John A. Brown sold this lot to George B. Brown in 1883 and he built a house shortly thereafter. Brown’s house is one of the few Stick Style Victorian homes in Ipswich. Brown built a grist mill, also located on Washington St., in 1881. He started with a single team and by 1888 employed 6 men. Brown was the first in the area to install a roller mill, which removed all foreign iron substances from the grain before it entered the mill. This new method was known for saving machinery wear and produced cleaner, better grain.
Sources and further reading:
- George Brown House, c.31 Washington St, 1883 (MACRIS)
- John A. Brown tombstone, Old South Cemetery, Ipswich
- Ada J. Dole Brown (wife of George B.) tombstone, Old North Burying Ground
- Mary Abby Lord Brown (wife of John A. Brown) tombstone, Old North Burying Ground
- George B. Brown House, 14 Liberty St.
- 1896 Directory of the Town of Ipswich
- The Agawam manual and directory: a directory of the Agawam district : first part, Ipswich, Rowley, and Hamilton, 1888 – Perley, M. V. B
- 1940 Census: George B. Brown at Liberty St.
- Candlewood: John Brown