Shoreborne Wilson, a cooper, bought this lot in 1672 after selling his original lot to Thomas Dennis. Wilson built the northwest portion of the house between 1685 and 1692. Col. Samuel Appleton, a veteran of the Andros Rebellion and the Indian Wars, acquired the house in 1702 and built the southeast portion. In 1920 the house was restored to its late 17th Century appearance. Col Appleton removed to Lynn where he owned the Saugus Iron Works, but returned and lived in the house until his death in 1725. His son Samuel Appleton inherited, but died unexpectedly in London. Creditors took posession of the house, ending ownership by the Appleton family.
Read more about this house at the Historic Ipswich site.