The land on which this house sits was granted to early settler Robert Paine Sr. He transferred the property to his son Robert in 1689, and dendrochronology indicates that the junior Robert built this house about 1694. Owned by the Trustees of Reservations, this house is well-preserved example of a First Period, hall and parlor house with a saltbox lean-to. A second house on the property was the summer home of the Robert G. Dodge family. The house is open only occasionally, but the grounds are open and free for visiting every day of the week. Read more about this house at the Historic Ipswich site. View the house on the Trustees of Reservations site.