Mary P. Conley award-Every year since 1992, the IHC has presented the Mary P. Conley Preservation Award, named in honor of Mary for her endless dedication to preserving historical sites. The award may be given to the owners of an Ipswich property which is deemed noteworthy for a recent restoration or general improvement, or to an individual for outstanding service.
Thomas Franklin Waters recorded the early history of the land and house in Volume 1 of Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The left side of the William Howard house on Turkey Shore Road across from the intersection with Green Street was built about 1680 by William Howard. The right side was added in 1709. William Howard was born about 1634 and died at age 75 in Ipswich. He was granted “liberty to fall trees” in 1670. His gravestone reads: “Here Lyes ye Body of William Houeard who died July ye 25th, 1709 in ye 74 year of his age.”
Arthur Wesley Dow was born in Ipswich in On April 6, 1857. After studying art in Worcester and Boston, he enrolled at the Academie Julian in Paris. From 1891 to 1906 he and his wife Minnie Pearson ran the Ipswich Summer School of Art from his home (the 1680 Emerson-Howard house) on Turkey Shore Road. He is said to have saved the house from destruction.
Preservation of the William Howard House
by Tess Schutte
Highly regarded mason, Richard Irons, repaired the chimney from the attic floor to its top. Phillip C. Marshall, professor and Director of Historic Preservation Program, Roger Williams University in Rhode Island collected and documented paint samples and analyzed the layers of paint in each room. Based upon his findings we selected paint colors for the wood trim and paneling. Phillip collected clay samples, cooked them, and identified a range of red stains that would be appropriate for the exterior windows sashes. Over time, we upgraded plumbing, heating, and electrical service.
41 Turkey Shore Road, the William Howard House (c.1680/ 1709)-William Howard, hatter, bought this lot in 1679 from Daniel Ringe. Architectural evidence suggests that Howard removed the 1638 home of Thomas Emerson and built the left side of the present house about 1680. The right side was added in 1709. From 1891 to 1906 Arthur Wesley Dow and his wife ran the Ipswich Summer School of Art here.