by or occupied by the early descendants of Richard and Ursulla Scott Kimball.
83 High Street, the Isaac Lord house, 1696 – 1806-This house was in the Lord family for several generations. The right side is probably First Period. Boards and timbers from the 1771 Jail on Meeting House Green were used when the house was enlarged in 1806.
77 High Street, the John Kimball house (1680)-Richard Kimball owned this lot in 1637. The property passed to John Kimball, and the present house dates from the time of his ownership. It belonged to the Lord family through the 19th century.
24 Topsfield Road, the Moses Kimball house (1688)-The land on which the Moses Kimball house was built, is part of a larger grant to early settler Samuel Appleton. His son John Appleton sold a five and 3/4 acre lot on the south side of Topsfield Road to Moses Kimball, a taylor, who built some portion of this house in 1688.
2 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Merrill-Kimball house (1839)-Abigail Holland sold Ezra Merrill, a mariner, 3/4 of an acre in 1839 and he built the present house shortly thereafter. The house was conveyed to his daughter, Kate M. Kimball, upon his death in 1901 An interesting feature in this house is the presence of an oven on the second floor, suggesting that it may have been a 2-family house.
18 North Main Street, the Charles Kimball house (1834)-Charles Kimball attained honor as a colonel of the militia, a distinguished probate lawyer, and deacon of the Church. He was one of the original trustees of the Ipswich Female Seminary. The house shares a subdued Greek Revival style with the Stephen Coburn house next door. It is remembered as the home of the Manning School master.
110 High Street, the John Kimball Jr. house (1730)-John Kimball Sr. acquired this land in 1708. Kimball's son, John Jr. built the house and a barn. The eastern half is older, and its timbers were originally exposed. The driveway is the original High Street before the bridge was constructed in 1906.
106 High St. the Caleb Kimball house (1715)- Caleb Kimball (1) was born in 1639 in Ipswich, the son of Richard Kimball and Ursula Scott. The owner has maintained the left inside as a First Period home, with exposed beams and a large fireplace. The right inside was updated with Georgian features, plaster ceilings and a Rumford fireplace.
104 High Street, the John Kimball house (1715)-This is is one of three John Kimball houses along High Street, two said to have been built by the father, the third by the son. The 1st period house has a chamfered summer beam and wide plank tongue and groove sheathing. This house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission.
Lucy Kimball-Born in the Hart House, Miss Kimball was a graduate of the Manning High School, class of 1894. She died in 1980 at the age of 105, after teaching first grade for 45 years.