The so-called Whitehead House (c. 1840) retains its original exterior finish and is noteworthy for its simple, well-proportioned Greek Revival form with characteristic sidelights and transom surrounding the front door. The two story farmhouse was purchased by Bradley Palmer from the Small family in the early 20th century and became part of his large country estate. It formerly served as forest headquarters and residence for the park superintendent. The DCR refers to it as the Whitehead house, but the reason is unknown.
The 1910 Ipswich ma shows it owned by Albert M. Small, but the 1832 map show that the property was owned by Jonathan Chapman. The Vital Records of Ipswich show Jonathan M. chapman, yeoman buried at Linebrook, died June 14, 1848, age 75 y. In the 1872 and 1884 maps the owner is Daniel G. Chapman. The Chapmans owned several other houses in this neighborhood, including the First Period house still standing across the road at 297 Linebrook Rd.
Daniel G. Chipman sold 15 acres and the buildings thereon, neighboring on Joseph Chapman, to Julius L. Torrell of Salem on June 9, 1897. (Book=01517 & page=307). A year later it was sold at public auction to Alvah and Mabel Bigelow (Book 01537 & page 322), and in 1898 the house was sold by the Torrells to Albert M. Small (Book 1549 – page 148) with a release by Bigelow.