Descendants of John and Judith Gator Perkins of Ipswich
William Perkins was one of the twelve men who came with John Winthrop, the younger, and commenced the settlement of Ipswich in 1633. He was later in Gloucester, where he preached, and in Topsfield in 1655. Isaac Perkins was an inhabitant of Ipswich, and died before 1639.
John Perkins, who identified himself as “the Elder,” and his wife Judith Gator were the immigrant ancestors of the Ipswich Perkins family from the mother country. They and their children sailed from Bristol, England, December 1, 1630 on the ship Lyon bound for Boston. He was granted land on Manning’s Neck (Newmarch St.) in 1634.
The children of John Perkins and his wife Judith Gator included John (who identified himself as “Quartermaster”), Abraham, Jacob, Thomas, Elizabeth Sargent, Anna Bradbury, and Lydia Bennett. As adults, the second generation expanded the family to other parts of Essex County, including Chebacco Parish (now Essex) and New Meadows (now Topsfield.)
Jacob Perkins was born in Ipswich in 1643, the son of Quartermaster John Perkins, grandson of John Perkins Sr., an early settler of Ipswich. He married his East St. neighbor Sarah Wainwright in 1667, who died February 3, 1688. He married a year later, Sarah Kinsman, daughter of Robert and Mary Kinsman, born March 19, 1659. He was known as “Corporal Jacob Perkins.” His father gave him the use of a farm of one hundred acres in Chebacco Parish (reserving to himself the right to dispose of it at his death), this being half of a farm which his father bought of William Whitred, carpenter, Aug. 8, 1661. The farm was on Apple Street near the falls of the Chebacco River in Chebacco Parish, which is now the town of Essex. Nearby was Jacob’s older brother Abraham, who received rights to the other 100 acres of his father’s farm. This branch of the family is associated with Chebacco Parish, now the town of Essex.
Sources and further reading:
Perkins gravestones at the Old North Burying Ground
Homes of the Perkins
80 East Street, the Perkins – Hodgkins House (c 1700) - The Perkins-Hodgkins house is believed to have been built in 1700 on the foundation of the earlier Jacob Perkins home. The house has been greatly expanded over the years, but the original asymmetrical structure continues to anchor the corner with Jeffreys Neck Road. 8 East Street, the Captain Matthew Perkins house (1701) - Winner of the 1991 Mary Conley Award, this well-preserved 1st Period house sits on a former orchard lot that was sold in 1701 by Major Francis Wainwright to Matthew Perkins, a weaver and soldier. In 1719 Perkins opened an inn and tavern in this house, "at the sign of the blue anchor." 37 High Street, Lord – Baker House (1720) - The house is believed to have been built by Robert Lord III in 1720. The property continued in the Lord family until 1775, when Samuel Baker, felt-maker and hatter, purchased it. This early 2nd period house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission. 3 East Street, the James W. Perkins house and Provisions (1860) - This house was built between 1856 and 1872. Samuel Hunt purchased the ancient Day-Dodge house at the corner of North Main and East Streets on Feb. 14, 1849 with three lots adjoining. The 1856 Ipswich map shows Burroughs Machine Shop at this location. The 1896 Ipswich Business Directory lists J.W. Perkins, Provisions and Meat Market at this location on East Street. 29 North Main Street, the Odd Fellows Building (1817) - In 1817 the Probate Court and Registry erected this building for its own use. In the year 1852, the Registry and its records were removed to Salem. By 1884 a second floor had been added, and it housed the Odd Fellows upstairs, with Blake's Drug Store downstairs. 2 Green Street, the John Perkins house (1860) - This corner was originally part of a larger lot owned by General Denison. Captain Treadwell and Nathaniel Lord Jr. were later owners, and then Mr. John Perkins, who built this house. 14 Candlewood Road, the Joseph Brown and Elizabeth Perkins house (1779) - Elizabeth Brown, descendant of the early Candlewood settler John Brown, was the wife of Captain Perkins, and gained possession of this lot. In December, 1779, their daughter, Elizabeth, became the wife of Joseph Brown, of the same family line, who built this house. 12 Green Street, the Andrew Burley house (1688) - Andrew Burley bought this lot in 1683 and built a house shortly thereafter. He became a wealthy merchant and updated the house with fine Georgian features. Burley was a justice of the Sessions Court and was elected representative to the General Court in 1741. Capt. John Smith purchased the house in 1760 from the estate of Andrew Burley’s widow Hannah and operated it as Smith's Tavern.
The Letters of Joseph Hodgkins and Sarah Perkins - Throughout the Revolutionary War, Joseph Hodgkins sent letters home from the battlefronts to his wife, Sarah Perkins Hodgkins, detailing the desperate troop conditions and longing for home. The letters were preserved and can be read online. Rowdy Nights at Quartermaster Perkins’ Tavern - The Quartermaster's house became the scene more than once of violent disorder. The company's behavior was so scandalous that the whole lot were summoned to Ipswich Court on May 1, 1672. Mary Perkins Bradbury, charged as a witch - Mary Perkins was born in 1615, the daughter of Sergeant John Perkins, Sr. and Judith Perkins. She became the wife of Capt. Thomas Bradbury of Salisbury, and was sentenced to death as witch in 1692, but was not executed. Over a hundred neighbors testified in her support. Manning’s Neck - The first settlers of Ipswich were given rights to use of the Common land. Unfenced tillage lots beyond the residential area were assigned in areas set apart for this use, including the area of Newmarch Street which was known as Manning's Neck. “Mill End” Ipswich - "Millend" was the west side of the settlement, including today's Topsfield Rd. and Washington St. Home of Samuel Appleton and John Whipple, it was separated from the east side by a wetland. In1717, Capt. Beamsley Perkins was taken to court for blocking their path to the Meeting House.