In 1902, Mary Lord of Boston purchased 20 Acres of Land on Argilla Road from the Smith family. No buildings are mentioned in the deed. In 1929, Sidney Lord and other parties sold to Benjamin Van Wick three lots, including buildings, bordering on the lot of Dr. Charles Townsend, the well-known naturalist. Van Wick sold all or part of the property to Sidney Shurcliff and his father Arthur Shurcliff in 1933. Sidney Shurcliff, a Boston landscape architect hired architect George W. W. Brewster to convert the Mary Lord house into his summer residence. The entire footprint and all exterior wall suface of the Lord house were retained, and a living room wing was added. The core of the house remained virtually unchanged as well.
- Architectural Forum, February 1947
- Salem Deeds book 1654, page 214
- Salem Deeds book 2823, page 566
- Salem Deeds book 2949, page 412 (1933)
- Salem Deeds book 3026, page 250
- Salem Deeds book 4362, page 142
- Salem Deeds book 2355, page 152