The Ipswich database at Patriot Properties shows the date of construction for 34 Lakeman’s Lane as 1939, which may be when it acquired its present modern appearance after the ownership of William Cameron. The original (center) section matches the configuration of a house at this location in the 1910 map and has post and beam construction with mortised studs, on top of a stone foundation. Deed searches suggest that Asa Wade’s barn may have been converted into a residence by Mary or William Kinsman. Asa Wade purchased the Potter farm on County Rd. in 1857, and sold that plot to George Barnard in 1899.
The area along Lakeman’s Lane had been common land into the early 18th Century, and parts of it were also in Wade’s possession. Asa Wade’s Ipswich house still stands across from the South Green, and deeds list only a barn at his pasture on Lakeman’s Lane. Although deeds list Asa Wade as a resident of Cambridge, he was a member of the extensive Wade family on County Rd., a descendant of Nathaniel Wade, the Revolutionary soldier whose house also stands at the corner of County and Ward Streets, and is buried at the Old South Cemetery across from his County Rd. house.
- William Cameron owned lots on both sides of Lakeman’s Lane in the 1910 Ipswich map.
- In 1928, Margaret Cameron (widow) and Chester Cameron sold two undivided third parts of a lot on Lakeman’s Lane to Mary and Thomas Baker for $1.00. “with the buildings thereon.” (book 02753, page 268).
- That deed refers to a transfer of title by Annie Kinsman to William Cameron in 1894. ( book 1412, page 521).
- The deed from Mary Kinsman to William Kinsman in 1883 doesn’t mention a building. (book 1107 page 83)
- The deed to William Kinsman refers to the 1880 purchase of 40 acres from Asa Wade to Mary Kinsman, “containing a barn. (book 1055, page 292).
- Asa Wade sold another section of his extensive farm in 1866 “with buildings thereon”. (book 709, page 123).
Photos of the basement and framing in the oldest section: