This site was purchased by Captain Moses Jewett in the 19th century when he extended his holdings. Olive Jewett, daughter of Moses Jewett, Jr., married Captain George Washington Howe of Rowley in 1835 and Captain Howe built the present house. The rear ell of the house may be an older building that was moved from a location in Rowley. There was a shoemaker’s shop here in the late 19th century, and it is possible that Captain Howe carried on the trade. The barn, built in 1907, was originally on the north side of the house near the road.