This site was originally part of the holdings of the descendants of Nehemiah Jewett, long time member of the General Court (1679-1709) and Ipswich Village’s most prominent citizen. History of the site detailed by Waters indicates that Daniel S. Appleton built the house in 1879 and sold it to Charles B. Guilford, a farmer, in 1880. Charles and Fostina were wed at Ipswich on July 28, 1878.
The building remained in the Guilford family until after 1910. Several years ago, two carefully lettered gravestones for horses were unearthed on this site. The dates indicate that they were placed by the Appleton and Guilford families.