A set of five maps portraying the locations of the early land grants in Ipswich was prepared by John W. Nourse, published in 1905 in the book Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony by Thomas Franklin Waters. The first lots were granted in 1633-34. As the Puritans in Massachusetts expanded their settlements, it was their policy not to admit persons to whom the town had not allocated land. It soon became the practice to admit them if they had the means to purchase land from the present inhabitants, provided that the Selectmen of the Town agreed.
Homes of the Wades - Jonathan Wade arrived in Ipswich in 1635 with the first wave of Puritan settlers, and came into ownership of land across from the South Green. In the 19th Century, the Wade family of housewrights built several homes on County Rd., and throughout the town.… Continue reading Homes of the Wades Homes of the Lords - Robert Lord, his wife Mary Waite and their four children arrived with the first settlers of Ipswich in 1634, where he was appointed town clerk. Almost every house on High Street has been lived in by a member of the Lord family. … Continue reading Homes of the Lords Homes of the Appletons - Appleton Farms was gifted to the Trustees of Reservations by Francis and Joan Appleton in 1998. Originally granted to Ipswich settler Samuel Appleton, it is the oldest continuously operating farm in America. The farm continued in family ownership for seven generations, and the extended family built homes along Waldingfield Rd. and the nearby vicinity. … Continue reading Homes of the Appletons
Early lot grants to the settlers of Ipswich