The house at 3 East Street was built between 1856 and 1872. Thomas Franklin Waters wrote that this lot was owned by the Rev. John Norton, pastor of the church in Ipswich from 1636-52, in his book, “Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony” Volume 1.
- “Mr. Norton purchased Mr. Fawn’s house on East Street, on the site of the Foster Russell house.”
- Samuel Hunt purchased the ancient Day-Dodge house at the corner of North Main and East Streets on Feb. 14, 1849 (408: 16).
- “Mr. Hunt sold a half acre at the foot of his lot on East St. to Foster Russell and D. P. Nourse, May 9, 1855 (577: 129). Mr. Russell built the house now owned and occupied (in 1917) by his son, Maynard Russell.”
- “The heirs of Mr. Hunt sold also a building lot to Mrs. Sadie B. Stockwell, upon which the dwelling was built, April 27, 1888 (1220: 73) and another to James W. Perkins, April 12, 1890 (1275: 447).”
The 1856 Ipswich map shows Burroughs Machine Shop at this location. In the 1872 map Samuel Hunt owns three connecting lots.
The 1896 Ipswich Business Directory lists J.W. Perkins, Provisions and Meat Market on East Street. In the 1950’s and 60’s the house was owned by Paul & Barbara Clancy.