Samuel Dutch, who listed his occupation as bricklayer, bought this lot in 1723 and within ten years had erected a two story house, which was raised to three stories in the early 19th Century, adopting the appearance of a house constructed during the Federal era. The rear wing has a long chamfered summer beam, found only in First Period houses (houses constructed before 1725.) The interior of the front section of the house still displays some 18th Century details, including the front staircase, doors, paneling and bolection molding on the second floor. Federal-era mantels and paneling are found throughout the house.
In 1730, Dutch bought from Nathaniel Saltonstall, “two thirds of the saw mill standing on the south side of the River, to be improved only when water runs over the dam.” In 1733, he petitioned the Town, “for ease and benefit that may arise in his business at his saw mill near his dwelling house … for a grant of one rod of land on the river bank next the front of his mill.” He sold his house and twenty-four rods of land, “the new saw mill”, and the strip granted by the Town “adjoining to said messuage” to John Treadwell, innholder, Sept. 3, 1742. The property went through several hands over the next decades. The sawmill was conveyed to miller Joseph Farley in 1813, and he conveyed it to the Ipswich Manufacturing Comapnay in 1836. The ancient saw mill and its waterway no longer exist.
View more photos of this house at the Historic Ipswich site.