John Baker owned, by grant, a large lot on the north side of East St. between North Main and County St. To his son Thomas, he conveyed the house where he lived and the remainder of his land, June 14, 1698 (35: 44). John Baker the settler was apparently a man of property, his name being one of the 44 highest subscriptions to the compensation of Major General Daniel Denison, the military leader.
John Baker’s sons included Thomas, born Sept. 13, 1636, who settled in Topsfield, and married Priscilla, daughter of the Honorable Deputy Governor Samuel Symonds, Nov. 26, 1672, and died March 18, 1718. In 1661 John Baker of Ipswich conveyed to his son Thomas a 150-acre farm and buildings there, “bounded on Baker’s (now Hood’s) pond” upon condition of the payment of ten pounds yearly to him and his wife during their lives, and also to his daughter Elizabeth.
Thomas Baker’s farmhouse was located at the end of a long lane off Ipswich Rd. in Topsfield abutting Pye Brook and the Mill Pond. The first Thomas Baker (1636-1717) in Topsfield was by occupation a farmer. His appears to have also been at some point in charge of the Saugus Iron works through family connections with the Appletons. His son, Thomas Baker (1687-1725) was listed as a husbandman (farmer) and married Mary Capen in 1709, daughter of Parson Capen whose house is owned by the Topsfield Historical Society. The wealthy Baker and Gould families joined forces when Sarah Baker married Capt. John Gould in 1660. As the only son of Zaccheus Gould, John inherited the large Topsfield (and now Boxford) landholdings. They had 5 sons.
In the 18th Century, the western portion of the original Argilla farm came into the possession of Col. John Baker, who died Aug. 1, 1734, aged forty-four, and left the farm to his son John, who was Town Clerk for many years, a member of the Committee of Correspondence and Inspection during the Revolution, Colonel of a regiment, feoffee of the Grammar School, and Justice of the Sessions Court. His house on the South Green still stands.
37 South Main Street, Baker’s Store (b. 1828)- The former Baker's Clothing Store at 37 South Main Street was built in 1828. Properties along the river side of South Main St. were granted in the late 17th Century to establish businesses along the corridor where people entered the Ipswich.
37 High Street, Lord – Baker House (1720)-The house is believed to have been built by Robert Lord III in 1720. The property continued in the Lord family until 1775, when Samuel Baker, felt-maker and hatter, purchased it. This early 2nd period house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission.
37 East Street, the Stephen Baker house (1834)-The small two story three bay colonial at 37 East Street was built in 1834 by Stephen Baker Jr. as a storehouse for his grocery. The lot was also used a lumber yard and Baker opened a way to the river, constructing a wharf at the end of the lane.
3 Mineral Street, the Charles H. Baker house (c 1870)-The house at 3 Mineral Street was constructed between publications of the 1856 and 1872 Ipswich maps. The earliest owner to be identified is Charles H. Baker who owned the house by 1884. Baker is listed is town directories as a "flagman", possibly for the local branch of the Boston & Maine Railroad.
18 East Street, the Baker-Dodge house (1727)-This house was built by John Baker III, and was purchased by Mary Dennis Dodge in 1818. The house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the town of Ipswich.
16 Elm Street, the Baker – Tozer house (1835)-Samuel S. Baker, active in real estate, bought the lot at 16 Elm Street and built this house in 1835. He sold it to shoemaker William S. Tozer (1804-1860) in 1841. The house is said to be three combined structures, one having been moved from a different location.
14 East Street, the Baker – Newman house (1725)-John Baker obtained a section of the land extending down East Street to Spring Street, originally granted to Rev. Cobbet. John Baker Jr. sold eight acres with buildings including land on the hillside to Nathaniel Jones Jr. in 1742. Jones sold the house and lot to George Newman Jr., a weaver.
115 High Street, the Baker – Sutton house (1725)-The widow of cowherd Haniel Bosworth sold this lot with a dwelling in 1702 to William Baker, who built this fine early Georgian house. The pilastered chimney and elaborate Connecticut Valley door frame were added in the 20th Century.
110 Central Street, the Samuel Baker house (before 1884)-Three identical houses with mansard roofs appear in the 1893 Ipswich Birdseye map and are still standing. The 1884 Ipswich map shows this house owned by “S. H. Baker” and the one next door owned by “G. H. Baker.” Samuel Baker and other parties conveyed “a certain parcel […]
11 South Village Green, the Gables (1838), David Baker-This house was designed by mathematician David Baker as an upscale lodging for lawyers in town for the Ipswich court. He was unable to repay the money he borrowed from Augustine Heard, who took possession. In the 1920's Nellie Huckins purchased the house and ran the Gables Tea Room.
108 Central Street, the George W. Baker house (1872)-108 Central Street is one of three identical houses along this stretch of Central Street. George W. Baker, who served in the Civil War from February, 1962 until August, 1865 occupied the house after its construction.
107 Argilla Road, Argilla Farm (c. 1805)-In 1637, John Winthrop Jr. conveyed his farm to Samuel Symonds, who became Deputy-Governor of the Colony. It came into possession of Thomas Baker, who married one of Symonds' daughters. Allen Baker built the hip-roofed farm house in 1785. It was purchased by Ephraim Brown and inherited by his son Thomas.