20th Century houses and buildings in Ipswich, Massachusetts
Histories of a few Ipswich houses and buildings constructed in the Twentieth Century.
16 Manning St. (c 1900) - 16 Manning St., circa 1900. G. A. Lord owned this house, another one house next door and one on High St. 13 Manning St., the Fields house, (c. 1900) - 13 Manning St., is owned by “Mrs. Fields” in the 1910 map. The town assessors database gives the date of construction as 1870. However, the 1884 Ipswich map shows no houses yet constructed on the street, which had not even been added in the 1872 map. 101 Central Street, Newton house (c 1900) - This house first appears in the 1910 Ipswich map on the same lot with the house in front, labeled, “Mrs. Newton.” Sources: Mary Newton to Arthur Bishop, 1908 Salem Deeds, book 1930, page 300 1910 Ipswich map Salem Deeds, 3502/452: Ernest Harding to Dorothy Barney, 1946 4 Old Right Road, the Tenney house (c 1900) - 4 Old Right Road, the Tenney house, c 1900 The small abandoned house, first on the left on Old Right Road (just after passing 282 Linebrook Road) is owned by the State and is part of the Willowdale State Forest. The house first appears on the 1910 Ipswich […] 12 Argilla Road, the Norman J. Bolles house (c 1900) - The first known owner of this house is Norman J. Bolles, president of the Ipswich Savings bank. This house is a fine example of a Queen Anne Cottage. Features include a wealth of shingle types and an exceptional shingled carriage house in the rear which retains a cupola. 10 Brown Street, Essex Hosiery Company worker housing (c 1900) - Several homes on this street were built by the short-lived Essex Hosiery Company to house their employees. The house is typical of the vernacular Victorian "gable with ell" homes built at the end of the 19th Century on Brown and Mineral Streets. 38 Central Street, the Measures building (c 1900) - Austin Measures built this after the Central Street fire of 1894. Measures' Candy Shop was a long-lasting institution that began in a small small building on North Main Street. The building was taken down in 1904 to construct the Colonial Building, and he reopened in this Central Street location. 251 Topsfield Road, Turner Hill (1900) - Construction on the Turner Hill mansion-house began in 1900 for Charles and Ann Rice. She was killed in an equestrian accident in 1933 and a decade later the estate was purchased by the La Salette Fathers. It is now a golf club and condominium development. 2 Brewery Place (Brown Square) Ipswich Ale Brewery (c 1900) - The Burke Shoe Heel factory burned on June 19, 1933, but this wing survived the fire, and is today the Ipswich Ale Brewery. It was the home of Saffron Brothers, the exclusive suppliers of clams to the Howard Johnson chain for 32 years. 11 Depot Square, Russell’s Lunch (circa 1900) - Arthur Honey Russell is said to have been responsible for making the Ipswich fried clam famous. Folks from other cities and towns on the North Shore came to Ipswich on the train or by trolley just to eat at Russell's on Depot Square. 5 Hemlock Drive: Fairview, the Charles Campbell estate (1900) - Hidden in the woods near the corner of County Rd. and Lakeman’s Lane is a beautiful “Tudor Revival” house, built in 1900 for Charles A Campbell. Thomas Franklin Waters wrote about the early history of the property in Volume II, Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony: “On the east side of the Bay […] 211 Argilla Rd., the Mary Ann Archer Lord house (1902) - In 1902, Mary Ann Archer Lord of Boston purchased 20 Acres of Land on Argilla Road from the Smith family. No buildings are mentioned in the deed. In 1929, Sidney Lord and other parties sold to Benjamin Van Wick the property, including buildings, bordering on the lot of […] 6 Riverbank Lane, the Henry Rodman Kenyon house (1902) - In 1899 Kenyon married the t pastel portraitist Caroline A. Savary and by 1901 Kenyon and his wife had settled at Ipswich in a home they called the Riverbank House. His small scenic paintings record the seasons in Ipswich. 20 Manning Street (1902) - 18-20 Manning St. is believed to have been constructed in 1902 and was owned by G. A. Lord in the 1910 Ipswich map. A different structure is shown in the 1893 Ipswich Birdseye Map. 217 Argilla Road, the Townsend house (1902) - In 1892 Dr. Charles Wendell Townsend and his family began spending summers on Argilla Road, staying at Smith’s Boarding house. He built his house a decade later. Townsend is known for his nature studies of the sand dunes and wildlife at Crane Beach and Plum Island. 19 Brown Square (1903) - Harold Bowen wrote that this building was constructed from bricks that were saved from where the parking lot is now for the Ipswich Inn opposite N. Main st. 28 Topsfield Road, Sacred Heart Church (1903) - Large numbers of Polish immigrants began coming to Ipswich in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The church and rectory were constructed in 1908. In 1999 the Archdiocese announced plans to close the church. While the Sacred Heart building retains most of its original appearance, the interior was converted into luxury apartments. The Rectory is now a private residence. 117 County Road, the Hellenic Center (1904) - Mrs. Anna P. Peabody purchased thiis property in 1903-4 and transformed the bare pastures into a beautiful estate which named Floriana. For many years it has served as the Hellenic Center for the town's Greek population. 22 North Main Street, the Colonial Building (1904) - The Colonial Building at 22 North Main Street was built in 1904 as a commercial attempt by the Feoffees of the Little Neck Trust. Ralph A. Daniels of Rowley had a furniture store in the building and Howard J. Blake, jr. had a hardware store at one time. One floor of the building was rented by the School Board in 1907 to accommodate the 9th grade. Charles Lampson converted the building into apartments about 1945. 136 County Rd., the Francis Henry Richardson house (1902) - The artist Francis Henry Richardson built a house for his family in Ipswich after studying at the Academie Julian in France. In Ipswich he concentrated on landscapes and only a few portraits. His exhibitions included the National Academy of Design, Pennsylvania Academy, Detroit Museum of Art, Salamagundi Club and others, receiving the Philadelphia Art Society medal in 1902 and the Boston Art Club Purchase Prize in 1903. 2 Central Street, the Tyler Building (1906) - The Tyler Building, was the last commercial block on Central Street to be constructed after the 1894 Central Street fire. It was the home of Tyler's Department Store and Quint's Drugs. 30 Jeffreys Neck Road, The Searle estate (1910) - This mansion was designed in the form of a Florentine villa, and the living room and dining room were decorated in a Louis XVI style. The house served as the Searle family summer home until 1919, and has been abandoned since the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur purchased the property in 1960, and is in a state of decay. 8 Kimball Ave, the W. B. Richards house (b 1910) - This house originally was at Lords Square, owned by W. B. Richards. In 1940 the home was moved over the High Street bridge to 8 Kimball Avenue where it still stands today, and Mutual built a new service station which now houses Tick's Auto Service. 70 County Road, the John Hayes house (1910) - The hip roof , the generous front porch and extended eaves of this 1910 house draw from the Arts and Crafts architectural styles of the early 20th Century. The Hayes Tavern at Depot Square was known as the Hayes Hotel in the mid-Twentieth Century. 176 Argilla Rd., “Thatchbanks” (1912) - Mr. and Mrs. August Neal Rantoul built their large and solid brick house "Thatchbank" at 176 Argilla Rd. on the southwest side of Goodale pond in 1912 on land purchased from John August Burnham. 1 Poplar Street, the Lathrop house (1912) - This lot is part of the old "School Orchard" on which the town's first grammar school was built. In the 1800's Wallace and Charles Lathrop purchased the land for their well-established coal, ice and wood distribution business. 7 Linebrook Rd. (1914) - The actual date of construction for the house at 7 Linebrook Rd. is unverified. There is a tradition that 5 Linebrook was originally at this location and was moved. 14 Mineral Street (c 1915) - The house at 14 Mineral Street does not appear on the 1910 Ipswich map but was probably constructed or moved to this location soon after. 14 Manning Street (c 1915) - The house at 14 Manning Street does not appear in the 1910 Ipswich map, but based on the architectural characteristics in common with other houses on the street is presumed to have been constructed shortly thereafter. 126 County Road, Benjamin Stickney Cable Memorial Hospital (1916-1987) - Cable Memorial Hospital was built in 1917 on the former Kimball estate, known in Colonial times as Windmill Hill. After his friend Benjamin Stickney Cable was killed in an automotive accident, Richard Teller Crane Jr. purchased the land and donated $145,000 to the hospital construction fund. 208 Argilla Road (1917) the Barney-Smith house - The 1884 Ipswich map shows the owner of the acreage as John B. Caverly. The 1910 Ipswich map shows the property belonging to “Dr. Smith.” On March 29th 1913, Theobald Smith sold “a parcel of land and saltmarsh” to Margaret H. Barney, (Salem Deeds, book 2204, page 575). […] 55 East St. (c 1922) - This house is said to have been constructed from the front left section of Asa Lord's store when it was removed from Lord Square in the 1920s. 39 Mineral Street (c 1920) - The building at this location in the 1910 Ipswich map was a two story barn or storage building belonging to the Smith family. It is unclear if this is the same structure converted into a residence. 21 Manning Street - The date of construction for this house is uncertain. The Ipswich assessors database shows the date of construction as 1990. The 1893 Ipswich birdseye map and 1910 map shows show a utilitarian structure at this location, which may have been converted or a new house placed on an older foundation. 126 High Street, Burnham’s Antiques (c 1920) - Ralph W. Burnham owned several Ipswich antiques businesses at the turn of the 20th Century. He employed experts to repair and restore antique rugs, at High Street store, which was later used as a marine supplies store and still stands today. 33 Central Street, Memorial Hall (1921) - In 1921 the Memorial Building was built in memory of Ipswich Veterans. The long stairs from Central Street were difficult. The town sold the building to a non-profit corporation in 2003 and the building was renovated into affordable elderly housing. 26 Manning Street, the Sullivan house (1927) - The 17th Century Caleb Lord house on the corner of High and Manning Streets was removed in 1927 and was replaced by the home of Bernard Sullivan. This is a modified form of the "American foursquare" house of the 1920's and 30's. The Crane Estate (1928) - Castle Neck and Crane Beach have a long history of ownership by several families before being granted by the Cranes to the Trustees of Reservations. 55 Waldingfield Rd., “Waldingfield” (1929) - Daniel and Helen Appleton built the original Waldingfield mansion with the early Samuel Appleton homestead attached. The houses were were destroyed by fire in 1916. A new house was later built by his daughter, Julia, and her husband, Charles Bird. Trails on the Julia Bird Reservation are open to the public. 402 Linebrook Rd. (1929) - The Colonial replica house at 402 Linebrook Rd. in Ipswich sits across from the Old Linebrook Cemetery. The Ipswich Assessors site lists the date of construction as 1929. The name of the builder is unknown. The owner of the house at this location in 1910 was W. W. […] 44 Argilla Rd. (c 1930) - This seemingly gothic revival house is not on the 1910 map. A 1920 date is on the Patriot Properties site. The date is from Salem Deeds 2869, 598: Deed of land from Elmer A. Wiley to Frederick E. Stevens Bamford, Salem deeds book=02738, page 116 41-47 South Main St., R. W. Davis dealership (1930) - The buildings at 41 and 47 South Main were the R. W. Davis automotive dealership. By 1930 the Thomas Manning house had been moved to the Timothy Souther lot, and R. W. Davis had built a brick building for his automobile dealership. The buildings currently house Anntiques. 10 Brown Square, Tedfords Lumber (1933) - Tedford's Lumber on Brown Square got its start in 1946 when James Tedford Sr. and Bill Martin, just back from the Navy, took a portable sawmill into the woods to cut timber. The next year they decided to open a lumber yard on Brown Square. 246 High St., Ipswich Clam Box, (1935) - Mr. Richard J. Greenleaf Jr. devised the design of this building constructed it with the aid of his brother-in-law and a carpenter. The design was based on the box in which fried clams were sold. The building was originally constructed of homasote and was painted silver with red […] 25 Green Street, the Ipswich Town Hall (1935) - A large jail/insane asylum was built on the Green Street location in 1828. It was torn down in 1934 to make room for a new high school. The building now serves as the Ipswich Town Hall. The prison workhouse still stands and was remodeled into a senior residence center. 411 Linebrook Rd. (1938) - This house is said to have been constructed in 1938 to resemble the house at 419 Linebrook, incorporating similar features of the Greek Revival Vernacular style. 8 Liberty Street, colonial revival cape (1938) - This 1938 Cape at 8 Liberty St. is the newest house on the street, built in 1938 on the stone foundation of an earlier house owned by J. Russell, according to the 1910 Ipswich map. Concrete walls were poured around that foundation, expanding it to a width of […]
61 Market Street, formerly the Damon Block (1982) - This is the third commercial building at that location. The Court House on Town Hill moved to this location in the mid-19th Century by Curtis Damon. It was destroyed by fire in 1894 and replaced by a large elegant Victorian building which burned twice.