Market Street

Photos of Market St. from the present day back to the early days of photography, starting at Depot Square

Until the mid-19th Century, most of the area we now call downtown was an undeveloped wetland with Farleys Brook crossing Market St.
The arrival of the railroad in the 1840s led to the development of today’s downtown. This is the Ipswich Depot in the 1950s.
The original Ipswich Depot was replaced by this fine building.
The Depot was razed, and this building took its place.
The Institution for Savings is at the location of the old Depot today
Watching the Ipswich Mill Strike in 1913. The Bancroft house is on the right, later known as the Greek Hotel. On the left you can see the Whgipple House at its original location.
The Christian Wainwright house sat at the intersection of Market and Saltonstall Streets
The Bancroft house was demolished, and the Strand Diner moved in, one of several diners at that location
The Strand diner was followed by the first Agawam Diner
Agawam Diner when it was in Ipswich
Next came the Agawam Diner, which today sits at the intersections of Rts. 1 and 133 in Rowley.
The locations of the Christian Wainwright and Whipple Houses are EBSCO parking lots today
The Damon Building was at the corner of Market St. and Depot Square
Looking up Market St. about 1910.
The Damon Building burned in the 1940s and again in the 1980s
Corner of Market St and Depot Square, Ipswich MA
The building at the corner of Depot Square today
The Bailey house is still standing.
The Bailey house today
post-off-ce-1939-union-st-view
View of the intersection of Market and Union Streets as the Post Office was being built in 1939.
The small building behind the buildings that burned, and the last building on the right were replaced by the Daisy Lane laundromat which later was torn down to create a parking lot for EBSCO.
Woolworth’s moved across Market Street to the location of the burned out hair dresser. That building in turn was demolished and a modern building took its place. Behind Woolworth’s was the Daisy Lane Cleaners, now just an EBSCO parking lot.
The service station at the corner of Market and Union Streets was converted into the Richdales store.
The Daisy Lane laundromat was located in the present EBSCO parking lot behind Market Street, and was once the office of the Ipswich Chronicle.
Corner of Market and Union Streets. Photo from the 1800’s
1956 fire at the corner of Market and Union Streets
1956 fire at the corner of Market and Union Streets
market_street_DSC7906
Southeast side of Market Street, looking toward Marketplace Square. Photo by David Stone
The J. W. Goodhue store still stands.
The J. W. Goodhue store still stands.
A closeup from the Damon Building photo shows the two small houses above.
A closeup from the Damon Building photo shows the two small houses above.
The Strand Opera House, later the Strand Theater
The Strand Theater
The Strand Theater
market_st_1909
The Jabez Farley house on the right was replaced by the Post Office
Another view of the little store on Market St.
Another view of the little store on Market St.
This little store was demolished when the First National Bank of Ipswich was constructed.
This little store was demolished when the First National Bank of Ipswich was constructed.
This building sat at the location of the Post Office.
These two buildings sat next to the little house above, at or near the location of the Post Office.
The Ipswich Post Office was constructed during the Depression by the Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC)
A pipe carrying Farleys Brook runs under Zumis
The home of General Michael Farley was demolished to make way for this service station, which is now the Richdale store.
The home of General Michael Farley was demolished to build a service station
Intersection of Market and Union Streets
Store that once stood at the corner of Market and Union Streets
The second Woolworths building, also no longer standing
The corner of Market and Union Streets today
T. J. Chaput
market_st__jewett_house
The building on the left still stands.
1940s
market_st_horses
1910
Painting by Susan Howard Boice
A. B. Mallard
1909 Market St. Ipswich MA
Ned Brown’s Drug Store in 1909. This building was removed to construct the Ipswich Savings bank at 23 Market Street, now TD Bank.
Woolworth on Market St. in Ipswich
F. W. Woolworth at its original location on the north side of Market Street, circa 1950. Photo courtesy of Susan Hubbard, whose father was the manager of the store.
About 1910
market-st-electricity
1958
1958

Market Square, early 1900s

market_st_40s
hills_first_national_snow_linda_george
First National was on Market Street where the Dollar Store is now
central_st_fire
The morning after the Central Street Fire, January 14, 1894
Looking down Market Street from the foot of Town Hill
Looking down Market Street from the foot of Town Hill. Jewett’s Store is on the right.
Inside a shop on Market St.
Parade on Market St. in the early 1900s
Hills Dept. Store on the left burned. The First National Store was replaced by a dollar store and the building is being enlarged.
market_square_1940
Market St. around 1915
market_street_DSC7903
Northwest side of Market Street looking toward Market Square. Photo by David Stone
The Caldwell Block was constructed in 1870.
Caldwell Block. The Choate Bridge is on the left, and the Market St. buildings on the right are still standing.
The Choate Bridge Pub is at the location of the former Atlas Restaurant.
The Choate Bridge Pub today
Inside Tyler’s Department Store
Trolley tracks at Market Square
Trolley tracks at Market Square
Central St. before 1930
Central St. before it burned in 1894
market-st-sela-tea
A store on Central Street
The 1894 Central St. fire burned the corner of Market St.
This photo of Market Street was taken from Marketplace Square before 1870.
Looking down the hill at Market St., about 1930
Looking back at Market St. in the early 1950s
Looking down the hill at Market St., about 1957
Market St. today, photo by Stony Stone
Looking up toward the North Green, about 1910
12 Market Street, the Abraham Wait house (1832) - Constructed in 183, this house is the only surviving early 19th Century brick building on Market Street. Abraham Wait and his brother operated a shoe store, and over the years the building has been used as a bank, business office, doctors office, and dwelling house.… Continue reading 12 Market Street, the Abraham Wait house (1832)
20 Market Street, the Stacey-Ross house (1734) 20 Market Street, the Stacey-Ross house (1734) - In 1733 John Stacey "being incapable of labor " petitioned the town that he may build a house beside the rocky ledge on the lower North Green "for selling cakes and ale for his livelihood." The house was moved to this location 100 years after its construction. … Continue reading 20 Market Street, the Stacey-Ross house (1734)
Aaron Jewett house, Ipswich MA 24 Market Street, the Aaron Jewett house (c 1800) - Constructed around the beginning of the 19th Century, this small building has served as Tetrault Jewelry Store since 1941, one of the longest-lasting family businesses in Ipswich. … Continue reading 24 Market Street, the Aaron Jewett house (c 1800)
25 Market St., Ipswich MA 25 Market Street, the Nathaniel R. Farley Shoe Factory (1830-56) - One of the oldest commercial buildings still standing on Market Street, it was originally the Nathaniel R. Farley¬†shoe factory. The building was altered in 1856 to its current appearance. In the second half of the 20th Century the building housed Goodhue's Hardware Store,… Continue reading 25 Market Street, the Nathaniel R. Farley Shoe Factory (1830-56)
Ipswich MA post card 27 Market Street, the Ipswich Post Office (1939) - The Ipswich Post Office was built on Market St. in 1939 with U.S. Treasury funds. … Continue reading 27 Market Street, the Ipswich Post Office (1939)
48 Market Street, the Bailey house (c 1887) 48 Market Street, the Bailey house (c 1887) - Dr. George Bailey served as medical examiner for Ipswich and Essex County. His shingle style Victorian home was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.… Continue reading 48 Market Street, the Bailey house (c 1887)
56 Market Street, the Lord-Sullivan-Haskell house (1847) 50-56 Market Street, the Lord-Sullivan-Haskell house (1847) - Captain John Lord made his last voyage as master of the ship Miles Standish to Calcutta sailing May 17, 1855. The next owner was John J. Sullivan was an inventor with multiple patents for improvements to sewing machines. … Continue reading 50-56 Market Street, the Lord-Sullivan-Haskell house (1847)
61 Market St., Ipswich MA 61 Market Street, formerly the Damon Block (1982) - This is the third commercial building at that location. The Court House on Town Hill moved to this location in the mid-19th Century by Curtis Damon. It was destroyed by fire in 1894 and replaced by a large elegant Victorian building which burned twice.… Continue reading 61 Market Street, formerly the Damon Block (1982)

1 thought on “Market Street”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s