According to the owner in 1980, who is a Conant by birth, the house was built by a Conant from lumber gathered on the family property in the area. As near as can be determined the house was built c. 1833 by Deacon William Foster Conant (b. 1802, d. 1886). It does not appear on the 1832 map. Deacon Conant was, like his father and grandfather, a well-respected member of the community. He was a deacon and leader of Linebrook Church for more than 50 years. He was also a captain in the Linebrook Militia. His business included lumbering, farming, and road building. At his death the property included a shoemaking shop (one of half a dozen in the immediate neighborhood). In 1910 the house was owned by W.F. Conant’s grandson, William Osborn Conant.
This is one of three houses in Linebrook of the type sometimes known as Country Federal, 2 stories in height, five bays wide, one room deep, with two rear chimneys. The building contains the small stair hall with three-run stairs of an earlier central-chimney-plan house. The interior of the house displays a mixture of Federal and Greek Revival finishes including a mantelpiece with broad frieze and pilaster strips, wide board dado in some rooms and baseboards of Greek Revival profile in others, sliding shutters, and doors with flat panels and a triple-bead molding at the edge of the stiles and rails. Two fireplaces have ovens with cast iron doors. The chimneys are supported in the basement by brick arches. The house is very similar in character to the historic Daniel Nourse House at 243 High St. of 1809, which the owners have unfortunately allowed to deteriorate.
- Conant, Frederick Odell. History and Genealogy of the Conant Family in England America. privately printed, 1887.
- Perley, Martin Van Buren. History and Genealogy of the Perley Family, 1906. Perley, Martin Van Buren.
- “Linebrook Militia,” Nos. 10 (June 24), 11 (July 1), 16 (August 19), 17 (August 26). Ipswich Chronicle, 1910. 1832